What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point

I hate the concept.

It should never have been brought in. A draw is a draw. If it's a game where there has to be a winner like a final then extra time is more just, and exciting. There is no reason why a game should end when a point is scored.

That penalty last night was an anti climax. The climax was that great play by Bird to send his winger over to score and level in the dying minutes. Pretty much the same thing happened in the derby a number of years ago with Blacklock running onto a grubber by Barrett to equalise in the last minute.

That was a pulsating finish with Bay 38 going mad. The "Blacklock" chant went up and he came over to the Army and made an "I can't hear you" gesture and gave us a big thumbs up. The conversion was potted and the game ended 26 all.

Both teams went over to clap their respective supporters groups and received a raucous reception themselves, with both sets of fans defiantly trying to claim victory. I imagine it would have been quite a sight but I was to busy fist pumping to take it in.

Golden Point robs us of games like this. It is a joke and there was really no need for it in the first place. It should be scrapped.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I've never been a fan of the golden point in regular season. Not the first I've said and nothing to do with last night's match.

IMO, a draw is result as well. 1 point each on the ladder, too easy.

Serb Dragon

Juniors
FollwMeUpToCarlton, i bet that woulda been a cracker night, with both teams in vicotry mode. No losers on that night, just winners. I'm with you 2

Inferno

Coach
Never liked it, a win in GP point feels twice as good, but a loss feels 5 times worse.

Bring back the draw.

Never liked it, a win in GP point feels twice as good, but a loss feels 5 times worse.

Bring back the draw.

I don't think it does feel twice as good... or twice as bad. Win or lose on golden point it just feels kind of empty for me.

FIFA scrapped the golden goal and went back to extra time. The golden goal made teams too defensive and ultimately lead to more games going through to shoot outs.

In League it's even more ridicules as it really is a boring matter of teams just doing one pass hit ups to get into field goal range and then having a shot. It's basically Rugby Union.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Of course there has been talk of watering down the golden point time to being decided by a try... not by a field goal or penalty goal. When those sort of changes start coming into place, you may as well scrap the golden point rule altogether. But I suspect they'll persist.

Its OK for rep matches or the semis, but I can't see any reason for it during the regular season.

Glad I'm not the only one...

As I said, extra time is preferable to golden point for matches where one team must progress. That is, if a team scores they still play out the 5, 10 minutes or whatever time is left. One team desperately trying to score, the other desperately trying to hold on... I've seen some great FA Cup ties finish like that. Don't tell me that's not more exciting or fairer then score and that's it, game over.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
Next time you guys win a game in golden point - come back and say that you hate the concept and it should be scrapped.

It all smells of sour grapes at the moment, enjoy your whine.

Next time you guys win a game in golden point - come back and say that you hate the concept and it should be scrapped.

I can see you're an intelligent, thoughtful man...

The reason I brought it up now was because I thought it would be topical. I gave an example of a great draw that I as a fan at the game thoroughly enjoyed. Would I have wanted that game to go to golden point? Absolutely not.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Never liked it. You get your 80 minutes... can't win it ? Stiff sh*t, you had your chance.

A win in golden point by field goal is a cheap victory.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Grow up. You've obviously missed the point of the thread.

Slackboy72

Coach
I've always hated it because it can come down to who wins the toss. Extra time is fine but there really is no need to have a result in a regular season game.

Would I be right in saying that in a GF we have extra-time before golden point?

W.Smith

Juniors
Im with the consensus and hate GP in regular season, just such a negative, if their wasnt GP you wouldnt have had all the draws we have the past couple seasons as teams would be playing to win in those last couple minutes instead of attempting field goals or playing it safe etc

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think they should have Golden point and the winner gets 2 points, BUT the loser should get 1. Its' only fair thet the loser gets something out of it. Realistically they never lost the game during normal time so why should they get 0 points.

At the end of the day it could make a difference. A team that has lost 3 games to Golden point can get below in the standings on the ladder to a team that got flogged twice.Where as with the point they get some reward and can stay in front.

OurRedV

Juniors
So much "red tape" is creeping into our game it's not funny.

Bring back Scrums! Bring back Draws!

Ribs

Bench
Im ok with golden point, the main problem with golden point and St George is that generally the team that comes up with the error loses.

We are the team that will come up with the error.

big pat

Coach
ask newcastle fans who a couple of weeks ago lost to the eels, it was such a great game of football, both teams were out on their feet after 80 mins, i think 1 point each would have been a good result.

Latest posts