What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point

mxlegend99

Referee
1 point each for a draw is fair and better than the lottery that is golden point. If two teams are equal at 80 minutes. One team getting nothing and the other getting 2 points isn't fair when its simply a matter of luck most times.

In finals matches we obviously need a winner to set up the matches the following week. 10 minutes extra time followed by golden point would is probably the best way to reduce luck deciding it.

adamkungl

Immortal
Golden try/redoing the ladder points - lipstick on a pig. Always a believer in Keep It Simple Stupid.

Golden point was added for entertainment value, at the cost of some competition integrity and fairness.
To me, the transaction does not come out positive for the NRL.

GP is certainly entertaining, to an extent. You could argue that the quality of football played in overtime is poor, but few would argue the tension and drama doesn't go through the roof.

But does it have "Value"? I don't think so. Being fun is all good and well but how does that translate to more viewers and more money? Does the small chance of a golden point game entice anyone to watch that normally wouldn't? Since they're rare and unpredictable, I think it's a big stretch to claim there's any financial value to advertisers in people potentially hearing that there's a game that's gone to GP and switching on for less than 5 minutes.

In short - GP is sometimes entertaining but holds little actual value for the sport.
Any addition to a sport that effects competition fairness should have clear, demonstrable financial value that outweighs a small integrity cost.
Golden Point does not.

Bring back the draw

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Nothing wrong with having a draw, everyone gets 80 mins to win a game, that's it. Except finals of course.

If they want a winner then surely for the look of the game, only penalty kicks or tries are acceptable point scoring options.

Eion

First Grade
Golden try would degenerate into an absolute travesty of hold downs and offsides. You probably wouldn’t get many tries.

Keep golden point but adjust the points structure so you at least get some reward for drawing in normal time.

The thing that gets me in Golden point is that you can lose the game without having an attacking set. This simply is not fair (although it bought the lolz when it happened to St George v us with a Ryles penalty). They don't even do this in Oztag where in golden point if you concede in the first set, you get a set to equalise.

Sphagnum

Coach
Golden try would degenerate into an absolute travesty of hold downs and offsides. You probably wouldn’t get many tries.

Keep golden point but adjust the points structure so you at least get some reward for drawing in normal time.
Send someone off every time there is a penalty in ot will stop that

t-ba

Post Whore
If they are going to insist on Golden point we should move to a soccer type points situation. Three for an outright win, zero for a loss, 1 for both teams in case of a draw and an extra point if you can win golden point.

Might even help to break the table up a bit.

Last edited:

Eion

First Grade
If they are going to insist on Golden shoulpoint wed move to a soccer type points situation. Three for an outright win, zero for a loss, 1 for both teams in case of a draw and an extra point if you can win golden point.

Might even help to break the table up a bit.
There’s the argument that each game needs to be worth the same points, so what do you do if still a draw after extra time? They can do it with 4 points. 4 for a normal win. 3 and 1 for a win after extra. 2 each for a draw after extra time.

Takes the sour taste away a bit for those losing in extra time as they get a point at least, and as you say reduces the need for for and against come finals time.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Last year they actually penalized teams in GP, this year it’s back to everyone being 3ms offside for field goals.

I prefer a draw or 5 mins each way extra time. Golden point is stupid. We just see one out hit ups for 6/7 tackles then a shot at field goal which gets Blocked 90% of the time as the defence is miles offside

Grapple

Bench
I think what it comes down to is the fact teams are not creative enough and/or too buggered to really give the game and fans anything "Golden" enough to celebrate.

Card Shark

Immortal
90% of the planet have soccer football as their major sport.

They have draws every 3rd game & no one cares.

When was the last time we had a draw after stupid golden point.

It’s only a draw if the field goal kickers are shit.

Teams on odd points after 24 rounds is a better way to determine finals positions than for & against!

T-Boon

Coach
But does it have "Value"? I don't think so. Being fun is all good and well but how does that translate to more viewers and more money? Does the small chance of a golden point game entice anyone to watch that normally wouldn't? Since they're rare and unpredictable, I think it's a big stretch to claim there's any financial value to advertisers in people potentially hearing that there's a game that's gone to GP and switching on for less than 5 minutes.

In short - GP is sometimes entertaining but holds little actual value for the sport.

Probably the only value it adds is that it adds emotional to the end of that game.
Think: the image of Cleary after hitting the winner (in comparison to a standard win) and on the flip side the emotions of the loser and you have to think this represents the emotions of fans in the stand and on TV. Compare that with the dull emotion of a draw (this was talked about as the reason golden point came in to begin with).
Heightened emotion adds to the fans desire to want to come back.

siv

First Grade
1 point each for a draw is fair and better than the lottery that is golden point. If two teams are equal at 80 minutes. One team getting nothing and the other getting 2 points isn't fair when its simply a matter of luck most times.

In finals matches we obviously need a winner to set up the matches the following week. 10 minutes extra time followed by golden point would is probably the best way to reduce luck deciding it.

For finals I prefer 10 min each way

If still even - then team who finished higher on the competition table wins

some11

Referee
Regular season draw, I'd rather the Dragons win like they did against the Broncos vs the way they did against the Knights.

adamkungl

Immortal
Probably the only value it adds is that it adds emotional to the end of that game.
Think: the image of Cleary after hitting the winner (in comparison to a standard win) and on the flip side the emotions of the loser and you have to think this represents the emotions of fans in the stand and on TV. Compare that with the dull emotion of a draw (this was talked about as the reason golden point came in to begin with).
Heightened emotion adds to the fans desire to want to come back.

Getting into wishy washy territory here though. I get what you're trying to say, but it's almost impossible to measure whether this is true or not.

And do heightened feelings of unfairness and resentment create repeat customers?

colly

Juniors
For me draws have a place. I'd rather the extra time then a draw.
For a extra time win you get 1.5 points while the loser gets 0.5 points
If scores level after extra time 1 point each as per usual.

This plays out better on the points table and reflects better a teams performance throughout the year.
As I have said before you can then have a competition before the main comp and give out competition points like say 2.0 winner Runner up 1.5, then semi finalist (losing) 1 point each. So opening golden point games to theses 'half points' One can create extra product with the prize of competition points.

T-Boon

Coach
If you brought in an optional 3 point play after each try (so conversion worth 2 or you can elect to go for 3 points) you would hardly ever have level scores at end of 80.

Pedge1971

First Grade
For a extra time win you get 1.5 points while the loser gets 0.5 points
If scores level after extra time 1 point each as per usual.

This plays out better on the points table and reflects better a teams performance throughout the year.
As I have said before you can then have a competition before the main comp and give out competition points like say 2.0 winner Runner up 1.5, then semi finalist (losing) 1 point each. So opening golden point games to theses 'half points' One can create extra product with the prize of competition points.

You had me at 1.5 winner and 0.5 loser but lost ne again on the last paragraph. Did not underayand what you meant?

Springs09

Juniors
Last year they actually penalized teams in GP, this year it’s back to everyone being 3ms offside for field goals.

I prefer a draw or 5 mins each way extra time. Golden point is stupid. We just see one out hit ups for 6/7 tackles then a shot at field goal which gets Blocked 90% of the time as the defence is miles offside

Yeah but remember the game has to 'flow'

Draw or 10 minutes extra time full stop. No golden anything. A gimmick that's outgrown its welcome by about 10 years now. The finals games we've had in recent years with no golden point have been so much better than golden point games.