What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point

no name

Coach
Send someone off every time there is a penalty in ot will stop that
It would actually increase the negative play (offsides, holding down etc) as the refs would be even more reluctant to penalise if a send off was part of the consequence.

Reflector

Juniors
Nothing wrong with a draw in regular season games. For Origin, Test matches and finals matches, set extra time is the way to go. Wobbly field goal shoot-outs are a rubbish way to win/ lose a game, especially if the losing team didn't get an attacking set.

Think of how much more interesting the conclusion to the 2015 GF might have been with a set 10 minutes extra time? Broncos could have got a legitimate chance to cancel out JT's field goal instead of their entire golden point success literally slipping through Ben Hunt's fingertips.

Imagine if they only had golden point back in '89? The decider would've been finished with Sully's field goal and that was it. We'd still be arguing over whether Canberra deserved to win it because there never would've been the regulation time for them to underline their case.

The Rosco

Bench
I'd do away with Golden Point because it disadvantages the Wests Tigers, who are incapable of winning them.

It is also bad for Ben Hunt's mental health.
You speak the truth, Tommy.
As a WT supporter, I shouldn't comment . . . it's also bad for my mental health .
I felt shoomed when NC nailed the sideline conversion, and shummed when he slotted home the FG.

firechild

First Grade
If you brought in an optional 3 point play after each try (so conversion worth 2 or you can elect to go for 3 points) you would hardly ever have level scores at end of 80.
We hardly ever do with the current points structure. Stop trying to bring your stupid ideas into the game. This past weekend was quite an anomaly.

LineBall

Juniors
Could it work? NRL to look at overhauling Golden Point system
NRL PREMIERSHIP

643d3b61d3a43c9dee40956add585b08

The NRL will review the golden point system at the end of the season. (AAP: Brendon Thorne)Source: AAP
The NRL will consider overhauling the competition points system to allow teams who lose in golden point to walk away with something for their efforts.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield is reporting the NRL will discuss the option of allocating four points for a win, and three points for a golden-point win, when the competition committee meets at the end of the season.

The new system would allocate one point for a loss in extra time.

Merits of the golden point system have long been debated, but the subject is once again up for discussion as three games finished in a draw after 80 minutes in Round 4. While Penrith, Manly and the Dragons scored the two points for a win, the Wests Tigers, South Sydney and Newcastle all got zip.

NRL’s head of football Graham Annesley told The Telegraph the league has looked at changes to the points system in the past, but it would be irresponsible not to revisit the suggestion.

“We’re open to discussions on these sort of issues,” Annesley said.

Trust the NRL to make things even worse. I don't blame them for trying things - like golden point, but they never seem to be able to say, "This didn't work - let's go back to how things were before". If they make this change, teams that lose by 1 point in regular time still get zero points, and those that lose in extra time get 1 point. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

GAZF

First Grade
It would be very NRL to start up the 4 points for a win system mid season, and non-retroactively.

T-Boon

Coach
We hardly ever do with the current points structure. Stop trying to bring your stupid ideas into the game. This past weekend was quite an anomaly.

But thats my job here. If I stopped, who would play the role of "brilliant new ideas man"?
I am announcing a new idea I have for the game in the Cave forum tomorrow morning at 6am.
All are welcome.

peter file

Juniors
Three points for a GP win will open the door for exploitation.
Team A and Team B level in 8th place going into the last round - Team A have a better for and against.
Team A plays on the Friday or Saturday and wins. Team B may get to the lead by 6 points with a few minutes to go and they will then have every incentive to let in a try under the posts to tie the game up and try to get the extra competition point in extra time.
Maybe far-fetched; maybe not ...

T-Boon

Coach
The points system is not what is bad about golden point. Whats bad is the football. How does changing the point system change the garbage Rugby union type football?
There are heaps of better things to do to improve it.
Get rid of the kick off. Just give each team a set of possession from the opponents 30m line, golden try. If the defending team defends the set they get a set on the opponents 30. Go until someone scores a try.

VictoryFC

Bench
I'm on board.

4 for a win.
3 for a GP win.
2 for a draw after GP.
1 for a GP loss.
0 for a loss.

Yep, rework the entire point system for something that happens once in a blue moon. Of course, the minute it happens a couple of times close to eachother, it’s time to change it.

The real answer to this question is no golden point and 1 point each for draw.

grouch

First Grade
Bit harsh giving a team 0 points for a loss imo.

7 points for a win by 51 points or more
6 points for a win by 5-50 points
5 points for a GP win
4 points for a draw
3 points for a GP loss
2 points for a loss in which the other team scores tries from kicks
1 point for a loss

Latest posts