What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point

siv

First Grade
The problem is not true league fans who follow a team as the win loss or draw effects their team

Depending upon the outcome you are happy or disatisfied

Its the casual fan who has no interest in league that seems to like the pressure of golden point situations

I beleive we shouldnt be developing a sport for passers by

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Surely you see the entertainment value in field goal attempts from 60m out barely passing the 20m line?
I don't see why a draw isn't a satisfactory outcome when it is for just about any other sport.

I know! It beggins at the 70th minute, why do we need another 10mins max of it. Christ!

T-Boon

Coach
I beleive we shouldnt be developing a sport for passers by

I obviously disagree with this.
My opinion is we should change every rule we can that will result in:
1. passers by taking a look/interest; but
2. which at the same time does not turn off the hard core fan enough that they move on.

That, I think is how you grow a sport how for example American football became the juggernaut that it is in America.

lockyno1

Post Whore
If there has to be Golden Point, it needs to be a system where the other side has the right of reply.

hrundi99

First Grade
I've said it before and i'll say it again.

It should be like then NHL we're if it's even after 80 mins then both teams get a point. A team then winning in golden point gets the extra point.

lockyno1

Post Whore

It should be like then NHL we're if it's even after 80 mins then both teams get a point. A team then winning in golden point gets the extra point.

I like the change to 4 points for a win

3 points for a GP win, 1 point for a loss

siv

First Grade

Or a radical system like

After 80 mins if scores are even both teams get a point

Vanfan

Juniors
I'll speak only for myself
Ive said it for a long time, nothing wrong with a draw
I personally dont really care how "satisfying" people find it to have a result, the game is 80 minutes, IMO you've got that period to sort it out amongst yourselves and if you cant, a point each is fine.

I totally agree. The circus that is Golden Point only came about after the 2002 State of Origin series when it was one game each and a draw. This meant that Queensland were deemed to have retained the State of Origin shield because they won the 2001 series. What a screamfest we had then!

Golden Point was then introduced for the 2003 NRL season and it has been a blight on the game ever since.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with recording a draw, but we live in times where someone has to win and someone has to lose. It's just a shame we can't acknowledge and reward a valiant effort from both combatants.

LineBall

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/go...in-nrl-extra-time-revamp-20190904-p52nvn.html

Golden point could be axed in NRL extra-time revamp

Golden point could be abandoned by the start of the next NRL season or the scoring system in extra time radically revised as administrators come to terms with games being effectively decided by a toss of a coin while the code is driving parity through strictly enforced salary caps, football department spending limits and shared stadiums.

NRL head of football Graham Annesley has revealed golden point has been under serious discussion at League Central recently and it will be reviewed by the competition committee in November.

Two results in round 24 have caused concern with long-term league watchers. The Eels were defeated in extra time last Friday night without touching the ball. The Broncos kicked a field goal at the end of the first set of six tackles, meaning the game ended without the Eels having any opportunity to score.

Two days later, in Paul Gallen’s final match at PointsBet Stadium, the Raiders kicked a one pointer in extra time.

Gallen plays again on Sunday when the Sharks hope to defeat Wests Tigers and progress to the semi-finals. Furthermore, his team did have the opportunity to score first against the Raiders, having received the ball from the kick-off. Seven sets were played before the Raiders won in extra time but increasingly at the end of tightly contested games and the finish of a long, gruelling season, golden point is a case of lottery luck, disrespecting the 80 minutes which have preceded it.

Annesley said: "The NRL has actually given this some thought recently and will further discuss golden point variations with the competition committee when it meets early in November. Over the years, there have been a number of alternatives floated, such as golden try, minimum time periods and even scrapping it all together. None of these have generated much traction, however, I do think both teams should get at least one possession each before a match is decided."

Champion Data has trawled though the records back to 2014 to determine how many sets were played in extra time before a match was won.

In those six seasons, there have been 50 golden point games, with five won in the opening set, at an average time of one minute, hardly sufficient to restart a game. Ten games have been decided in two sets; nine in three sets; six in four, with only three drawn at the end of extra time.

Annesley introduced golden point after a study trip to the United States when he was NRL chief operating officer before becoming NSW Minister for Sport and then chief executive of Gold Coast Titans.

However, the NRL golden point system is not the same as the ones practised by the NFL or in American college football.

Last year’s Tom Brock Scholar for rugby league research, young American Spencer Kassimir, has recommended the NRL adopt a variation of the American models. Kassimir studied at the University of Southern California and Harvard Business School and learned to love league via late night television.

Annesley said: "I do think the NCAA [college football] model is quite a good option as it ensured both teams get at least one possession before the match is decided". The NCAA model is more equitable than the NFL system which allows a team to score a touchdown on its opening drive and win. However, if it kicks a field goal, the opponent can tie the NFL match with a field goal and the game continues until one team scores again.

Kassimir, whose love of league extends to him refereeing games in Melbourne, said: "The NRL can learn a lot from both the NFL and NCAA overtime rules but it is crucial to understand that the NCAA games never end in a tie, whereas the NFL still can."

Kassimir shares the view of many long-term league figures, who are not opposed to draws, believing the odd-numbered premiership points on the ladder are a superior means to deciding the top eight, rather than points differential.

"I am OK with a draw but if the goal is to ensure there are none, we need a blend of the two American systems," he said.

"I am not OK with golden point as it trivialises the 80 minutes of play into a random coin toss due to the 10-metre retreat of tired players to the defensive line making a charge down so difficult. NFL, NCAA and rugby union have no retreat and Canadian football has a one-yard retreat."

Born in the USA ... how the NRL could take cue from American football

Kassimir explained how a hybrid American system would work to make a result in the NRL in extra time more equitable.

"The ball would be placed 20 metres from the try line, with possession going to the team which won the coin toss at the beginning of the match, or having a second coin toss to determine who receives first use of the ball," he said.

"The team in possession will be given one set of six tackles to score. If that team scores a try, they will be given the opportunity to convert it. The opponent would then be given the ball and re-start play 20 metres from their try line. The same scoring options would apply.

"The team with the second possession would be given the opportunity to tie, or win the game, or not score at all. If the game is tied by the second team scoring the same number of points, the process would be repeated two more times.

"At this point, the NRL needs to decide how desperately they want to not have a drawn game. If they feel, ‘enough is enough’, which should be the case – given player safety – then follow the NFL lead in this respect and accept a tied game."

LineBall

Juniors
Don't know why they have to make it so difficult. Get rid of Golden point for normal round fixtures. Let each team get 1 point for their efforts.

For finals matches, play 10 minutes extra time. Make it 10 continuous minutes too. 5 minute halves are too short. No golden point, the team ahead at the end of extra time wins. If still drawn after that, then do another 10 minutes, etc.

Diesel

Coach
We’ve had GP since 2003 and it hardly can be called a success. Draws from 1895 (or 1908) to 2002 seemed to work fine.

Loose Cannon

Bench
So if “losing” team of a first set score, gets the right of reply, that would mean they kick off (as the conceding team should). Let’s look at an extreme possibility.

Leading team catches the kick-off, 5 hit-ups to 40 out, followed by a 40/20. 5 more plays inside the 20, and force the line-drop. Rinse and repeat.

Another set, 5 plays but a turnover 2m out from the line.

Here’s your one chance to even it up! It’s a fair system.

siv

First Grade
Don't know why they have to make it so difficult. Get rid of Golden point for normal round fixtures. Let each team get 1 point for their efforts.

For finals matches, play 10 minutes extra time. Make it 10 continuous minutes too. 5 minute halves are too short. No golden point, the team ahead at the end of extra time wins. If still drawn after that, then do another 10 minutes, etc.

Agree - But finals are seeded

My only variation on this

If drawn at end of 20 minutes extra time. The team who was seeded higher is declared the winner

week 1 / week 2 finals the seeding comes from the comp table

Week 3 / 4 finals initial seeding is from winner of 1v4 2v3 then comp table

Perth Red

Post Whore
Here we go again, decision by media. Golden point was brought in because of media whinging, now they've decided they dont like it and its being reviewed. Here's a novel idea NRL, why not ask fans and players what they think of it and make a decision based on the two most important stakeholders!

Latest posts