What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Try > Golden Point

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Its time to face the music: if the comp is going to insist on this ridiculous speed of play, where teams can make 55+ metres in one set without that much drama, and a random six again can spring up out of nowhere making it even easier, then it's time to switch to golden try. Gaining that sort of territory in golden point just makes it way, way too easy to decide a game with a field goal. Get the kicker 20 metres out in front of the sticks and your dead grandmother could slot it over, and deciding games like that is just nonsense.

You have 10 minutes to get a man across the stripe. With the way the game flows nowadays, that isn't much of an ask when the win is on the line. You can't manage that, you get your 1 point and go home with your mouth shut. If you wanna jazz it up a bit, if you fail to convert the try, the opposition gets the remainder of the clock to respond.

nko11

Juniors
Golden try, but if you kick a field goal (and lead) and the 10 minutes elapses you get the 2 points. Employs a bit more strategy and brings in alot more interesting potential finishes - early field goal from one team and a golden try at the end by the other team to snatch it. Rewards the better team, either through strategy or attacking play.

MugaB

Coach
I dont mind the golden point, every 2 points matter, if your drawn after 80mins, then reality is do what you can to punch out the win

Wizardman

First Grade
I think rugby league has got this exactly right.

Rugby league is entertainment and we want to see a result over a draw.

Teams have 80 minutes to score more points than the opposition. If they cannot achieve that, than Im okay for them to have an extra 10 minutes to get ahead by any means neccessary. The game needs to end asap for player welfare, different timetables of organizations etc.

I have no sympathy if a team loses by a fg in golden point. They had 80 minutes earlier for them to not be in that position.

If a team cannot sort it out within the extra 10 minutes, Im happy for them to share the points.

Did anybody see Buzz's shocking idea to give the losing team in golden point a competition point? That bastard just has no idea. How does he work for a major newspaper and tv station?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anything that makes us look less like union is alright by me. Id get rid of drop goals all together.

docbrown

Coach
Golden try, but if you kick a field goal (and lead) and the 10 minutes elapses you get the 2 points. Employs a bit more strategy and brings in alot more interesting potential finishes - early field goal from one team and a golden try at the end by the other team to snatch it. Rewards the better team, either through strategy or attacking plaplay
Field goals add points to the scoreline.
A try or time running out ends it.
Sounds good to me.

Fangs

Coach
Golden try, but if you kick a field goal (and lead) and the 10 minutes elapses you get the 2 points. Employs a bit more strategy and brings in alot more interesting potential finishes - early field goal from one team and a golden try at the end by the other team to snatch it. Rewards the better team, either through strategy or attacking play.

Totally agree. Much like the Snitch in Quidditch.

In fact, we should have a Harry Potter round in the NRL. Penrith would don the Gryffindor colours while the likes of Souths and Brisbane would be in Slytherin.

yobbo84

First Grade
What if a team kicks three penalty goals in extra time and then concedes a try? Loses when they score more points? Highly unlikely yes but not impossible.

Fangs

Coach
What if a team kicks three penalty goals in extra time and then concedes a try? Loses when they score more points? Highly unlikely yes but not impossible.

I think he meant to cover that in his ruleset.

Its basically extra time but the golden try (or snitch) can decide the game.

Wizardman

First Grade
Either a draw or 2 x 5 min extra time.
Plenty of teams win GP with a field goal without out the team having possession
and I couldn't give a shit when that happens either if a team loses without possession in ET. They had 80 minutes to work out a result in their favour. If a team cannot do that, the result is in the hands of the gods from that point.

nko11

Juniors
Feel like I'm getting into some real topball vibes here, but could make it that reaching 4 points in ET no matter the method results in an instant win too, be that 2 penalty goals or 4 field goals. If you take that strategy and pull it off, you definitely deserve the win.