What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Try > Golden Point

docbrown

Coach
What if a team kicks three penalty goals in extra time and then concedes a try? Loses when they score more points? Highly unlikely yes but not impossible.
The try simply ends the game, it doesn't give a guaranteed win. The team with 6 points from the 3 penalties wins.

Just like Quidditch. You catch the snitch but you're 300 points down you still lose. But the game is over. So you wouldn't do it.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
We have the same debate every year about golden point and there's always controversy. I mean the simple solution is to get rid of it altogether but the fans wont like it. I wouldnt care either way now, but I liked the draw with Manly and Newcastle. Both teams deserved it in the end.

snickers007

Juniors
What if a team kicks three penalty goals in extra time and then concedes a try? Loses when they score more points? Highly unlikely yes but not impossible.

Speaking of unlikely, I await the future where a team (hopefully the Tigers) misses the Top 8 on F/A by 1pt, after winning a golden point match with a try, and being denied the opportunity to convert it.

Apey

Staff member
I like draws but also think extra time can be exciting, just need to scrap the golden point part of it. Will never happen though.

siv

First Grade
Seems silly that we can play for 90 min for a draw

Golden try will just make it occur more often

Just let it be a draw at 80 min

Last 7 minutes become golden point anyway

While current golden point just becomes a field goal a thon as the refs put away the whistle

T-Boon

Coach
Just make it first to score 4 points in extra time.

Last Week

Bench
Regular season - draw after 80 minutes.

Origin/finals - extra time for 10 minutes. If still tied after, golden point.

If there's extra time for regular season games, we may aswell have matches go for 90 minutes.

GongPanther

Referee
Rugby League logic according to the media: In 2023, Penrith lose WCC by a FG, no worries! Penrith lose to the Broncos by a FG, no worries! Penrith lose to Parra by a FG, no worries! Penrith win by FG V Newcastle absolute bullshit!, something has to change!

MugaB

Coach
Rugby League logic according to the media: In 2023, Penrith lose WCC by a FG, no worries! Penrith lose to the Broncos by a FG, no worries! Penrith lose to Parra by a FG, no worries! Penrith win by FG V Newcastle absolute bullshit!, something has to change!
America ....f**k yeah!!!
Nobody likes us Smugabs, maybe if Newcastle werent still whining about a hair pull penalty for the last 30 mins instead of piling on more points, it wouldn't have gone to golden point, besides after that horrible showing at mudgee against manly where no one could get the job done, you wonder what the f**k they do all week between matches

GongPanther

Referee
America ....f**k yeah!!!
Nobody likes us Smugabs, maybe if Newcastle werent still whining about a hair pull penalty for the last 30 mins instead of piling on more points, it wouldn't have gone to golden point, besides after that horrible showing at mudgee against manly where no one could get the job done, you wonder what the f**k they do all week between matches
Sadly, they were playing the victim card. Funny if they lose by a FG again this year.

Jetka100

Juniors
I think it should be as follows in Golden Point:
1. 10 minutes extra time
2. Score a try, automatically win
3. All other scoring options will count but not end game, ie 1 or 2 point field goal, 2 point penalty
4. If no try scored, team with most points scored in extra time wins
5. If no tries, but points scored during extra time are equal, first point scorer wins
6. If no points scored during extra time, then it is a draw.

The only other thing I would consider to reduce cynical play is to allow extra time to continue until such time there is a change in possession, so an attacking team can keep going and complete the set of 6, which will also restart if there is a penalty conceded by defending team or a goal line drop out is forced.

MugaB

Coach
1. 10 minutes extra time
3. All other scoring options will count but not end game, ie 1 or 2 point field goal, 2 point penalty
5. If no tries, but points scored during extra time are equal, first point scorer wins

The only other thing I would consider to reduce cynical play is to allow extra time to continue until such time there is a change in possession, so an attacking team can keep going and complete the set of 6, which will also restart if there is a penalty conceded by defending team or a goal line drop out is forced.
This isnt golden "point"

snickers007

Juniors
1. 10 minutes extra time

So Team A can kick 7 field goals (or 4 penalty goals) during extra time, then concede a try and lose?
How does that get recorded on the ladder for F/A purposes?

Jetka100

Juniors
So Team A can kick 7 field goals (or 4 penalty goals) during extra time, then concede a try and lose?
You could approach it in 2 ways:

1. Decide that in relation to F and A, you just consider the points at the end of normal time, so both teams won’t have any change to their points differential; or
2. Count all points scored, so that in the very rare situation you describe, at least the losing team would get some benefit.

you would have to question though why a team would continue to keep kicking field goals or penalties in that situation.

Have Martina with a strap on one end and Jeff Stryker with his ahhh thingo at the other

‘whoever wins they get ehhhh they lose

Too many bongs this morning
the sopranos hbo GIF

MugaB

Coach
Its almost like they are making it up as they go along...
Just make it work fkers, try= win game, penrith cant have games won by cleary boot...
Basically no other teams know how to kick field goals, so change rule please

Have golden try and watch players get binned at will. If a player makes a 70m break and gets dragged down there is no way the defender lets them get up and play the ball.