What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye Wallace...

Bretto

Bench
Is that in todays paper?

Just watched some stuff on Youtube of Ollie Olds. Seems to have a decent step, reasonable fend and a good offload. Got nothing on the Shaun Johnson Youtube clips of him playing touch footy. That kid is poetry in motion on his feet.

Last edited:

unbreaK

Juniors
That certainly is todays paper.. extremely amusing timing. Boy I hope he isn't our star signing, but then again, maybe he's really good (+He's only 19)

Bretto

Bench
Only 19 is the kicker. Kid has years to develop... but... Remember when that kid Ben Hunt came, and had years to develop... How old is he now... ?

Behold

Juniors
I won't be surprised if the Australian school boys combination of Hunt and McCullough is revived and becomes the long term halves pairing at the broncos. Then the Broncos go looking for a play maker fullback.

some11

Referee
Remember when that kid Ben Hunt came, and had years to develop... How old is he now... ?

He's played all of 13 games as a starting half, most consecutive games is 4 during one of the worst slumps in recent memory.

We've treated him like dirt and I'm surprised he stayed.

ggmu

Juniors
He's played all of 13 games as a starting half, most consecutive games is 4 during one of the worst slumps in recent memory.

We've treated him like dirt and I'm surprised he stayed.

I'm also surprised he stayed but defiantly the sort of person u want to resign seems like he just wants to wear the broncos jumper no mater wat number is on his back. I'd rather sign people like that then someone like inglis who while 1 of the more talented players around happily went to another club for a few extra dollars

Last edited:

AceAv

Juniors
Yeah f**k Inglis. Love him at origin time, but was pretty dog if him playing us like that and using our offer against us!

Anyways couldn't be happier about Wallace. Hopefully his replacement is a big signing. But absolute worst case scenario in 2014/2015:

1. Hoffman
2. YY
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Kahu
6. Prince/Granville/Macca
7. Hunt
9. Macca/Granville/Baptiste

Don't under estimate Granville as a potential playmaker! I think Mac's also could be a John Sutton like number 6. Just need to rid of Prince and sign an actual established playmaker, or someone with amazing potential...

Maroon4life

Juniors
Great news.

Been a good servant to the club with his attitude and approach to the game but he lacks the talent to do the job required of a half. If he had his chances all over again i'd like to see him come through as a #9, could have had a far more successful career.

If this goes through it could be the change that paved the way for some key signing(s) and new look broncos side.

Tera

Juniors
Rumours circulating about both Benji and Quade...

.... No no no no no no no no no.

Last edited:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Don't you dare get me excited only for Wallace to still be spudding it up in our team in 2014! Please be true!

AceAv

Juniors
Yeh we need 2 not get too excited yet. There's a very good chance Gould has just talked out of his arse again and convinced Wallace of potential big bux for coming home only to slip a dud contract under his nose...

Quad and Benji can FOFF!

unbreaK

Juniors
I think Cooper, Williams, Johnson, Marshall would all be upgrades on Wallace, so we shouldn't be too fussed if we get one of them, even though I think it's safe to say most of us want Johnson

austyphoon

Juniors
To me it seems way too risky to put a player (albeit a very talented player) from another code in to such an important position.

A wing position or centre? Yes, but 1, 7, 6 definitely not. I would rather bring in someone young and inexperienced and watch them grow rather than Quade. IF we were to bring over Quade he would have to spend time in the QRL first, that's the only way it could work.

I also wouldn't like to keep Norman. He agreed to go to the Eels and he should be a man of his word.

Hopefully the Broncos have lined someone up from another club. I would really like to see Shaun Johnson in a Broncos jersey.

unbreaK

Juniors
1. Kahu
2. Yow Yeh
3. Hodges
4. Reed
5. Copley
6. Hoffman
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Thaiday (c)
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Granville
15. Hala
16. Stagg
17. J.Wallace

My predicted starting 17 for the 2014 season, god save us.

MightyBronco

Juniors
With Wallace gone our forwards are going to have to up their defense a fair bit! I've always been a fan of wallace - sure there are better halves out there, but he was a goer. Its been out lack of quality front rowers and very average outside backs that have been (and will continue to be) our problems. Not the halves.

AceAv

Juniors
I agree Mighty and have written Wallace's report card from my POV:
-Defense 8
-Long distance kicks 7.5
-Organisation 7.5
-Determination 7.5
-Attacking kicks 5
-Conversions 6
-Passing 5
-Long passes 5
-Speed 5
-Agility/evasion 4.5
-Discipline/errors 6
-Creativity 3
-Grubbers 4
-Line breaks 3
-Line break assist 5
-Vision 4
-Support play 5.5
-Potential for improvement 2

Overall I would give him about a 5.5/10. His best skill is his defense and ability to read the plays. -And that's crucial since every potential try he has stopped is generally a potential try he has bombed. And still I think he can do better on defense. That Titans try could have been prevented on Friday. Idris gets the ball and dances around Reed. It was obvious Reed was going to wrap him up, but Wally commits to the tackle anyhow to stop him from carrying Reed an extra few meters. At that very moment he offloads to Kelly who was flying and it was try time from there.

Hunt has shown in his few games that he can read the attacking plays and make those crucial tackles for us already, so I'm not concerned if we take someone with 5/10 for defense but 8/10 in attack. Statistically we should score more tries than their defense lets in and you can always teach a player how to defend. But as so many of us agree here, you cant teach them the basic vision and attacking technique that comes natural to great playmakers -Something Wallace just does not have.

-Also Unbreak: Do you really think Hoffman is going to be named at 6 lol?! I much prefer him on the wing. I know it's not his preferred role, but unless Norman or any other fullback that can show him how to chime into the back-line and execute even the simple tries, I doubt he will be as good in the FB role.

IF Wallace leaves that's about 400k we suddenly have + whatever Norman has. The cashed up Broncs will need to invest those dollars into something big. -It's pretty unlikely, but still a concern that they play the "everyone gets promotions" card...

Last edited:

Boy

Juniors
would love quade cooper at the broncs
would bring alot of fans with him
would give us that explosive attacking football we are missing

unbreaK

Juniors
FOX SPORTS News ‏@FOXSportsNews 14m
.@brisbanebroncos deny halfback Peter Wallace will return to his former club @PenrithPanthers next season #NRL

Dunno why we thought we had finally got rid of him, I knew it wouldn't be that easy.

Latest posts