What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gordon buys 50% of stake in STI Dragons

elevenstraight

Juniors
Even with Illawarra having no equity in the club now?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not wanting the club to revert to St George Dragons. I just want it to be known as St George Illawarra the club, not St George Illawarra the JV...

TruSaint

Referee
Even with Illawarra having no equity in the club now?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not wanting the club to revert to St George Dragons. I just want it to be known as St George Illawarra the club, not St George Illawarra the JV...

Whilst here have been some shareholding shifts, and board movements, the club, ( as far as we know from the article ), is still the JV .

The name won't change.

The dynamics will in terms of the board and the finances.

The Dragons at this point will not be able to stand alone and if they tried i would say the NRL would try and block the move.

The point being that Kogarah Council has always received rent for Jubilee Oval. Up until recently, it was an agreement that was honoured by the Club.

The Oval essentially belongs to the rate payers. If the rent remains unpaid, it is the ratepayers who will foot the bill.

Of course you speak of business and the law of the jungle, and I can understand that.

But let's make not make out that Kogarah Council have done the wrong thing in this regard. The landlords didn't chuck us out despite being owed $.

understand your point Willow.

What I am alluding to is that the Club generates traffic flow and retail sales in the area that benefits many businesses and helps employ people. From revenue to the train system, to employees at Rebel sports that sells our club colours, to food outlets near the ground.

In essence many local people benefit.

If the outstanding rent is $138,000 and the total number of rate payers is 138,000 the loss per rate payer is $1 per rate payer.

The 'loss" per rate payer is insignificant when compared to losing the only viable tenant.

blacksafake

First Grade
Only time will tell but it sure does look like a positive move. I dont mind if there are more games out of the gong & jubilee. Reading the story it looks like there will be a new board in place. Is this right? If so does it also mean a new ceo or is doust elliot ness(the untouchable)

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
Good news. Hope the board is cleared and the Ceo has competition for the job. If an intelligent businessman/ woman runs saints in the best way possible, we would be very wealthy. I'll start by stating that instead of playing to 15000 at Sydney, have a home game in qld. About a billion saints fans up here after seeing the dragons outnumber the titans fans at their home ground.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Would this open the door to more lucrative within the rules 3rd party deals for players, putting us in a better position for some big name signings?

Last edited:

Jubileeboy

First Grade
The point being that Kogarah Council has always received rent for Jubilee Oval. Up until recently, it was an agreement that was honoured by the Club.

The Oval essentially belongs to the rate payers. If the rent remains unpaid, it is the ratepayers who will foot the bill.

Of course you speak of business and the law of the jungle, and I can understand that.

But let's make not make out that Kogarah Council have done the wrong thing in this regard. The landlords didn't chuck us out despite being owed $.

Your points are all valid Willow but we don't have all the facts here to discuss one side or another's standpoint. (Council and Club)
My issue is that the Kogarah council has not really helped the club here with any real financial incentives.
If the daily/ event rental was somewhat cheaper, or facilities were improved so that the club didn't have to hire so many bits of equipment, then maybe the club would not have to move so many games away from Kogarah? Maybe they would play more games there?
As it stands, IMO, it does not represent good value for money for the club.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Don't know if it mentioned this. But I remember reading somewhere that the NRL were blocking this buyout, unless the ~4mil owed to the NRL by the club was paid off in full. but Gordon was arguing the fact and trying to pay it over time. Anybody know what the outcome to this was? Are we now out of the NRL's pocket?

grouch

First Grade
Any chance of the club providing some sort of detail about this to us plebs? Or will all info be drip fed via the chosen media mouthpiece.

But looking at the positives, thank goodness we will now at least be on a level playing field with the rich clubs.

We were meant to be on a level playing field (and then some) when the JV was formed. Instead we've become one of the few debtor clubs to the NRL.

Frankly, I see no real change to the puppeteers controlling this club. Same direction, same mediocre results.

Straight Shooter

duck

Juniors
We were meant to be on a level playing field (and then some) when the JV was formed. Instead we've become one of the few debtor clubs to the NRL.

Frankly, I see no real change to the puppeteers controlling this club. Same direction, same mediocre results.

Straight Shooter
Translation - Grumble grumble whinge moan.

A positive step for the club. Long overdue.

grouch

First Grade
Translation - Grumble grumble whinge moan.

A positive step for the club. Long overdue.

On the surface, yes. But how do we know for sure without details of what exactly has changed? Gordon has contributed money previously and purchased a stake in the club, yet nothing substantial had changed.

Surely the club would provide some sort of detail to it's stakeholders and investors. Not a lot to ask, I'd have thought. Particularly since there was a lame update last week stating there were no specifics to report. Yet apparently within a week there is enough detail for Roy Masters to write an article about

A positive step for the club.

And how will this translate into:

1. Effective and transparent governance;
2. Professional management;
3. Improved on field performances.

Straight Shooter

*I really hope Mary and Gordon aren't well acquainted

Ruby

Juniors
Win and Dragons.

Now that's 2 words I haven't heard for a long time.

Must be good!

Ruby.

duck

Juniors
Surely the club would provide some sort of detail to it's stakeholders and investors. Not a lot to ask, I'd have thought.
Perhaps they already have. Buying a Dragons cap doesn't make you an investor.

And how will this translate into:

1. Effective and transparent governance;
2. Professional management;
3. Improved on field performances.
Let's wait and see. You wanted chamge. You got it.

Mate if you shat a gold brick you'd complain you didn't shit two of them.