What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould - "Greenberg is a farce".

adamkungl

Immortal
With a link, ideally :D

I always have time to listen to someone trashing that merkin snake oil salesman.

Gus comments are to benefit Gus.
Not anyone else and certainly not the game.

I've criticised Greenberg as much as anyone over the years and I've supported Gus for a long time but frankly the tide has turned.

If Greenberg is the architect of the referees actually refereeing to the rules of Rugby League rather than the sloppy non-standards of the last decade, good on him.

Since Gus has held the two roles of Penrith boss and 9 commentator, he has become basically unlistenable. Everything he says is coated in layers of self-interested bullshit. The man has a good football brain, maybe even the best in the business, when there's no agendas involved, but how often is that these days?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
DdwMaCJVMAAgBnl.jpg

PJ

First Grade

I've criticised Greenberg as much as anyone over the years and I've supported Gus for a long time but frankly the tide has turned.

If Greenberg is the architect of the referees actually refereeing to the rules of Rugby League rather than the sloppy non-standards of the last decade, good on him.

Since Gus has held the two roles of Penrith boss and 9 commentator, he has become basically unlistenable. Everything he says is coated in layers of self-interested bullshit. The man has a good football brain, maybe even the best in the business, when there's no agendas involved, but how often is that these days?

Agree with this, but he has always been this way.

TheFrog

Coach
Did you watch Thursday's game? Penalties 9-2 to the Tigers until Merrin was marched and then 9-2 to Panthers after that. The exact same thing happened in Newcastle the previous week, which is why Newcastle fans screamed even though they narrowly won the penalties. They were reamed in the last 15 after having all the fun before that.

I don't have a problem with enforcing the rules but they are enforcing them selectively, or first for one side then the other. And some of them are really REALLY nit picking and should be let go, especially when a binning is imminent.

adamkungl

Immortal
Did you watch Thursday's game? Penalties 9-2 to the Tigers until Merrin was marched and then 9-2 to Panthers after that. The exact same thing happened in Newcastle the previous week, which is why Newcastle fans screamed even though they narrowly won the penalties. They were reamed in the last 15 after having all the fun before that.

I don't have a problem with enforcing the rules but they are enforcing them selectively, or first for one side then the other. And some of them are really REALLY nit picking and should be let go, especially when a binning is imminent.

Tigers got lots of penalties because the Panthers were cheating on their own line.
Panthers got lots of penalties because the Tigers were cheating on their own line. Tigers couldn't hold the ball for 3 tackles in the 2nd half. Of course Panthers get most of the penalties when they have most of the ball.

Reactions: gUt
No doubt he has a very good football brain, but didn't he say it would only take him 2 years to sort the Panthers out an make them viable, and what are we into his 5th year?

TheFrog

Coach
It is self-perpetuating then, isn't it? You give team A a penalty, they then have the ball and get another penalty, and another one. Often for things so minor it is hard to tell what they are for. This doesn't help the side with the ball and it does nothing for those who are paying to be entertained.

No doubt he has a very good football brain, but didn't he say it would only take him 2 years to sort the Panthers out an make them viable, and what are we into his 5th year?

It's his 8th season now, including 2011 when he came to Penrith mid-season. He said it would take "half a decade" to sort out the salary cap mess the club was in. This was construed by media, particularly Rothfield, as a "five year plan" Rothfield these days is happy to claim ownership of the Phil Gould five year plan.

Since he took over a side with one finals appearance in 7 seasons, the club ran 15th in 2012, missed the finals by one win in 2013, and have only missed the finals once since, in 2015 with an absolutely horrendous injury toll. Meanwhile, other clubs lurch from one salary cap crisis to the next. This is a bloke who has a big mouth, certainly (and is presumably handsomely remunerated for it by Channel 9) but knows the game and especially salary cap management better than anyone and would be snapped up by just about any club in the NRL.

Last edited:

Bronco18

Juniors
Not gonna lie, I used to firmly side with the crackdown but it’s went on for so long now I don’t know... The sin bin for repeated infringements on goal lines is certainly overdue.

Something I agree with Gus on is the “who the bloody hell knows what that was for” penalties around the ruck. These 50/50 ruck penalties for hands on ball, strip, crowding, are a blight and pedantic interpretations is what’s wrong with RU (or at least, one of the things). Simplify this shit and put the onus on the call carrier.

Springs09

Juniors
It is self-perpetuating then, isn't it? You give team A a penalty, they then have the ball and get another penalty, and another one. Often for things so minor it is hard to tell what they are for. This doesn't help the side with the ball and it does nothing for those who are paying to be entertained.

So what are these 'so minor' penalties? All teams consistently deliberately give away penalties on their own line. Always offside, laying all over the ruck, hands in the play-the-ball etc. Are we supposed to just stop penalising blatant breaches of the rules?

TheFrog

Coach
So what are these 'so minor' penalties? All teams consistently deliberately give away penalties on their own line. Always offside, laying all over the ruck, hands in the play-the-ball etc. Are we supposed to just stop penalising blatant breaches of the rules?
That's not quite what is happening, though. Team A gets penalised for half a game and then they switch. It's like they aren't able to referee both sides at one time. Except the Broncos. They hardly get penalised at all. Nothing has changed for them.

Latest posts