What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould - "Greenberg is a farce".

mongoose

Coach
I actually agree with Gus. The "gotcha" mentality of the referees is not going to work in Rugby League, the game's not tennis or even soccer. The flow of the game needs to be kept even if rules are being bent a little bit. It's not a game where every single tiny infringement needs to be penalised. Yes rules should be enforced but the referees need to be smarter about doing it and keep the flow of the game.

Nealo 12

Bench
Not only have they conceded the most penalties but they have the crapiest logo in the comp

Lol ...a chess piece horses head looks better ? great imagination from the Donkies marketing department . Give that pony tail exec a pay rise !

Springs09

Juniors
I actually agree with Gus. The "gotcha" mentality of the referees is not going to work in Rugby League, the game's not tennis or even soccer. The flow of the game needs to be kept even if rules are being bent a little bit. It's not a game where every single tiny infringement needs to be penalised. Yes rules should be enforced but the referees need to be smarter about doing it and keep the flow of the game.

Players being blatantly offside and holding down deliberately to give away a penalty is not 'the rules being bent a little bit'.

Every single tiny infringement isn't penalised. If it were, there would be a penalty every second tackle.

This 'flow' commentators and fans keep talking about has not existed for a while. Games did not flow last year, they stopped for ten seconds every ruck while players took the piss and held down for as long as possible.

I'd rather referees blow 50 penalties a game and sin bin half a team before giving in to the coaches and players taking the piss with their negative shit.

Springs09

Juniors
Edrick Lee got a penalty for something in that game. Then the pocket ref said play it straight next time. Just blow the penalty. How many times do you see the ref signalling players to get back? Just blow it. They decide when to blow it.

What next game on. A team will make a break the defending team doesn't get back on a wing. Called penalty straight away just let it go and IF the offside guys come involved call it. Less chance they can get their breath back that way

So now we want more penalties?

I referee U16s and U18s before playing on Sundays and I have to tell players to get back every single tackle. If I 'just blow it' then it's a penalty every single tackle. You blow an offside penalty when an offside player affects the play.

franklin2323

Immortal
So now we want more penalties?

I referee U16s and U18s before playing on Sundays and I have to tell players to get back every single tackle. If I 'just blow it' then it's a penalty every single tackle. You blow an offside penalty when an offside player affects the play.

Pretty much every tackle could be a penalty so already you have a ref picking and choosing what to call. Seems anything on the line is called but stuff mid field is let go. On the line is when the defence wants to stoppage more. It looks to me like some are just called to even up the count. Need a bit more common sense and understand of the game situation for me.

Springs09

Juniors
Pretty much every tackle could be a penalty so already you have a ref picking and choosing what to call. Seems anything on the line is called but stuff mid field is let go. On the line is when the defence wants to stoppage more. It looks to me like some are just called to even up the count. Need a bit more common sense and understand of the game situation for me.

No, there are more penalties on the line because players are deliberately trying to give away penalties and concede the 2 points. Rucks are a lot slower on the line and players rush up much quicker than mid-field. If anything they actually call less on the line. There are a lot of rucks that are less than 1 metre from the line that the referees let go on for 10 seconds or so that they would penalise on the halfway line.

So if we need more understanding of the game situation, are you putting your hand up to ref? These referees train all year in game-like situations, there is no one better at understanding game situations and that includes these idiot commentators up in the box who criticise the refs once they've watched 5 replays.

franklin2323

Immortal
No, there are more penalties on the line because players are deliberately trying to give away penalties and concede the 2 points. Rucks are a lot slower on the line and players rush up much quicker than mid-field. If anything they actually call less on the line. There are a lot of rucks that are less than 1 metre from the line that the referees let go on for 10 seconds or so that they would penalise on the halfway line.

So if we need more understanding of the game situation, are you putting your hand up to ref? These referees train all year in game-like situations, there is no one better at understanding game situations and that includes these idiot commentators up in the box who criticise the refs once they've watched 5 replays.

So who does stopping the game to give the defending captain a warning benefit? That is another case of refs not being aware of the game situation.

mongoose

Coach
This 'flow' commentators and fans keep talking about has not existed for a while. Games did not flow last year, they stopped for ten seconds every ruck while players took the piss and held down for as long as possible.

thats a bit of an exaggeration, some of the holding down penalties given are far too harsh and attacking players are milking it for everything its worth, trying to play the ball far too quickly, the dummyhalf passing it into defenders who haven't been able to move away, now that's a farce.

Springs09

Juniors
So who does stopping the game to give the defending captain a warning benefit? That is another case of refs not being aware of the game situation.

That means nothing. The game is already stopped because of the penalty. The attacking side isn't allowed to take a quick tap inside the 10.

Springs09

Juniors
thats a bit of an exaggeration, some of the holding down penalties given are far too harsh and attacking players are milking it for everything its worth, trying to play the ball far too quickly, the dummyhalf passing it into defenders who haven't been able to move away, now that's a farce.

Yep, that is a farce. I don't understand why it took so long to get that out of the game.

Milking is the one area refs give the attacking team too much leniency. Two Souths players dropped the ball cold on purpose against the Cowboys to get a penalty. But those are very hard to make the right call on the spot.

And no it is not an exaggeration. 2017 was the slowest most wrestle-heavy shit footy I've seen.

Springs09

Juniors
BS. The 40 secs allows the team to get their line set and have a breather.

'Their line set' they are on their own tryline. If they need an extra 30 seconds to set their line they shouldn't be playing NRL.

'Have a breather' yeah maybe if they were amateur reserve graders. I agree on that there shouldn't be a warning, there is no need for it. The ref should just say one more and in the bin on the 2nd tryline penalty. But to think the referee lacks 'game awareness' because the attacking team loses an advantage by the defending professional NRL team breathing for an extra 20 seconds - pfft. I think you're the one who lacks game awareness. Any extra time the defending team gets is also time the attacking team gets to get organised and plan their next plays, as well as have a breather.

typicalfan

Coach
That means nothing. The game is already stopped because of the penalty. The attacking side isn't allowed to take a quick tap inside the 10.
I agree except regarding a quick tap before the defense has a chance to set but once everyone is ready to go lets get a move on. It isnt the refs fault they are coached to do it and they are worried about not towing the line

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree except regarding a quick tap before the defense has a chance to set but once everyone is ready to go lets get a move on. It isnt the refs fault they are coached to do it and they are worried about not towing the line

That is where game awareness comes into it