What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould re-signs for 4 more years

betcats

Referee
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...0/news-story/8f7c16fa02b1b246cfcac24d61c1651d

PENRITH are about to receive a huge boost with Phil Gould to ink a new contract that will keep him at the foot of the mountains until 2020.

While the Panthers are expected to officially sign South Sydney’s Chris Grevsmuhl in the next 48 hours, The Daily Telegraph can also reveal Gould has accepted a new four-year deal.
It’s understood Gould will move from general manager of football to a consultancy role, which will include overseeing player recruitment.

Gould arrived in 2011 with his famous five-year plan, and faced the immediate challenge of saving the club from financial ruin.
He also made some unpopular decisions with the playing roster, including the squeezing out of Petero Civonivceva and local favourites Luke Lewis and Michael Jennings.
While Gould has so far fallen short of delivering a premiership, he has pulled together one of the best young playing rosters in both the NRL and Holden Cup, recently unveiled a state-of-the-art $22 million rugby league academy, and appointed new CEO Corey Payne.

There was growing speculation Gould would step away from the Panthers now the club was in good shape.
Not only are they sitting in the top eight — and could have just as easily been in the top four had a few close results gone their way — Penrith could also field up to four NSW Origin players with Trent Merrin and potential debutants Matt Moylan, Bryce Cartwright and Josh Mansour.
Gould admitted before he signed Payne: “I’m currently searching for a really good commercial and strong CEO for the club. It really needs someone with some expertise to monetise this program and help it develop over time.

“When that’s done, the job I came here to do is done. Whether or not I’ve got a role into the future and the club wants to keep me involved, that’s up to them.

“Certainly in the role that I’ve played over the last five years, the aim has been to make that position redundant and we’re very close to getting to that point.”
The arrival of Payne has freed up some time for Gould, whose workload had worn him down physically and mentally.
Panthers officials were in no mood to let Gould get too serious about calling time.
“How can you let Gus go with the football brain he’s got,’’ an insider said last night.
It’s expected an official announcement will be made by the end of the week, or possibly early next week.
The Panthers are $1.22 favourites for Sunday’s home game against the Gold Coast.
As for Grevsmuhl, Panthers officials are hoping the backrower will gain a release from South Sydney and link with the club by tomorrow at the latest. Grevsmuhl had been a long-term target of Gould, who had already convinced him to head west from next year.

betcats

Referee
A big positive imo. There has been some noise recently from Gus and others that his time at Penrith might be ending or his role is becoming redundant. I think he has put us in a great spot and we would be fine if he did leave but you cannot overestimate the value he brings with his influence and reputation. I cant imagine anyone better than Gus to do our recruiting etc

Good news , had a feeling he might stay a bit longer once he signed Corey Payne as CEO. Makes sense to oversee his first few years given his age.

Gould might rub some people the wrong way with his strong opinions but he's honestly one of the best things to happen to this footy club. Makes sensible signing decisions , doesn't overpay & has recruited very well from other clubs.

Dogs Of War

Coach
He has done wonders for you guys. 4 more years should be perfect for him to be able to stand aside if he feels the job is done.

Pomoz

Bench
Good news , had a feeling he might stay a bit longer once he signed Corey Payne as CEO. Makes sense to oversee his first few years given his age.

Gould might rub some people the wrong way with his strong opinions but he's honestly one of the best things to happen to this footy club. Makes sensible signing decisions , doesn't overpay & has recruited very well from other clubs.
+1000. I don't think many people realise how lucky we are that he came back to the Panthers. Brandy and Don Feltis, played strong, done good in talking him into coming back.

GongPanther

Referee
I had it in the back of my mind that he would have been a target for other clubs to help them out of their current doldrums such as the Knights or G.C. when they get a new owner.

But I'm absolutely overjoyed in hearing this fantastic news that he is staying.

I mean,when you're riding on a good wave,you really don't want to get off,do you? :D

Pomoz

Bench
Gould help run the club, awesome.

Gould the commentator, suckfullness.
An acquired taste for sure. He has turned into a grumpy old man, always harking about the old days when men were men and you could buy a beach house for 5 shillings and still have change for a car.

I do love it when he does his pre SOO speeches though. Always inspirational and motivating and delivered in his Churchill persona and not the grumpy old man. I could handle it if we wheeled him out 3 times a year for that bit and then sent him on his way back to the Riff.

ACTPanthers

Bench
An acquired taste for sure. He has turned into a grumpy old man, always harking about the old days when men were men and you could buy a beach house for 5 shillings and still have change for a car.

I do love it when he does his pre SOO speeches though. Always inspirational and motivating and delivered in his Churchill persona and not the grumpy old man. I could handle it if we wheeled him out 3 times a year for that bit and then sent him on his way back to the Riff.

Yeah I hate listening to Gus and Rabs have little arguments about seagulls when there's a plethora of action happening on field - You're completely right about him turning into a grumpy old man.

He has done absolute wonders at the club though and I love that he's signed on for longer - Having Gus there will not only attract more big names to Penrith, but will also have an affect on the signing of our young guns coming through the ranks.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Hopefully it eats into his commentary time, because he is terrible at that. Hate his voice and his negativity and his repetitive tantrums over calls. Him and Warren need to be ditched.

Good administrator though :)

betcats

Referee
Hopefully it eats into his commentary time, because he is terrible at that. Hate his voice and his negativity and his repetitive tantrums over calls. Him and Warren need to be ditched.

Good administrator though :)

IF anything it sounds like it will be a less demanding role so id say we are stuck with his commentary. Pretty cushy for him really, banking cheques from channel nine, the SMH and us and only the panthers job would be demanding, less so now with Payne there and a lot of the rebuilding done.

I'd say the fact that anyone who can now watches the channel 9 games on foxtel is likely to cause a change in the 9 commentary team. They might of actually caught on to the fact that nobody likes listening to Rabs and Gus argue for 80 minutes and rant about the refs.

On a side note during the Parra game the other night Junior Paulo was being tackled midfield and Rabs called him Jennings twice before he played the ball.

ACTPanthers

Bench
IF anything it sounds like it will be a less demanding role so id say we are stuck with his commentary. Pretty cushy for him really, banking cheques from channel nine, the SMH and us and only the panthers job would be demanding, less so now with Payne there and a lot of the rebuilding done.

I'd say the fact that anyone who can now watches the channel 9 games on foxtel is likely to cause a change in the 9 commentary team. They might of actually caught on to the fact that nobody likes listening to Rabs and Gus argue for 80 minutes and rant about the refs.

On a side note during the Parra game the other night Junior Paulo was being tackled midfield and Rabs called him Jennings twice before he played the ball.

Rabs has been going downhill for a while now - He constantly gets player names wrong and even mispronounces the easy ones - Loved him when I was a kid because the voice was synonymous with RL - All good things must come to an end.

betcats

Referee
I agree, his time is up. I get frustrated listening to him all game is whinging and incorrect names and he even stuffs up what the refs have called.

TheFrog

Coach
They might of actually caught on to the fact that nobody likes listening to Rabs and Gus argue for 80 minutes and rant about the refs.

People may be annoyed by it, but they love being annoyed by it. It is a drawcard. That's why they, and particularly Gould, are still there. Channel 9 feel he brings in the viewers, and they are the experts in the business, who am I to argue?

I noted on the weekend when Gould was absent, that Andrew Johns appears to be taking on his role. It is all an act. They do this at the bidding of Channel 9, which knows what its viewers want better than its viewers do.

betcats

Referee
Their ratings have dropped this year though. Viewers never had a choice, Channel 9 games weren't shown anywhere else. Now a fair chunk of them do a have a choice and are using to tell channel 9 to get stuffed.

Black Magik

Juniors
I like Gus. He is great for the game and his knowledge has helped our club greatly.

BTW: I don't mind him on the commentary team. He is there to make comment not call the game. Regarding Rabs and his wrong name calling; I correct him from my lounge chair. My wife probably doesn't like rabs as much as me :)

flash

Juniors
People may be annoyed by it, but they love being annoyed by it. It is a drawcard. That's why they, and particularly Gould, are still there. Channel 9 feel he brings in the viewers, and they are the experts in the business, who am I to argue?

I noted on the weekend when Gould was absent, that Andrew Johns appears to be taking on his role. It is all an act. They do this at the bidding of Channel 9, which knows what its viewers want better than its viewers do.

Exactly. Although I'm not a fan of their act.

I'd compare it to reading a Raiders match day thread. Complete nonsense but I will read it every week for the entertainment factor.

ACTPanthers

Bench

But how is it a drawcard when the ratings are down? How can people love being annoyed by it, but happily change the channel when there's another option?

People are annoyed by it, and now with other options, they switch off - If what you say is correct, i.e. the fact that it's all premeditated by Nine, then they are digging their own graves.

TheStrategist

Juniors
Bad news for Panthers fans...

The Spine will begin to fracture... as they are pushing young Segeyaro out with Mansour your guys future sure does look promising lmao. (Sarcasm)