1. Out Now: The Front Row rugby league magazine

LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication to accompany your footy weekend.

This week we have a special feature on how fans of fantasy footy survived the lockdown period between March and June thanks to Joshua Wells - he speaks to Jamie from NRLCEO Fantasy.

EDITION 7 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Gould reviewing Dragons.

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by corvettedragon, Sep 6, 2019.

1. draco

draco Juniors

Nicely done. Thanks.

Old Kogarah Boy 1 and Gareth67 like this.
  2. possm

possm Coach

The clear difference is the standard of recruitment and football managemen stafft.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Old Kogarah Boy 1 likes this.
  3. sa1nt5

sa1nt5 Juniors

Sorry mate I wasn’t thinking

4. denis preston

denis preston Bench

Sorry Sco, Dick Huddart,Raper,Rasmussen,Walsh,Goulay,Ryan,Branson,Hawthorne, Whittenberg, Lake ,Lumsden ,Langlands signings may have helped us !

Gareth67, Country Dragon and sco22 like this.
  5. sco22

sco22 Juniors

I know Denis look at the players you speak of are the best. It was just a line Frank Facer made about certain players coming to the Dragons to play like John Raper when playing for the blue bags.
    Frank said how would you like to play with the Dragons, John goes along the line I’d love too, he signed the following season.
    But Wests were called the Millionaires at that time in the early 60’s when we played them in 3 grand finals. I suppose they were trying to fight fire with fire.
    Frank was a great CEO a player leaving or retiring with the Dragons he would go into the market place and find equal or a better player to continue the Dragons winning ways.
    Let’s face it Denis right across footy at that time there were some very good footy players in all the teams just imagine what they would be worth today playing.

6. denis preston

denis preston Bench

Agree mate.Whilst most think the opening of the taj was the basis of our ability to buy anyone , our first licensed club at the corner of rocky pt rd & princess hwy must have done pretty well to pay for it ! Admittedly this was the golden era for licenced clubs and badly managed golf & bowling clubs got away with murder due to the two armed bandits .That and the fact that the Dragons area was in a new family growth boom after WW2 gave us the junior product to compliment our signings , Gasnier & Smith being the best of them.

sco22 likes this.
  7. Willow

Willow Administrator

They wanted to play for us. The systems and training methods were the best in the League at the time. We also had some great juniors as well.

All clubs were paying players, but at Saints it was a better deal apart from the money. Raper was of the view that if he stayed at Newtown he would have had ended up with "busted shoulders."

Plus some of the players you mentioned came much later on towards the end of the 11-in-a-row, or afterwards. Phil Hawthorne for example played for us in 1968-1971.

sco22 and Gareth67 like this.
  8. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

I recall Phil Hawthorne winning the Dragons a Saturday Match of the Round ( against Manly I think ) by drop kicking 3 penalty goals , instead of the normal place kicks .

Weren’t they fuming as I believe that they had scored a converted try and were beaten by the solidarity point 6 - 5 . Good on you Phil , an ex- rugby boy made good with the mighty Saints .

9. denis preston

denis preston Bench

Sure but as good as Frank Facer is lauded as the greatest Sec manager ever ( and do we need him now ) for balance no other club could compete with our Leagues club money apart from Wests in the 61-64 era and Manly from 67 onward.Some of the money we threw away, because we could, was criminal. The Dick Huddart contract for instance would be worth 2 million on todays value just so he didn't play for another club ! Offering blocks of land at Slyvania waters for our 3 grades player of the year was another example of over the top expenses we paid out.

10. 2010

2010 Bench

And we played home games at Kogarah or the SCG, never a trouble having full house then.
    I am not knocking Win but I feel a lot of players might br tempted if the Gong was in the picture

11. Slippery Morris

Slippery Morris First Grade

Interested to see how Gus talks up the Saints next season during games after this review. If Mary gets moved on he will bag them delux, if Mary stays he will talk Saints up.If Saints imporve he will call himself a Messiah. One thing for sure all this crap in the past on how much he loved Saints as a kid is now proven to be false as I am sure if he was a fan, he would not want a coach who just managed to escape wooden spook at the helm nest season.

Old Kogarah Boy 1, sco22 and Gareth67 like this.
  12. Saints Forever

Saints Forever Bench

Anyone know when the results of the review will be announced.

Am guessing Gus and Mary have already written the findings.

13. Slippery Morris

Slippery Morris First Grade

Notice how they say Gould spoke to some of the players (not all)? Let me guess? Mary picked which ones Gould should speak to and they were Latimore, Lafai and Aitken..........This review is sounding more and more like a joke.

14. Old Kogarah Boy 1

Old Kogarah Boy 1 First Grade

Yes, well said, SM.
    If Gould WAS a genuine Saints fan, like us ( he would be for life ) ....... so he would want to make sure that the right people were put in place, possibly, himself to start with.

Either way, as you say, he would 'make it happen at the Dragons.
    So, we can only assume, he ain' one of us.

15. Old Kogarah Boy 1

Old Kogarah Boy 1 First Grade

Its a Seinfeld Review................. nothing more, in fact, nothing in it!

Gareth67, Wittenberg and hazzbeen like this.
  16. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

It's the Biggest ,cover up , let's make out (we are doing something) , bullshit ,wank of all time review ...

17. Wittenberg

Wittenberg Juniors

Part of your response reminds me of the Roosters now.

merahputih likes this.
  18. redVinme

redVinme Juniors

Yep this would be Gould
    [​IMG]

Gareth67 and Old Kogarah Boy 1 like this.
  19. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

Another Watergate by golly ! I will even go one step further and say that big nosed :nose_tone1:Nixon is behind all of this - mark my words !

Old Kogarah Boy 1 and hazzbeen like this.
  20. Pro Dragons

Pro Dragons Juniors

You have to admire Mcgregor, he is arguably the worst coach in Dragon's history and yet has become the longest serving Dragons coach in the modern era. Then when he is in danger of losing his job he comes up with calling in his mate to do the season's review. The politicians in Canberra have got nothing on him.