What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould Solves all the problems of Rugby League!

Loudstrat

Coach
Gus, the plot is back over there somewhere :arrow:

1) The Govt is not trying to ruin the hospitality industry you stupid putz. Its trying to save families. Its a shame that clubs are funded by pokies and any hit to pokies will affect the clubs - however if these clubs are filled with people who would whinge like a stuck pig at a carbon tax, yet stick 1000 times the carbon tax in the pokies and then ring the Salvos for a tin of soup............

2) A Sydney conference vs a Non Sydney conference. Great. So the non Sydney teams get to wear the entire transport costs of the NRL. The warriors want to entice the Test backrower from the Roosters, and he queries the travel because his longest journey is 1hr down the M4 to Penruff, compared to the long haul with multiple connections to play in Townsville. Plus the non Sydney teams miss the gift points of playing Souffs and Cronulla.

3) Kangaroo tours. Loved them. Now a white elephant - who would they play?

4) Mid year knock out comp. Great idea. Parra is on a roll, and it hits Origin time, loses Mannah and Hayne, and gets pipped by the Warriors in week 1. Do nothing for 3 weeks except lose match fitness - and momentum. Comp resumes, Souffs beat them. Great idea.

The mid comp stoppage is the most utterly stupid idea ever to be introduced into the premier comp since Arthur Clues once suggested using a concrete football.

franklin2323

Immortal
FFS. Leave SOO alone it works well so keep it. No one forces the coaches to play origin players the game after origin. Would you rather have the stars for 20 weeks? or a full team all year round?? As a supporter of a team that struggles. Give me Thurston or Cronk for only 20 games of the year.

Rest them it stops burnout. It's not that hard. As for the conferences No. We need to get more even draws not make it more stupid. Seriously we played Brisbane 4 weeks apart same with the Cowboys. just crazy

AuDragon

Juniors
4) Mid year knock out comp. Great idea. Parra is on a roll, and it hits Origin time, loses Mannah and Hayne, and gets pipped by the Warriors in week 1. Do nothing for 3 weeks except lose match fitness - and momentum. Comp resumes, Souffs beat them. Great idea.

The mid comp stoppage is the most utterly stupid idea ever to be introduced into the premier comp since Arthur Clues once suggested using a concrete football.
Boo hoo... All teams would risk the same. Besides, it allows for most players to recover from niggles and last longer in the game.

But let's ignore that, Parra might get knocked out after 1 round. :crazy:

franklin2323

Immortal
Boo hoo... All teams would risk the same. Besides, it allows for most players to recover from niggles and last longer in the game.
Should the coach not rest players to recover from niggles. We don't play games we don't get money simple. When the soccer has champion's league Man U etc. Rest key players for club games either side. League can do the same

Loudstrat

Coach

But let's ignore that, Parra might get knocked out after 1 round. :crazy:
You dumb twat - it's not a rule designed to hurt Parra ffs!

A team is on a roll heading for a finals berth - then suddenly its not anymore - it's playing for a silly knock out designed to give Andrew Voss employment during Origin?

And how do Origin players rest niggling injuries?

Why not just have July off to rest niggling injuries?

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
If the nrl decides to introduce two new teams I think conferences are the best choice. Each conference consists of 9 teams, you play each team in your conference twice (16) and each team from the opposing conference once (9) resulting in 25 rounds. But i'd rather not have a Sydney conference. I'd prefer a north vs south concept. North: Cowboys, Broncos, Brisbane II/Bears, Titans, Knights, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Eels, Bulldogs. South: Rabbitohs, Roosters, Tigers, Dragons, Sharks, WA Reds, Raiders, Storm, Warriors. And mixed finals. 1stNorth vs 4thSouth etc.

AuDragon

Juniors
Should the coach not rest players to recover from niggles. We don't play games we don't get money simple. When the soccer has champion's league Man U etc. Rest key players for club games either side. League can do the same
You can't compare. Coaches will only take a calculated risk when they have to play something like 5 games in 2 weeks, resting a few of the best players against the weakest teams in comps like League Cup or early FA Cup, unless they can afford to drop points in the Premiership or Champions League.

There is no such luxury in the NRL... You rest your 2 best players against any team, and you risk losing. Those 2 pts could be enough to see you out of the top 8. Case in point, the Broncos rest 3 or 4 of their Origin stars and lose. They probably (and hopefully) could afford it this season, but the NRL is too close a comp to take the gamble.

This knock out comp not only serves the purpose of giving lower teams something to fight for, it prevents players backing up 2 or 3 days after they played a highly intensive Origin game, and gives value for money, because we get to see really great NRL matches between Broncos and Storm, or Broncos and Manly, or Dragons and Tigers, etc... With all the stars on the paddock. Now some of those NRL games are almost a joke!

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
A really great match that is a knockout for a nothing comp and not crucial NRL points.

Imagine the cry if Lockyer broke his leg playing in the Kiddies Surprise Cup...........

Besides, clubs will rest players with niggling injuries if they can. And if the injuries occurr close to finals time - they play through anyway.

They dont stop Wimbledon half way through to play the bloody Tunisian Open...........

AuDragon

Juniors
You dumb twat - it's not a rule designed to hurt Parra ffs!

A team is on a roll heading for a finals berth - then suddenly its not anymore - it's playing for a silly knock out designed to give Andrew Voss employment during Origin?

And how do Origin players rest niggling injuries?

Why not just have July off to rest niggling injuries?
Mate, I'm not gonna enter the competition of who's most creative with insults, you win that one hands down, because I'm not going to let you drag me down to your level.

I named Parra because you raised the question, but it's valid for any team. It's called sarcasm, you should look it up!

Now, this may be hard to follow, but I'll try to spell it out for you...

The clubs that get eliminated early, gain the advantage of resting players and recover from niggles and other injuries, while the other clubs fight for something (and money).

It weighs up by far against the loss of match and momentum loss of an individual team or two. Be it Parra, the Broncos or any other team in the NRL.

It also offers another competition for the public to follow and cheer about, as well as more games for the broadcasters and consequently, more money for the game.

Simple really, or do you need graphics? :sarcasm:

AuDragon

Juniors
A really great match that is a knockout for a nothing comp and not crucial NRL points.

Imagine the cry if Lockyer broke his leg playing in the Kiddies Surprise Cup...........

Besides, clubs will rest players with niggling injuries if they can. And if the injuries occurr close to finals time - they play through anyway.

They dont stop Wimbledon half way through to play the bloody Tunisian Open...........
I edited my post so you can understand it better. I know it's hard, but do try to keep up...

Sure, Wimbledon lasts just short of 6 months. Oh, wait...

Gus has poured so much of his and his families readies into pokies that he would hate having restrictions placed on his gambling..poker machines are designed to hit those who can least afford to lose a weekly pay or pension cheque, or to wash dirty money depending on their money source.
Football clubs muts wean themselves off this dead end source of money,,but thye are too dirty, or too stupid to do it.
Gus thinks he is bigger than the game, without league he would be another drunk putting his last notes thru a machine with no chance of winning.

Gus got bailed out he's fine.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Here's another pressing problem for Genius Gould to solve - the godawful league commentary on Ch 9.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
If you're the Sea Eagles or the Cowboys. And you currently sit 2nd equal with only one or two players playing origin would you use the time allocated to a knockout comp to give your players a few weeks rest and freshen up for a charge at the premiership? Or would you risk injuries for the cash? Also given that the teams further down the ladder (the Titans) usually have less origin players, would there chances of a premiership be in more doubt if they won the cash due to the fact that they played more games than the teams that lost in round 1, which might make it less unlikely for late season charges for lower placed teams (Eels 2009).

Fingerbang

Bench
Play SOO over 3 weeks, one game every Wednesday night for 3 weeks in a row, and origin players can't play for their club during that 3 weeks. To make it fair, all teams have one NSW rep and one Qld rep, so all teams without only 2 players over that 3 week period.

Imagine Qld fans screaming about not being able to play Slater and Smith, or Thurston and Scott.....NSW might be a chance to win a game then.

But seriously....I think 26 rounds is too many. I liked the concept when there were 18 teams, 3 groups of 6. You play the other 2 groups once (12 games) and your own group twice (10 games).....being 22 rounds in total. And groupings were decided on ladder positions the season before.

Loudstrat

Coach
Mate, I'm not gonna enter the competition of who's most creative with insults, you win that one hands down, because I'm not going to let you drag me down to your level.

I named Parra because you raised the question, but it's valid for any team. It's called sarcasm, you should look it up!

Now, this may be hard to follow, but I'll try to spell it out for you...

The clubs that get eliminated early, gain the advantage of resting players and recover from niggles and other injuries, while the other clubs fight for something (and money).

It weighs up by far against the loss of match and momentum loss of an individual team or two. Be it Parra, the Broncos or any other team in the NRL.

It also offers another competition for the public to follow and cheer about, as well as more games for the broadcasters and consequently, more money for the game.

Simple really, or do you need graphics? :sarcasm:
So we stop the comp that all NRL fans follow - just to start another one? Why not just keep the first comp going?

FFS this new idea would be valid if we have a final 5 finals system. Currently we have a system where if you lose as many as you win you can still make the finals. Any team stacked full of Origin players can make that up over the 23 unaffected weeks of the comp.

And it is actually less games for the broadcasters if it's a knockout comp you dill. And less money from the broadcasters ffs!

BuffaloRules

Coach

For the first time ever I agree with something you have written....

I thought I was the only one who was against this meaningless mid season comp idea...

Is anyone going to really care if their teams wins this manufactured, souless four week tourament played in the middle of the season without all the best players who are playing origin?

How can the whole comp shut down for a month in June-July in the middle of the television ratings season?...

What are we going to watch instead? This knockout comp, and wait for it - New Zealand v Samoa!

And we also get Origin played three weeks in row?

No thanks Gus.

LineBall

Juniors
The problem we currently have is one competition is adversely affected by another competition, i.e the club premiership and SOO. I don't see how making one competition have a hiatus half way through really changes much of anything, and resting players through such a period devalues the premiership and robs the fans of seeing the best players competing. Other posters have commented how some English Soccer teams rest players during the champions league, but these clubs don't have to operate within a salary cap, and can usually afford to stockpile other players who are more than able to compete against their opposition.

The best solution, IMO, is to expand the competition so that we have 20 teams. Each team plays each other once only during the season. Then we have 4 weeks of finals. Meanwhile the ESL organises their season to finish one week earlier than ours. This way the WCC challenge is played 2 weeks after the NRL grand final in Australia (giving the English team an extra week to allow for travel).

2 Weeks later, the SOO commences, on Saturday - then 11 days later the 2nd game on a Wednesday night, and then 10 days later again, the 3rd game on another Saturday night. So all up - origin is finished in 3 weeks.

During those 3 weeks, the nations of PNG, Fiji, Tonga, Somoa, Cook Islands play each other in a round robin tornament - giving broadcasters more games to televise, and adding incentive for players to represent these nations who will now have more regular and meaningful matches.

Ather this - England, New Zealand, Australia and the winner from the previous years pacific cup tornament can play in a 4 nations event.

In this setup - An australian player - if he played for the premiers, was selected for Origin and Australia would play all up 31 games in the season, which is less than they play now. The premiership would be played uninteruppted. Fears about a player electing to have surgery rather than playing for his state or country is a concern, but overall the desire of the vast majority of players to play SOO and test matches should ensure this rarely happens.

Springs

First Grade
All this just to stop player burnout? Stopping player burnout (meaningless term in my opinion, they get to play football for a living! Why would they want to stop?!) is to do what Griffin does and rest players for club games. Or scrap trials. Or lessen the amount of pre season training.

Latest posts