What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Government to ban live sports betting ads

458895.jpg

art_glenn-munsie-420x0.jpg

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I love having a punt on League, but I hate seeing how it is all over the broadcast these days. We watch foremost for the game, but the betting ads are so intrusive (commentators during the broadcast, ads on the bottom of the screen, and now live crosses to Munsie) that it feels like the punt is the reason the game is being played.

On a personal level, my youngster keeps asking what 'are those numbers, that is not the score'. I would rather wait for a few years before explaining gambling to him. I know that I am not the only one of my friends that have had the same question posed to them.

bobbis

Juniors
The advertising during the game annoys me, particularly the 9 commentators who mid play will plug literally anything.

However I'm not in favour of the government stepping in here, I don't think it's their place. I'd be quite happy for the NRL though to make a stand and ban the practice.

This is though Conroy's least terrible and offensive policy... if this is the only policy he manages to get through I'll be relieved that we made it through Conroy's geniused reign.

jamoss

Juniors
Some very dangerous logic in this thread.

You don't like something so you support totalitarian action from the government to ban said something.

gambling causes problems for large sectors in society and at the end of the day the government are the ones who have to clean up the mess.. Why wouldnt they want to prevent it getting out of control ? Part of what makes Australia a great country is that if you have a problem you arent left to die on the side of the road.. But there's no point in watching it get out of control and then scrambling to try and fix it afterwards.

The problem isnt that gambling exists, its the way the message is being exploited down the TV every 10 minutes.. Combine that with the fact everyone has internet these days and you can be placing a bet within 20 seconds, its easy to see how vunerable people could loose their grip..

Its a shock to me that sports betting has been allowed to go as far as it already has.. As soon as i saw it started to get pushed through the commentators and mid game bettting started it seemed obvious to me that it would affect addictive gamblers.. The government has spent years trying to reform the pokies (and are still trying) and meanwhile they allow another gambling style to head towards the same problems.

jamoss

Juniors
I don't think it's their place. I'd be quite happy for the NRL though to make a stand and ban the practice.

The NRL and gambling agencies wont do anything without intervention because they make money off it and they ultimately dont bare responsibility for people who have problems.

When someone gambles away their savings because they cant control their addictions where do you think they end up ? Inevitably its on welfare, and through the hospitals and rehabilition, thats if they dont start stealing to feed their problem beforehand.. All of those things arent good for society and the NRL or TAB arent accountable for any of it, its the tax payers who pay for it, not to mention the enormous distress and breakdown its causes the individuals and their familys. When its allowed to get out of control it causes a lot of hurt and damage.

The problem isnt that a TAB exists down the road and people can go and place a bet, its the constant advertising and invitation extended down the TV and the ease of which it can be accessed now makes it dangerous towards vunerable people.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
gambling causes problems for large sectors in society and at the end of the day the government are the ones who have to clean up the mess.. Why wouldnt they want to prevent it getting out of control ? Part of what makes Australia a great country is that if you have a problem you arent left to die on the side of the road.. But there's no point in watching it get out of control and then scrambling to try and fix it afterwards.

The problem isnt that gambling exists, its the way the message is being exploited down the TV every 10 minutes.. Combine that with the fact everyone has internet these days and you can be placing a bet within 20 seconds, its easy to see how vunerable people could loose their grip..

Its a shock to me that sports betting has been allowed to go as far as it already has.. As soon as i saw it started to get pushed through the commentators and mid game bettting started it seemed obvious to me that it would affect addictive gamblers.. The government has spent years trying to reform the pokies (and are still trying) and meanwhile they allow another gambling style to head towards the same problems.

Very good post mate.

Latest posts