What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Government to ban live sports betting ads

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well the odds are in

Gould: Rabbits Benji just scored.
Rabs: Give me a second Gus, splooge takes a second to clean up.
Gould: I will give you 4-1 on you splooge again if Benji gets a flick pass off.

Generalzod

Immortal
Government to ban live sports betting ads

May 27, 2011 - 9:59AM
The federal government is expected to announce an end to the live updating of betting odds during the broadcast of sporting events.
Federal Sports Minister Mark Arbib will hold a teleconference with the NRL, AFL, ARU, Football Federation Australia, Cricket Australia and Netball Australia on Friday, The Daily Telegraph says.
Collingwood football club president and media personality Eddie McGuire told his radio program on Triple M radio in Melbourne on Friday that Senator Arbib would announce the ban after the meetings.

"My understanding is ... they will announce, or a push towards, a ban on odds mentioned during radio and TV broadcasts of sporting with the exception of pay and free to air racing," McGuire said.

LINK

Works for me, I am over being told what the odds are every 10 minutes.

About time

Glen

Bench
Good move. I love a punt but the constant odds updates are a massive turnoff. They will still stack the ad breaks with betting ads so it's not like people aren't aware they can bet live on games if they want

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
458895.jpg

Steel Dragon

Bench
Thank fugg!

Nothing from betting agencies running their ads during the breaks - but I am SOOOO sick of constant betting updates.

I could cop the pre match odds when they do the sideline report or whatever - but every friggin time someone scores - come on!!!

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Some very dangerous logic in this thread.

You don't like something so you support totalitarian action from the government to ban said something.

simmo1

First Grade
Shit decision. I don't gamble a lot, but betting companies should be able to advertise their legal products if they want to.

Not liking something isn't justification to ban it.

I don't mind it on Fox Sports pre game but during the game + channel 9 just do it terribly.

Edit: they should also ban fantasy points updates on fox. I don't give a sht about that.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Exactly what I was thinking. The various sports bodies have nothing to do with the constant betting ads.

Sporting bodies do have input on this matter & receive money from gambling on sport.

----------------

http://www.broncos.com.au/default.a...&id=31997&title=nrl-to-chase-betting-windfall

18/11/2010
THE National Rugby League could receive a $17 million a year windfall - or $1 million-plus per club - following a landmark court ruling yesterday.
Racing NSW had its right upheld in the Federal Court to charge all betting agencies and corporate bookmakers 1.5 per cent of their turnover as the price for allowing them to bet on their product.
Yesterday's decision has given the NSW racing industry an instant $120 million payday from money already collected but so far held in a trust account. It will also earn the body $50 million a year in future revenues.
But the decision will have ripple effects well beyond racing. It creates a precedent that will almost certainly bring a multi-million dollar windfall to the country's major sporting codes - including rugby league, AFL and cricket. These may now all look to put their own 1.5 per cent turnover levies on the betting agencies.
The NRL currently receives little more than $1.5 million a year from betting agencies, under a formula that is based on the profit the agencies make rather than total turnover. Industry experts say this is many millions less than what the code would make with a 1.5 per cent levy on betting turnover as has been applied in the Racing NSW case. Under a turnover levy, sports are paid the same regardless of whether betting agencies win or lose.
NRL boss David Gallop said yesterday: "We'll be reviewing the decision, and if there is an opportunity for us to be improving our return, we'll pursue it."
Gallop added it had so far been "early days for us in terms of getting any return" from betting.
Racing NSW boss Peter V'landys said of the judgment: "It is a perfect template for all the other sports to also get paid for the intellectual property."
The Daily Telegraph can reveal definitive Australian Racing Board statistics for betting on all sports other than racing will show 30 per cent growth to $3.3 billion for the 2009-10 financial year.
If this trend continues, this will grow to about $4.5 billion in the current year.
Tabcorp's sports betting statistics show the NRL is the highest-turnover sport outside of racing, with 16 per cent of the market.
But one former high-level Tabcorp official said many of these agencies take about 35 per cent of their turnover on rugby league alone. Based on a 1.5 per cent turnover levy, he estimated the NRL could recoup $17 million a year, which could be pumped back into the sport as part of a $70 million total windfall for local sport.
Story courtesy of www.couriermail.com.au.

-------------

Also, it's not just related to tv -

"The crackdown will include TV, radio, internet, mobile phones, ground announcers and scoreboards".

Last edited:

Frustrated Fan

Juniors
The “Bwoozzay Bwoozzay” woman really gives me the shits, but the government hasn’t done anything about banning her yet..... I’d give her $50 to shut up.

Channel Nine fair dinkum abuse their commercial ability and shove "odds mentioning" down our throats. Maybe some kind of regulation to restrict this is warranted, but banning it completely doesn't seem rite.

The commercial reality is that Rugby League needs sponsors to inject money and the broadcasters benefit from the betting agencies advertising with them. It would be complete hypocrisy to ban sports broadcasters from “odds mentioning”, while allowing the racing broadcasters to do so. Surely that would be an unfair restriction of trade to the sports and their broadcasters. Won't the legislation devalue the NRL television broadcasting rights?

Considering every legal form of gambling is heavily advertised…. I'm sure this legislation is going to do bugger all to stop problem gambling. It will be like putting half of a finger over half a hole to stop a leak. If Federal Sports Minister Mark Arbib is genuinely interested in the welfare of gamblers, he should be proposing legislation that protects the interest of gamblers. Sports betting is a massive and growing industry which the government benefits from and at the end of the day it is the gamblers who are funding it.

Latest posts