What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower claimed to be goooooone

*Sandy*

First Grade
Breaking News
Brought to you by: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21973520-23210,00.html

France my biggest test: Gower
By Philip Henderson
June 26, 2007 DEPARTING Penrith skipper Craig Gower says his move to French rugby club Bayonne at the end of the NRL season will be the biggest challenge of his career.

Gower was on Tuesday granted an early release from his contract with Penrith to sign a two-year deal with the first division rugby club.

He will play out the 2007 season at the Panthers - the third of an original five-year deal - before joining Bayonne, which finished eighth in the just completed French season.

His rugby career could start as early as this year when the French season starts up again in the European autumn.

But with no previous experience in the 15-a-side game, Gower admits the code switch will be a challenge.

"Obviously I haven't had any experience playing it, so that's going to be the biggest challenge of my career,'' Gower told Channel Seven.

"I've got to see how I go. I might be poor at it, I don't know.''

Because of his heritage, Gower can represent Italy in rugby union.

But a spot in the Rugby World Cup this September-October would appear highly unlikely given the timing of the move.

Gower would relocate in September at the earliest and he would have to be selected over two established players - halfback Alessandro Troncon, the most-capped Italy rugby player, and experienced five-eighth Ramiro Pez.

After having his past two years blighted by off-field controversies, Gower has been keen on a European rugby move for some time.

He unsuccessfully sought a release from the Panthers last year, but was given permission to train with a France team at the end of the 2006 NRL season.

Reports surfaced last Friday he would again request an early release.

His manager Greg Willett revealed Gower was exploring his options in Europe, but the 29-year-old player himself denied the reports.

On Tuesday, though, after his manager formally made the request, Gower claimed he had always been truthful about the situation to the club.

"I've been up front about it. I haven't lied about it. The club's been fully aware of this situation.''

Panthers general manager Michael Leary said the club had "reluctantly'' agreed to Gower's request because "we believe that under the circumstances it is in his best interests to have a change''.

AAP

Interesting...

Caged Panther

First Grade
I'm no fan of matt adamson but I don't think he is the cause of this, the gower thing has been on the cards for a while if we're honest with ourselves.

And although has denied it has anything to do with the media it is undoubtedly the reason his packing his bags. I've also no doubt that danny weidler can be congratulated for his role in driving craig out. This guys calls himself a journalist yet he openly admitted he didn't like craig on radio tonight and has quite obviously let this filter into his work. I like your journalistic integrity Danny. :roll:

*Sandy*

First Grade
Caged Panther said:
I'm no fan of matt adamson but I don't think he is the cause of this, the gower thing has been on the cards for a while if we're honest with ourselves.

Obviously I'm no fan either, but I love to blame him! :D

mightypanther

Juniors
Panther_Daz said:
Mightypanther should be the new CEO of Penrith. Big Mick can coach the side.

Whoohoo........what say you Big Mick ???

Do you reckon we could work together? :)

I don't think we could do any worse..;-)

Caged Panther

First Grade
100 monkeys on 100 typewriters couldn't do any worse. They might not do much better but then again they are monkeys.

choc_soldier

Coach
The way this whole incident has been handled... wow, trademark Penrith - only this club could stumble its way through this with such incompetence.

The club went out of the way over the weekend to deny anything had happened or was going to happen - even Craig chimed in with some choice quotes and denials - but then by Tuesday morning, he was gone. Could the turn around really be that quick? Hardly.

One of my mates texted me this morning upon hearing the news, and told me that we were a club in crisis. I could only agree - I actually told him that it was an understatement.

We need a clean out up top. We are now beyond a joke, the worst run administration in the NRL.

Alexander for CEO anyone? We need someone like him in some higher capacity at the club - someone who IS Penrith. Then, we may see some pride restored to this great club.

I love my Panthers, and that will never die. But I must admit that my enthusiasm for supprting the club is starting to dwindle - that enthusiasm that drives me to go to as many Penrith games as possible, with the intention of leaving nothing left in the tank by full time.

And I know that I am not alone in this.

The Teach

Juniors
I'm with you there Roo.
Our management sucks, and I have a feeling that we are in a downward spiral. We are in serious trouble for next year, but I will still lend my voice at the games and try to get them home!

Fibroman

First Grade
Fibroman said:
The thing that peeves me is that it has been the Craig Gower show at Penrith for the past couple of years. He virtually gets what he wants, when he wants, and gets what players he wants at the club. Now when the team needs him the most. He bails out. I'd be surprised if Penrith win another game this season now.

I was devistated when I made this post. There was no disrespect meant to Gowie. It is just heart breaking as a loyal Panther fan to see us losing so many of our favourite sons. I strongly disagree with statements from management that this move is best for Gowie. He has strong community ties in Penrith and would have 2 good seasons left in him to see out his contract.

He may not have been at the top of his form this year, but at 29 years of age, could probably have seen out his contract at hooker with a little less pressure on him and certainly left the club holding records that will stand for a very long time.

I wish him all the best, and if he hates France, would have no hesitation as a fan, welcoming him back to Penrith.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Fibroman said:
I was devistated when I made this post. There was no disrespect meant to Gowie. It is just heart breaking as a loyal Panther fan to see us losing so many of our favourite sons. I strongly disagree with statements from management that this move is best for Gowie. He has strong community ties in Penrith and would have 2 good seasons left in him to see out his contract.

He may not have been at the top of his form this year, but at 29 years of age, could probably have seen out his contract at hooker with a little less pressure on him and certainly left the club holding records that will stand for a very long time.

I wish him all the best, and if he hates France, would have no hesitation as a fan, welcoming him back to Penrith.

It's ok Fibro, we are all allowed to be devastated. He was after all a champion bloke and a champion player which we both from time to time have had the pleasure to know first hand.

Kilkenny

Coach
Fibroman said:

Will Shane Blackett take over the mantle as Fibro's favourite player.

EzyG

Juniors
Morning people

There was a very good sement about the Craig Gower saga on Nova this morning, Marto, Merrick & Rosso all had a non-comical discussion on the drama & credit due they didn't bag him once, they talked about our halves situation next year, what it's like for Gower not being able to walk down the street with out copping some crap, the clubs oersoective on this, Brandy's opinion, you know it was a f&^%ing goog segment. Marto mentioned he met Gower & said he is 1 of the nicest people he has dealt with. Anyway it was just releiving to hear this type of story when every where else the journo's are foaming in the mouth over this. Wish I could of notified you guys

I will try & set up a link if possible to a recording if there is 1, I'm fairly computer ilitertre so don't expect 1 & my spelling is crap

signing out

EzyG

Fibroman

First Grade
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/gower-sick-of-the-garbage/2007/06/26/1182623913147.html

Interesting article. It echos some of the opinions of fans as to why the pig wants out of Penrith. Knowing the bloke as I do, I know he loves having a beer with his mates and is a likeable larrakin sometimes when he does. He reminds me a lot of MG in his younger days. He cops a raw deal off people in the community based predominately on jealousy, and the media, being the leeches that they are use any chance they can to get a story, and dont give a tinkers cuss on how they might be impacting on the life of the poor old footballer.

choc_soldier

Coach
EzyG said:
Morning people

There was a very good sement about the Craig Gower saga on Nova this morning, Marto, Merrick & Rosso all had a non-comical discussion on the drama & credit due they didn't bag him once, they talked about our halves situation next year, what it's like for Gower not being able to walk down the street with out copping some crap, the clubs oersoective on this, Brandy's opinion, you know it was a f&^%ing goog segment. Marto mentioned he met Gower & said he is 1 of the nicest people he has dealt with. Anyway it was just releiving to hear this type of story when every where else the journo's are foaming in the mouth over this. Wish I could of notified you guys

I will try & set up a link if possible to a recording if there is 1, I'm fairly computer ilitertre so don't expect 1 & my spelling is crap

signing out

EzyG

I heard it too, just after 7am - I deliberately stayed in bed for an extra 10 minutes or so to hear it (and in the process was almost late for work!)

It was refreshing to hear.

In terms of a recording, they have podcasts (daily I think), but I would doubt they would include that segment, as it was serious - but they'll undoubtedly have Merrick prank calling Swaziland and Sami Lukis positively gushing about "The Secret".

skeepe

Immortal
Here's an article from the Canberra Times that may interest you folk

McCrone a chance to fill Gower's big shoes
Chris Wilson

A rookie Canberra Raiders halfback is in contention to replace Penrith star Craig Gower after the Panthers agreed yesterday to release the veteran from the final two years of his NRL contract.
Gower will join French rugby union club Bayonne at the end of the season, opening the door for 20-year-old Raiders halfback Josh McCrone.

McCrone has signed a two-year deal to join the Panthers next season.

Yet to make his NRL debut, McCrone said he had mixed feelings about Gower's early departure from the Panthers.

"It's definitely exciting there's more opportunity for me, there's less players in front of me," he said. "But it's a bit disappointing too I won't get the chance to learn something from him."

McCrone said he had enjoyed his time with the Raiders but was not prepared to stay in line behind Todd Carney, Michael Dobson, Terry Campese and Marc Herbert.

He said he had no early indication Gower would leave the Panthers, but had been keen to link with former Raiders coach Matt Elliott.

"There was still always going to be a lot of opportunity with Peter Wallace leaving and there apparently wasn't too many junior halves down there," he said.

"I had a little bit to do with [coach] Matt Elliott, that's probably one of the main reasons I'm heading down there. He told me there would probably be an opportunity if I went there."

Gower said his move to Bayonne would be the biggest challenge of his career.

His rugby career could start as early as this year when the French season starts up again in the European autumn.

But with no previous experience in the 15-a-side game, Gower admitted the code switch would be a challenge.

"Obviously I haven't had any experience playing it, so that's going to be the biggest challenge of my career," Gower said.

"I've got to see how I go. I might be poor at it, I don't know."

Because of his heritage, Gower can represent Italy in rugby union.

But a spot in the World Cup this September-October would appear highly unlikely given the timing of the move, and the fact Gower would have to earn selection over two established players - halfback Alessandro Troncon, the most-capped Italian rugby player, and experienced five-eighth Ramiro Pez.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...ague&story_id=1012535&category=rugby%20league

Latest posts