What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower - I'm Staying

BuBz81

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,18084413-5001023,00.html

I'm staying
By JAMES HOOPER

February 09, 2006

AXED Penrith captain Craig Gower last night broke a two-month silence to reject speculation he wants out of his $2 million Panthers contract, declaring: "I don't want to leave the club".

Keen to silence talk of a bitter split in the playing ranks at Penrith, Gower will meet Panthers powerbrokers today to inform them of his desire to remain at the club.

"I don't want to leave the club. I've been a local junior, I'm a Penrith boy through and through and I want to keep playing for the Panthers," Gower said.

"I'm not angry about the [$30,000] fine, I'll wear my punishment like a man. I just have a couple of questions about the process, of the way the whole thing was handled. There's no divide at the club."

Gower and his wife Amanda flew back into Sydney yesterday after their honeymoon in Vietnam. He will train with the Panthers today.

I'm a Penrith boy at heart
By JAMES HOOPER

BESIEGED Penrith halfback Craig Gower has hit out at suggestions of a rift in the ranks at the Panthers - pledging his allegiance to the western Sydney club.

Stripped of the Panthers captaincy and fined $30,000 [$70,000 suspended] for the well-publicised intoxicated incident on Queensland's Sunshine Coast, Gower last night ended a two-month silence to clear the record about his playing future.

Angry at speculation the champion playmaker was poised to turn his back on Penrith, Gower quashed suggestions he was unhappy about the heavy punishment imposed by the Panthers.

But the Penrith halfback will attend a meeting with Panthers chief executive Glenn Matthews today - where he will air grievances about the handling of the investigation and hearing into the Sunshine Coast incident.

"I've got a couple of things I want to sort out with the club. Since I've been away this whole thing about how I want to leave has been blown out of proportion," Gower said.

"There are a couple of personal issues I've got with the club which I want to go in and talk to them about over the next week.

"I'm not angry about the fine, I'll wear my punishment like a man."

Clearing the air at Penrith is a major step forward for the embattled club, who were facing a potentially disastrous revolt in the playing ranks if Gower had departed.

In a sign of solidarity, Gower offered unwavering support for newly elected leader Tony Puletua, who was prepared to give the captaincy back after hearing Gower may have been unhappy.

Having married his partner of six years at a private ceremony at Whale Beach late last month, Gower returned home to Sydney yesterday after spending 10 days honeymooning with new wife Amanda in Vietnam.

The holiday allowed him some much-needed breathing space, having been the subject of outrage and headlines since the night of the Jack Newton celebrity golf challenge last December.

"It was good to get away and just have some alone time with Amanda - I went half way across the world but I've come home to mayhem again.

"It's been hard but I'm dealing with it. I'm not running away."

Gower will today attend a weights session at Panthers headquarters in Penrith where he will clear the air with teammates.

Gower, 27, has a further four years remaining on his current Penrith contract, the club he has played for since the age of 17.

Gower spent last night with his parents Mal and Maria.

The Daily Telegraph understands the Penrith board refused to allow Gower to present evidence at the hearing into the Sunshine Coast incident before stripping him of the captaincy and imposing the fine. There also remains unrest about perceived pressure from the NRL to come down heavily on Gower.

Kiwipanther

Juniors
Sweeeeeeeeeeet, have to admit I have gained respect for Gowie. It would have been a lot easier to just cut and run from the situation.

panthersballboy

Juniors
YES!!! I'm very happy to see that it looks like he is staying. Plus I wont have to take his name off the back of my Jersey now ;-)

choc_soldier

Coach
See, all we had to do was wait for him to come back, and have a listen to what he said. Contradicts a few stories we have heard over the past week.

As a Panthers supporter, I'm glad he's going to stay. :)

Fibroman

First Grade
About time the supporters started getting behind Gowie like they should have done right through all this garbage. All the baggers carrying on like pork chops in the media and on sites like this, for that matter, probably had a bit to do with his uncertainty. True Panther fans would have treated the whole thing as a peccadillo, and got stuck into all the gymps that were calling for blood over the whole business.

Fibro....being a true westie, and a true Panther fan has backed the pig through the whole thing.

The end.

BeenThere

Juniors
Also have it on GOOD AUTHORITY that he was one step away from changing his plane ticket and landing in England rather than coming back to OZ following his honeymoon.

kbw

Bench
Lots of people are happy if thats the case.
Lots of people from other clubs, thats for sure.

The Rhino

Juniors
This subject is becoming :BDH:

Yeah, Craig, make up your mind, start by getting rid of the bad influence you call a flamin manager.

Gower won't be going anyway - why, BECAUSE PANTHERS WILL NOT RELEASE HIM FROM HIS CONTRACT. And when they don't, people will ask why not, the bloke is not interested playing for Penrith - all I have to ask you is this, CAN YOU SEE GOWER PUTTING IN LESS THEN 110% IN EVERY GAME? I DON'T THINK SO.

LET'S GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!