What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final entertainment

Nuke

Staff member
I did see something on Thursday or Friday morning on one of those morning programs (probs Ch9 hoaring themselves out to aussierules as usual) which was of her doing some kind of promo at the ground and some football showing her how they catch it, kick it, and pass it. She bonced someone on the head with the ball and said "That's what you guys call a falcon, isn't it?"

Has 'the falcon' superceded our great game and joined the ranks of every day Aussie vernacular, or has she heard our League term and figured out was for all sports in Australia?

Jamberoo

Juniors
I did see something on Thursday or Friday morning on one of those morning programs (probs Ch9 hoaring themselves out to aussierules as usual) which was of her doing some kind of promo at the ground and some football showing her how they catch it, kick it, and pass it. She bonced someone on the head with the ball and said "That's what you guys call a falcon, isn't it?"

Has 'the falcon' superceded our great game and joined the ranks of every day Aussie vernacular, or has she heard our League term and figured out was for all sports in Australia?
It has been used in other sports for 5 - 10 years at least.

Warrimoo3

Juniors
It definitely started on The Footy Show after Mario French was hit on the head by a dummy half pass when he was looking the other way whilst playing for Norths. Originally coined by Paul Vautin . “The Falcon”” was Mario Fenech’ nickname . It subsequently grew legs from there and has now entered the vernacular of other sports. Not unlike the “That’s Gold” hand signal that also started with Paul Harragon on the same show.

Warrimoo3

Juniors
It definitely started on The Footy Show after Mario French was hit on the head by a dummy half pass when he was looking the other way whilst playing for Norths. Originally coined by Paul Vautin . “The Falcon”” was Mario Fenech’ nickname . It subsequently grew legs from there and has now entered the vernacular of other sports. Not unlike the “That’s Gold” hand signal that also started with Paul Harragon on the same show.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Some AFL jurnos have got no clue why its a falcon and just explain to celebrities the ball hitting the head is a falcon without a background explanation

Warrimoo3

Juniors
Oops, he was playing for the Crushers at the time .

Nuke

Staff member
Yeah, I remember the origins. Probably the most famous moment in the short history of the Crushers!
My question was more about if the term 'falcon' had grown beyond League's boundaries and joined the wider Aussie terminology. Seemingly so!

Well there ya go. I quite literally have zero interest in any other sport with the exception being cricket and so had no idea. Thanks for that.

Regardless of how his dementia has progressed, I wonder if Mario would be happy or annoyed that his inattentive moment on the field that day has meant he will be known for many years to come.

Latest posts