Grand Final of the decade 2010-2019?

Discussion in 'NRL' started by carcharias, Oct 11, 2019.

1. carcharias

carcharias Immortal

That actually makes me feel good knowing that.

t-ba, Generalzod and Lambretta like this.
  2. typicalfan

typicalfan Coach

2014 the scoreline doesn't do the game justice, the game was a war for the first 50 minutes or so and it wasn't until George Burgess scored a great try that the Dogs broke.

Sadly George is a long way from that form these days.

3. Babyface O'reilly

Babyface O'reilly Bench

I disagree with this as you seem to think there was a GF in 2014. I remember a NRL run Souffs fest where Canterbury we’re invited to attend. Crowe couldn’t resist the limelight and helped an old bloke ring a bell cos he was incapable of doing it himself apparently. Sam cried, forget the rest.

4. King hit

King hit Coach

The 2013 grand final was the best in terms of quality. 2016 was also a very good hard contest that was enjoyable from start to finish. 2017 was by far the most boring. Melbourne were so good the winner was obvious.

Dodgy and axl rose like this.
  5. King hit

King hit Coach

Thurston just got man of the match just because he is Thurston. There were at least 4 players better on his own team

6. The unknown

The unknown Juniors

2016 then this year's. Both absolute slog fests that had you on the edge of your seat the entire game

Generalzod, This Year? and axl rose like this.
  7. Penrose Warrior

Penrose Warrior First Grade

2008. I know it wasn't in this decade, but it was so f**king good that we'll make an exception.

This Year?, firechild and TheDalek079 like this.
  8. Marshall_magic

Marshall_magic Coach

Ranking are almost 100% impartial as my team wasn't anywhere close to 9/10 of these, and the one we were close to making is best remembered by some biased Roosters fans thinking Morris went into touch. Overall I feel this was a pretty good decade of grand final (6/10 would be in the top half overall, and only a couple of stinkers), up on the 00-09 decade where more often than not the games were all but over after an hour.

All timer
    1. 2015 (so many cracking moments, had everything you want from a grand final)

Excellent games
    2. 2016 (belter of a game, proper slug fest, almost got the #1 slot)
    3. 2019 (some questionable moments means this game will sit in slot 3 - trainer getting hit by the ball & a ref changing his mind on the fly ending up having a big impact on the result. Incredible contest though)
    4. 2013 (lively game between two very good sides. Above average grand final)
    5. 2018 (good game, will be remembered for Cronk's on field coaching and Keary having the game of his life)

Passable
    6. 2012 (solid game if a little boring at times. Needed 1 or 2 big moments to make the game into a classic)

Mediocre
    7. 2011 (routine win for Manly. The Warriors were never really in this one and it was what you would expect from a 2 v 6 game. Underwhelming)
    8. 2010 (Pretty one sided, another Brian Smith coached team collapsing when it mattered.

Duds
    9. 2014 (The finals series broke well for a Dogs team that rightfully finished mid table when 3 of the 4 threats to win the comp ended up on the other side of the finals draw. Penrith turning in a shocker meant that a team that had no business making the grand final ended up making it. The result was what you'd expect. Had North Queensland or the Roosters made it a similar result would have occurred. The media circlejerk around Souths was nauseating)
    10. 2017 (with 5 minutes to go in the regular season the Cowboys weren't going to make the finals. A month later they were playing on of the most dominant teams in recent memory in the grand final. Game played out like a premiership heavyweight vs a fringe finals team)

9. Bring back John Fifita

Bring back John Fifita Bench

Just posted elsewhere similarly along these lines. For mine

For Quality of Football / Match - 2013 Roosters Vs Sea Eagles.
    For Tense Finishes - 2015 Cowboys vs Storm
    For Pure Emotion - 2010 (Dragons) 2014 (Rabbitohs) & 2016 (Sharks) victories

This Year?, Tommy Smith and Hutty1986 like this.
  10. Bring back John Fifita

Bring back John Fifita Bench

For mine the Cowboys dont win if..

Kyle Feldt doesnt strip the ball with a minute to go.
    Michael Morgan doesnt play the game of his life and flick passes on the siren to..
    Kyle Feldt Backing up to score.

Michael Morgan was my standout man of the match but Kyle Feldt is largely unheralded by the mainstream media when he basically won the game at the death for the Cowboys.

Dodgy and axl rose like this.
  11. axl rose

axl rose Bench

In fairness it was another Smith team that overacheived to get there (especially his Saints teams in the early 90's) Tigers should have put 40 on them in the first finals match.

Lambretta, Dodgy and The unknown like this.
  12. nick87

nick87 Coach

Yeah hard to go back Cowboys v Broncos
    The drama of that was so incredible

then I think it’s probably Sharks v Storm or Roosters v Raiders

13. Hutty1986

Hutty1986 Referee

2010: For obvious reasons. Still one of the best memories of my life. f**king incredible.
    2019: A fantastic game of footy. Such a shame that refereeing decisions played such a big role. Despite that, Raiders probably win the comp if Leilua wasn't such a dumb f**k.
    2016: A sensational decider. Probably the most I've gotten into a game not involving my team of mongs. Loved the scrum play for Barba's try.
    2013: Jennings try a highlight here, but a cracking game as well. Manly should have won that.
    2012: One of the most memorable defensive masterclasses you can imagine from the Storm.
    2015: Obviously an incredible ending, but the last 20 was just Brisbane trying to crawl to the final whistle. Broncs fans still trying to blame Hunt is eternally amusing.
    2014: Well before kick-off you just knew this decider was set up for the bunnies. Dogs were an after thought after Penrith shat the bed in the prelim and Bunnies were gifted a comfortable win.
    2011: Manly just too good in the big moments. A young bloke with a neck for the big occasion had a blinder.
    2017: Ugh. Shit game with a team of cheats rolling a busted Cowboys side.

Generalzod, jargan83 and This Year? like this.
  14. axl rose

axl rose Bench

Agree with that except for 2012, very dour game. Cams Smith goal kicking was off so it could have been even worse. 2013 the best.

Hutty1986 likes this.
  15. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

I said, [email protected], sir.

16. Charlie124

Charlie124 First Grade

I often forget we even made the 2017 GF to be honest. That year was a one horse race and the Storm would've smashed anyone they faced IMO. Thinking back, i can remember not even being particularly excited or fussed about having made it, i was more impressed with beating the Sharks, Eels and Roosters in the 3 weeks prior just to get there.

Babyface O'reilly likes this.
  17. TheVelourFog

TheVelourFog Bench

2014 was a complete wankfest. Dont even remember the game but it was the worst.

18. gitano

gitano Juniors

2010 was great, but 2019 was better. The ol' Faiders Fadey Fade I am still laughing

19. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Referee

Yeah 2017 was the most one sided comp since the Broncos in 2000.

I live in Townsville so I said to a Cowboys fan mate after we lost the Prelim that at least I saved 2k by not having to go to the GF to watch my team get smashed by the Storm.

That honour fell to him; he did the road trip too looool

20. Babyface O'reilly

Babyface O'reilly Bench

But that’s just a standard sign off anyway.