What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final of the decade 2010-2019?

Daylight

lol@souffs

I disagree with this as you seem to think there was a GF in 2014. I remember a NRL run Souffs fest where Canterbury we’re invited to attend. Crowe couldn’t resist the limelight and helped an old bloke ring a bell cos he was incapable of doing it himself apparently. Sam cried, forget the rest.

King hit

Coach
The 2013 grand final was the best in terms of quality. 2016 was also a very good hard contest that was enjoyable from start to finish. 2017 was by far the most boring. Melbourne were so good the winner was obvious.

Ranking are almost 100% impartial as my team wasn't anywhere close to 9/10 of these, and the one we were close to making is best remembered by some biased Roosters fans thinking Morris went into touch. Overall I feel this was a pretty good decade of grand final (6/10 would be in the top half overall, and only a couple of stinkers), up on the 00-09 decade where more often than not the games were all but over after an hour.

All timer
1. 2015 (so many cracking moments, had everything you want from a grand final)

Excellent games
2. 2016 (belter of a game, proper slug fest, almost got the #1 slot)
3. 2019 (some questionable moments means this game will sit in slot 3 - trainer getting hit by the ball & a ref changing his mind on the fly ending up having a big impact on the result. Incredible contest though)
4. 2013 (lively game between two very good sides. Above average grand final)
5. 2018 (good game, will be remembered for Cronk's on field coaching and Keary having the game of his life)

Passable
6. 2012 (solid game if a little boring at times. Needed 1 or 2 big moments to make the game into a classic)

Mediocre
7. 2011 (routine win for Manly. The Warriors were never really in this one and it was what you would expect from a 2 v 6 game. Underwhelming)
8. 2010 (Pretty one sided, another Brian Smith coached team collapsing when it mattered.

Duds
9. 2014 (The finals series broke well for a Dogs team that rightfully finished mid table when 3 of the 4 threats to win the comp ended up on the other side of the finals draw. Penrith turning in a shocker meant that a team that had no business making the grand final ended up making it. The result was what you'd expect. Had North Queensland or the Roosters made it a similar result would have occurred. The media circlejerk around Souths was nauseating)
10. 2017 (with 5 minutes to go in the regular season the Cowboys weren't going to make the finals. A month later they were playing on of the most dominant teams in recent memory in the grand final. Game played out like a premiership heavyweight vs a fringe finals team)

As far as a great game of footy I think maybe Cowboys v Broncos closely followed by the Shark v Storm

Worst
Storm v Cowboys.

2010 St George Ill 32 Sydney Roosters 8

2011 Manly 24 Warriors 10

2012 Melbourne 14 Canterbury 4

2013 Sydney Roosters 26 Manly 18

2014 Souths 30 Canterbury 6

2015 North Queensland 17 Brisbane 16

2016 Cronulla 14 Melbourne 12

2017 Melbourne 34 North Queensland 6

2018 Sydney Roosters 21 Melbourne 6

2019 Sydney Roosters 14 Canberra 8

Just posted elsewhere similarly along these lines. For mine

For Quality of Football / Match - 2013 Roosters Vs Sea Eagles.
For Tense Finishes - 2015 Cowboys vs Storm
For Pure Emotion - 2010 (Dragons) 2014 (Rabbitohs) & 2016 (Sharks) victories

Morgan's effort on the last try was something special too.

For mine the Cowboys dont win if..

Kyle Feldt doesnt strip the ball with a minute to go.
Michael Morgan doesnt play the game of his life and flick passes on the siren to..
Kyle Feldt Backing up to score.

Michael Morgan was my standout man of the match but Kyle Feldt is largely unheralded by the mainstream media when he basically won the game at the death for the Cowboys.

nick87

Coach
Yeah hard to go back Cowboys v Broncos
The drama of that was so incredible

then I think it’s probably Sharks v Storm or Roosters v Raiders

Hutty1986

Immortal
2010: For obvious reasons. Still one of the best memories of my life. f**king incredible.
2019: A fantastic game of footy. Such a shame that refereeing decisions played such a big role. Despite that, Raiders probably win the comp if Leilua wasn't such a dumb f**k.
2016: A sensational decider. Probably the most I've gotten into a game not involving my team of mongs. Loved the scrum play for Barba's try.
2013: Jennings try a highlight here, but a cracking game as well. Manly should have won that.
2012: One of the most memorable defensive masterclasses you can imagine from the Storm.
2015: Obviously an incredible ending, but the last 20 was just Brisbane trying to crawl to the final whistle. Broncs fans still trying to blame Hunt is eternally amusing.
2014: Well before kick-off you just knew this decider was set up for the bunnies. Dogs were an after thought after Penrith shat the bed in the prelim and Bunnies were gifted a comfortable win.
2011: Manly just too good in the big moments. A young bloke with a neck for the big occasion had a blinder.
2017: Ugh. Shit game with a team of cheats rolling a busted Cowboys side.

axl rose

Bench
2010: For obvious reasons. Still one of the best memories of my life. f**king incredible.
2019: A fantastic game of footy. Such a shame that refereeing decisions played such a big role. Despite that, Raiders probably win the comp if Leilua wasn't such a dumb f**k.
2016: A sensational decider. Probably the most I've gotten into a game not involving my team of mongs. Loved the scrum play for Barba's try.
2013: Jennings try a highlight here, but a cracking game as well. Manly should have won that.
2012: One of the most memorable defensive masterclasses you can imagine from the Storm.
2015: Obviously an incredible ending, but the last 20 was just Brisbane trying to crawl to the final whistle. Broncs fans still trying to blame Hunt is eternally amusing.
2014: Well before kick-off you just knew this decider was set up for the bunnies. Dogs were an after thought after Penrith shat the bed in the prelim and Bunnies were gifted a comfortable win.
2011: Manly just too good in the big moments. A young bloke with a neck for the big occasion had a blinder.
2017: Ugh. Shit game with a team of cheats rolling a busted Cowboys side.

Agree with that except for 2012, very dour game. Cams Smith goal kicking was off so it could have been even worse. 2013 the best.

Charlie124

First Grade
I often forget we even made the 2017 GF to be honest. That year was a one horse race and the Storm would've smashed anyone they faced IMO. Thinking back, i can remember not even being particularly excited or fussed about having made it, i was more impressed with beating the Sharks, Eels and Roosters in the 3 weeks prior just to get there.

gitano

Juniors
2010 was great, but 2019 was better. The ol' Faiders Fadey Fade I am still laughing

Tommy Smith

Referee
I often forget we even made the 2017 GF to be honest. That year was a one horse race and the Storm would've smashed anyone they faced IMO. Thinking back, i can remember not even being particularly excited or fussed about having made it, i was more impressed with beating the Sharks, Eels and Roosters in the 3 weeks prior just to get there.
Yeah 2017 was the most one sided comp since the Broncos in 2000.

I live in Townsville so I said to a Cowboys fan mate after we lost the Prelim that at least I saved 2k by not having to go to the GF to watch my team get smashed by the Storm.

That honour fell to him; he did the road trip too looool

Latest posts