What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final of the decade 2010-2019?

I often forget we even made the 2017 GF to be honest. That year was a one horse race and the Storm would've smashed anyone they faced IMO. Thinking back, i can remember not even being particularly excited or fussed about having made it, i was more impressed with beating the Sharks, Eels and Roosters in the 3 weeks prior just to get there.

I remember going into that Cows/Easts final thinking the winner will be fodder the following week

beave

Coach
I remember going into that Cows/Easts final thinking the winner will be fodder the following week

NQ were absolutely busted up deluxe in during the 3 weeks leading up to the GF. Lots of players playing when they should have been in hospital getting surgery. Was still very proud of them for what they achieved that year regardless of the score line that night.

Reflector

Juniors
2010- Not a close contest (Easts felt like the supporting cast) but it was a fairytale for the believers that would've warmed the heart of all but the most hardened Dragons haters. When Dean Young scored that try it was something special.

2011- I haven't watched this one back since. It was an ok game. I remember that even before kickoff there was this almost tangible relief still that at least the Storm didn't make it. Pity the Warriors couldn't have knocked Manly off in the big one as well...

2012- A dull game, biggest memory for me was James Graham's Ozzy Osbourne impression on Slater's ear.

2013- Not a decider that captured the imagination in terms of the contestants, but thankfully the game far exceeded expectations. Two genuinely good teams going at it, without it turning into a grubby slog-fest and Roosters yanking back victory from the jaws of defeat.

2014- The Souffs show. Substitute the Bunnies with the Storm, Roosters, Sea Eagles or Broncos and most fans would've forgotten this one quickly. Canterbury 2014= Easts 2010. Big Sam's broken cheekbone was poetic though.

2015- The fact this is widely considered to be the best NRL Grand Final to date says a bit about the standard of NRL GF's over the last 21 years. It was a boring game with a memorable finish. The game itself had some good hits, but in terms of the highlights reel there were few memorable 'wow' moments until the last 5 minutes of the contest. The Broncos made the same mistake as the '89 Tigers and the 2017 NSW team- they tried to run out the clock with an insecure lead and it bit them in the arse. We can forever thank the Cowboys for turning that boring game into a fairytale, preventing Bennett's boring tactics winning the GF- and ensuring that a certain team's drought continues to this day...

2016- This was a great contest, felt like a GF from the mid 80's in terms of what a grind it was, and perfectly illustrated the contests between Melbourne and Cronulla of this era. A better contest than the previous year IMO, and when the Storm had the ball 20 metres out with 30 seconds to go I feared it would be another Mark Coyne Origin moment with the purple filth winning. Glad the Sharks finally got to turn the porch light off, regardless of my thoughts on Gallen or Ennis

2017- Ugh. Storm were the best team all season, sure, but the Cowboys made their final job a lot easier. You can bet Captain Slimy and co were cheering NQ on as they played wrecking ball and knocked out teams like Easts and Parra who were the best chances at causing an upset to the purple filth on GF day. Cowboys did just enough to make the decider, then proceeded to be little more than passengers. I watched at the pub but with about 10 minutes to go I'd wandered out to the beer garden with a mate. To this date I've never seen a replay or highlights of this one. It's up there with the '97 Superleague decider, 2007 and 2009 as GF's that should probably be forgotten about

2018- Hardly a fan favourite, contestant-wise. Still, watching Latrell make Chambers his bitch and seeing Slater end his career to a chorus of boos after having every string pulled for him by the NRL sure was delightful to watch. Roosters were worthy Premiers.

2019- At the 70th minute mark this looked like it could be the best GF of the decade. Then Ben Cumstain had to go and f**k it all up in a textbook example of the referee's incompetence in the modern game, and leave the NRL decade finish on an underwhelming note.

For me?

Best: 2013, 2015, 2016

Worst: 2017

What Could've Been: 2019

Spot On

Coach
2015 is a bit of a myth.

Complete bore-a-thon up until the last 5 minutes. Great finish obviously but cant be considered a great game of footy IMO.

Top 3 for me are

2013 IMO was comfortably the highest quality of the lot from whistle to whistle but doesn't get the plaudits it deserves because of the teams involved and no fairy tale.

2017 definitely the worst.

2015 probably 4th just for the finish.

The other 5 were very similar in one side clearly outplayed the other and you can put them in any order.

Have to agree here. 2015 was an average, almost boring game of footy until the last few minutes.

Then it was glorious!!!!

Canard

Immortal
NQ were absolutely busted up deluxe in during the 3 weeks leading up to the GF. Lots of players playing when they should have been in hospital getting surgery. Was still very proud of them for what they achieved that year regardless of the score line that night.

We where always long long odds in '17, but the Fence breaking his leg a few minutes in just wrecked us.

That's the only GF in my living memory that was over after 3mins.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
2010- Not a close contest (Easts felt like the supporting cast) but it was a fairytale for the believers that would've warmed the heart of all but the most hardened Dragons haters. When Dean Young scored that try it was something special.

2011- I haven't watched this one back since. It was an ok game. I remember that even before kickoff there was this almost tangible relief still that at least the Storm didn't make it. Pity the Warriors couldn't have knocked Manly off in the big one as well...

2012- A dull game, biggest memory for me was James Graham's Ozzy Osbourne impression on Slater's ear.

2013- Not a decider that captured the imagination in terms of the contestants, but thankfully the game far exceeded expectations. Two genuinely good teams going at it, without it turning into a grubby slog-fest and Roosters yanking back victory from the jaws of defeat.

2014- The Souffs show. Substitute the Bunnies with the Storm, Roosters, Sea Eagles or Broncos and most fans would've forgotten this one quickly. Canterbury 2014= Easts 2010. Big Sam's broken cheekbone was poetic though.

2015- The fact this is widely considered to be the best NRL Grand Final to date says a bit about the standard of NRL GF's over the last 21 years. It was a boring game with a memorable finish. The game itself had some good hits, but in terms of the highlights reel there were few memorable 'wow' moments until the last 5 minutes of the contest. The Broncos made the same mistake as the '89 Tigers and the 2017 NSW team- they tried to run out the clock with an insecure lead and it bit them in the arse. We can forever thank the Cowboys for turning that boring game into a fairytale, preventing Bennett's boring tactics winning the GF- and ensuring that a certain team's drought continues to this day...

2016- This was a great contest, felt like a GF from the mid 80's in terms of what a grind it was, and perfectly illustrated the contests between Melbourne and Cronulla of this era. A better contest than the previous year IMO, and when the Storm had the ball 20 metres out with 30 seconds to go I feared it would be another Mark Coyne Origin moment with the purple filth winning. Glad the Sharks finally got to turn the porch light off, regardless of my thoughts on Gallen or Ennis

2017- Ugh. Storm were the best team all season, sure, but the Cowboys made their final job a lot easier. You can bet Captain Slimy and co were cheering NQ on as they played wrecking ball and knocked out teams like Easts and Parra who were the best chances at causing an upset to the purple filth on GF day. Cowboys did just enough to make the decider, then proceeded to be little more than passengers. I watched at the pub but with about 10 minutes to go I'd wandered out to the beer garden with a mate. To this date I've never seen a replay or highlights of this one. It's up there with the '97 Superleague decider, 2007 and 2009 as GF's that should probably be forgotten about

2018- Hardly a fan favourite, contestant-wise. Still, watching Latrell make Chambers his bitch and seeing Slater end his career to a chorus of boos after having every string pulled for him by the NRL sure was delightful to watch. Roosters were worthy Premiers.

2019- At the 70th minute mark this looked like it could be the best GF of the decade. Then Ben Cumstain had to go and f**k it all up in a textbook example of the referee's incompetence in the modern game, and leave the NRL decade finish on an underwhelming note.

For me?

Best: 2013, 2015, 2016

Worst: 2017

What Could've Been: 2019
Great summary

T.S Quint

Coach
Best for me: 2014.

I don’t even like Souths...but watching the Dogs get pumped made it a very special night.
It made it easier to be happy with the Rabbitohs winning it all.

Dodgy

Juniors
Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as to say Penrith would've won 14. But losing it would've been better than not making it.

AJB1102

First Grade
I often forget we even made the 2017 GF to be honest. That year was a one horse race and the Storm would've smashed anyone they faced IMO. Thinking back, i can remember not even being particularly excited or fussed about having made it, i was more impressed with beating the Sharks, Eels and Roosters in the 3 weeks prior just to get there.

I think 2017 was a brilliant achievement from your mob making the GF. They just kept getting the job done while everyone kinda ambled along waiting for them inevitably fall away. I envied Cowboys in 2017 thinking "if my Sharkies had half the resolve and determination Cowboys did..."

yobbo84

First Grade
2014 - Highest attendance, highest TV ratings. RL has gone downhill since.

Oh, and my team won for the first time in 43 years. That was nice.

Someguy

First Grade

2017 Storm are easily the best team of the last decade.

Only team that could have challenged them were the sharks, the merge set off a chain of events that led to the mismatched GF. Tohu left at the end of the season and storm have never looked anything close to what they were in 2017 since.

Despite the mismatch 17 doesn’t go down as most dominant GF win of the decade. 2018 roosters! Utterly comprehensive in almost every aspect of the game even if the scoreboard did not reflect how dominant they were

moffla

Bench
Even having lost, 2016 for mine.
It was a heartbreaker but such a cracking game

2012 and 2017 are my favourites for obvious reasons but I can see why people didn’t enjoy 2017

Latest posts