What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final or not??

emjaycee

Coach
Wondering what your thoughts are on whether it is better to make the GF but lose it, or not make it and bow out in the finals.

With Parra seemingly having a choker tag attached, I think losing in either the GF or a final would be acceptable as long as we played well and didn't do a 2001 GF capitulation.

Having said that, of course WINNING the GF is the aim.

Hurriflatch

Referee
yep, losing the grand final is better then losing during the finals

but compared to winning the grand final both other options suck

there is actually part of me that given the option I'd pick not even making the finals over losing the GF or losing during the finals

Clarkieel

Juniors
lol its brian smith that brough the choker tag from st george to parra and now he is gone we can win it!!!!

Hurriflatch

Referee
Clarkieel said:
lol its brian smith that brough the choker tag from st george to parra and now he is gone we can win it!!!!

there was also all those years before 1981 not even Ron and Pricey can blame Smith for that

eels_fan_01

Bench
Although i dont know whether we will win the grand final i still will be disappointed if we dont win it.

Eelectrica

Referee
Prefer to make the GF. If we made it and lost to Melbourne, their is no way anyone could say we choked.

parra pete

Referee
Tis better to have played and lost, then to have never played at all.
Better to be a bridesmaid, then to have not been invited to the wedding.
Grand Final wins are good for the night and next day..after that...WHO CARES..especially the way Club loyalty is with the players these days...
I must be getting old and grumpy, because I definitely preferred watching football in the sixties, seventies and eighties than I do now.
It was more tribal and loyal then. Ruled by players attitudes and not money.
Give me that era ANY TIME.

oneguy

Juniors
Hmmm - It's a mixture for me:

Top 3 games that really sucked for me were - 2001 GF (that hurt real bad), the semi final vs Cowboys a couple of years ago, and the semi vs Dogs where Polla Mounter slotted one over. So that's 1 GF and 2 SF.

Conversely wasn't to upset (relatively speaking) when Parra lost the 84 and 84 GF.

spiderdan

Bench
oneguy said:
Hmmm - It's a mixture for me:

Top 3 games that really sucked for me were - 2001 GF (that hurt real bad), the semi final vs Cowboys a couple of years ago, and the semi vs Dogs where Polla Mounter slotted one over. So that's 1 GF and 2 SF.

Conversely wasn't to upset (relatively speaking) when Parra lost the 84 and 84 GF.
i thought polla-mounter slotted one under (you're talking about '98, yeah?). from memory it was just after paul carriage had the first of three brain explosions that game. went to extra time and we lost 32-20 after we led 18-2 with about 10 mins to go in regular time.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Eelectrica said:
Prefer to make the GF. If we made it and lost to Melbourne, their is no way anyone could say we choked.

Cant argue with that Id rather we make the GF without anyone expecting it and losing it wouldnt be a big problem.

A lot of people still expect a Manly/Melbourne GF, but Id love to see us make it like Brisbane did last year.

Sterling

Juniors
bowing out in a GF qualifier or the big one would be devastating for me ..... and i rekon everyone on this forum. We have been waiting since 1986 for gods sake ... im sick of waiting ! if we win i think i will probably have cardiac arrest from the excitement.

mickdo

Coach
spiderdan said:
i thought polla-mounter slotted one under (you're talking about '98, yeah?). from memory it was just after paul carriage had the first of three brain explosions that game. went to extra time and we lost 32-20 after we led 18-2 with about 10 mins to go in regular time.
yeah, i was at that game. that really, really sucked.

Eelsnutcase

Juniors
i live in newcastle so 2001 was soooo bad for me i still get crap about it.A while ago i was working in retail and thats when the knights grand finals dvd came out and my boss decided to play it on the plasmas we have.Was the worst ever watching it over and over again.

Jono078

Referee
I really think Parra is one of 4 teams that can make the big one. On current form they wont get near the Storm.

But there is improvement in them, particularly in the halves. So if they can play some good footy in the finals they could take out the comp this year.