What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Sunday 3rd October 7:30pm @Suncorp Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Also from the Sydney Morning Herald,

James Packer interview: Penrith’s saviour reveals why he bought into Souths

Michael Chammas

James Packer, the man who saved the Penrith Panthers from extinction, will be watching this Sunday’s NRL grand final from his Los Angeles home cheering for South Sydney.

In an exclusive interview with The Sydney Morning Herald, the South Sydney part owner has paid tribute to close friend Russell Crowe, crediting the Hollywood star as the reason he bought into the club back in 2014 to form one of the most powerful alliances in world sport.

“Souths are iconic - they have a wonderful history and traditions,” Packer told the Herald from the United States on Monday.

“When the opportunity came up and the chance to work closely with Russell, it just felt right. A premiership would be extraordinarily rewarding for the team, club and supporters.

“The Rabbitohs are bigger than any individual and there are countless people who have played a role getting them here, but Russell is pretty special. I have seen first hand that Russell puts his heart and soul into the club, and I deeply respect and admire him for that.”

This Sunday’s NRL grand final at Suncorp Stadium will be South Sydney’s first appearance in the decider since Peter Holmes a Court sold his 37.5 per cent share of the club to the billionaire businessman following the club’s 2014 premiership triumph over the Canterbury Bulldogs.

A couple of years earlier, Packer dipped into his pockets to save the Panthers as a favour to long-time friend Phil Gould.

With Penrith in urgent need of $10 million, Packer agreed to have lunch with Gould, the newly appointed Panthers general manager at the time, and then chairman Don Feltis.

The Panthers’ $100m loan from ING bank had been sold to a New Zealand corporate raider called Torchlight, which had immediately called in the debt.

They weren’t demanding the $100m up front, but wanted 10 per cent straight away. It’s when Packer came through to keep the club alive.

“Phil is a great friend and he told me the Panthers needed my support, I was happy to help them through a tough spot, but I wouldn’t overplay my role.”

Feltis told the Herald last year that Packer didn’t hesitate to offer the financial assistance to keep the Panthers afloat.

“It was the first time I’d met him and he said: ‘Don, we’ll give you the $10 million. That’s no problem’,” Feltis said.

“Just like that. We didn’t have to sign anything. There was no interest or anything. He gave us $10 million and a few months later we gave his $10 million back to him. We owned Nepean Shores [retirement village] at that time, and we sold Nepean Shores for $11 million and paid Packer back his $10 million.

“He only did it because of his friendship with Phil Gould. Him and Phil are pretty close friends. I don’t think James would have given us that money if he hadn’t been mates with Phil.”

You could understand why Packer, when waking up in the early hours of Sunday morning to watch the grand final, would have a soft spot for Penrith. But there’s no questioning where his allegiances lie, regardless of how significant a role he played in Penrith becoming the powerhouse they are today.

“Two proud and successful clubs, I wish them both luck,” Packer said. “But I’ll be cheering for Souths.”

While Packer is financially invested in the club, which was recently evident in the form of a $1m donation to assist Souths Cares, he does not have the same hands-on role as Crowe.

He has two delegates on the board that he allows to take care of affairs on his behalf, placing trust in the club’s executive team to handle the operational side of the business.

Despite the on-field success of the Rabbitohs in recent years, Packer is delighted with the club’s work off the field.

“I like that Souths gives back to the local community,” he said. “Russell and I are proud of the work of Souths Cares and the strong support and leadership of the board and CEO Blake Solly.”

As for the man with the clipboard?

“Wayne [Bennett] has proven that he really is a master coach,” Packer said.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Insider 2021 Grand Final: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/09/29/rabbitohs-insider---grand-final-edition/

Rabbitoh rings true: Retiring Luke happy for Api but backing Bunnies: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/09/29...iring-luke-happy-for-api-but-backing-bunnies/

‘Childish’ - Panthers furious with Souths as GF feud explodes over formal complaint: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/ceff7dfb373970082224e988bc0469ab

Gotta love it! I think our little complaint has already had the desired effect. We're hopefully living in their heads rent free. So this was a private complaint we put in to the NRL, we have not discussed it in the media at all. However, it has once again been leaked and it's the Panthers that are talking about it in the media. Yet, they don't want to get into another slanging match?

Both of the following articles are from Zero Tackle,

Multi-million dollar bond at the heart of Souths’ success

Throughout the course of their near 114-year history, the South Sydney Rabbitohs have become renowned for a multitude of reasons.

The club once dubbed the 'Pride of the League' are both famed for having won the most premierships in the competition with 21 and also for their rich record of producing talent that has seen some of the game's greatest ever names wear cardinal and myrtle jerseys.

Still, if it wasn't for the perpetual nourishment of their juniors competition, and the many sterling kids that have cut their teeth across playing paddocks from Mascot to La Perouse, there is no telling how different both the past and the present would appear.

According to a Wednesday morning report from The Daily Telegraph's Dean Ritchie, Souths Juniors have tipped in upwards of $2 million to their local competition this season and have committed more than $100 million since their formation in 1957.

Though many names have made the grade due to this financing, the devotion has paid dividends again this year, as current Souths stars Adam Reynolds, Cameron Murray, Keaon Koloamatangi, Campbell Graham, Alex Johnston and Blake Taaffe have all risen from grassroots programs to the Grand Final in 2021.

Speaking ahead of the club's 35th decider this Sunday, Souths Juniors President Keith McCraw explained that his collective's efforts meant that all youngsters in the area could realistically dream of following in the aforementioned sextet's footsteps.

“Since the foundation of the club, I’d suggest comfortably $100m that has been put into the propagation of junior rugby league,” McCraw told Ritchie.

"We put in north of $2m a year.

“We cover shorts, socks, jumpers, insurance, we accredit their coaches and officials, we pay the rental, we pay the rental for the lighting at their grounds, we pay for the referees’ fees and give grants to the clubs. We pay everything.

“That’s what the club was built for – to propagate junior rugby league."

While other program's initiatives may be reliant on parents paying fees to see their children learn the code, Souths' equitable beliefs mean that irrespective of their backgrounds, no kid is ever left behind.

“We have some housing estates out here and not everyone can afford to have their kids playing sport. Every kid runs out equal, whether their dad is a doctor or unemployed," McCraw continued.

“I’ve seen those six kids come through from nappy grade. We gave them their start and they have never forgotten where they came from. It’s wonderful.”

Bunnies' CEO Blake Solly championed the work of McCraw's group when speaking to Ritchie and emphatically stated that the Rabbits always ran truest when their own people were pulling on their jersey.

“Souths has always been at their strongest when there is a core group of juniors in our side," he explained.

"We had five in our top 17 for the 2014 grand final and it’s wonderful to now have six in 2021."

Having been a schoolboy the last time the self-titled 'Oldest, Proudest and Loudest' side reigned supreme, Campbell Graham explained that his roots in the area had made him even keener to deliver it rewards this weekend.

“Souths Juniors are so invested in developing their players and this would be the ultimate repayment, to win a premiership for the club,” the Coogee and Maroubra product explained to The Daily Telegraph.

“It’s just another reason why I want to bring the trophy home."

Despite wider Sydney still being locked down ahead of the season's decider, the 22-year-old revealed that mood around Redfern was still at fever pitch.

“I was talking to Cameron Murray the other day about how good the buzz and atmosphere would be around the place this week," Graham continued.

“We are getting videos and messages from people I grew up with saying how excited they are, given it’s a tough time in lockdown back in Sydney.

“This has given them something to smile about which is a great feeling. You know how much the community is invested in the club.

“To hopefully be part of that successful history would be unreal. And there are five other boys who have taken a very similar pathway to me.”

Graham and his mates from the neighborhood will take on Penrith this Sunday for the chance to bring home South Sydney's 22nd premiership.

2021 Premiership rings to honour ‘thin blue line’

They may be the prize that every player is desperate to get on their hands, but this season's premiership rings will honour the defenders of the street rather than the try line.

With 2020's design produced to pay homage to relief workers and firefighters that battled Covid and blazes respectively, the pattern adoring the jewellery that will be awarded to either Souths or Penrith on Sunday has been created as a nod of thanks to the 60,000-plus Police men and women across Australia.

Crafted by the hands of Affinity Diamonds following the blue (and white) print concocted by New South Wales' Police Commissioner Mick Fuller, the 17 rings have been built to mimic a ubiquitous design that adorns Police vehicles and hats throughout the nation.

pjimage-2021-09-29T151247.652.jpg
The 2021 premiership rings as captured by Richard Dobson for The Daily Telegraph (28/9/21)
Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Fuller explained the depth of his flashy design.

“The design was done in a way that the top of the ring with blue sapphires and white diamonds looks like a chequered band, which truly reflects not just the national nature of the game NRL but of course policing right across Australia,” he revealed.

The Charles Sturt University graduate that assumed the state's top law enforcement role in March of 2017 stated that although Police were "often dealing with the worst side of life", the commendation was an apt tribute for "all of the hard work that they have done, not just during Covid but the challenges of policing.

According to the aforementioned report, the rings that contain two-carats worth of diamonds and blue sapphires are said to be worth in the vicinity of $10,000 per unit.

The glittering bands will be presented to the victorious side by either Wayne Bennett or Ivan Cleary depending on how the scoreboard reads on Sunday night.

callmack1

Staff member

Rabbits20

Immortal
Who Joyce Churchill wants to win the Clive Churchill Medal

The widow of South Sydney Immortal Clive Churchill wants a special Rabbitoh to win the prestigious grand final medal named in her husband’s honour.

Dean Ritchie

September 28, 2021 - 6:19AM

Joyce Churchill will sit down on Sunday night, open a bottle of champagne, and start cheering on a player she reckons South Sydney is “silly to let go’’.

The widow of South Sydney Immortal Clive Churchill wants departing Rabbitohs halfback Adam Reynolds to win the prestigious grand final medal named in her husband’s honour in his last game for the club.

The player-of-the-match award, in its 35th season, was created to honour Churchill, who died in 1985.

Unable to attend Sunday’s game between Souths and Penrith in Brisbane, Joyce, 94, will watch from her Sydney home.

“I can’t go to Queensland, but I’ll be sitting here with a champagne and thinking about who is going to win Clive’s medal, and I would like Adam Reynolds to win it,” Joyce said. “I’ve been watching him play a lot, and I think he’s a great player.

“I love watching him, and I think Souths are silly to let him go. He is such a good kicker. He sometimes reminds me of Eric Simms.

“A lot of footballers are in the news for the wrong reasons, but Adam has a nice family life and he’s a loyal clubman. He is competitive on the field, and he’s never in trouble off the field.

“I think he’s good for the image of rugby league, and I’d like to see Adam Reynolds win Clive’s medal.”

Displaying his pride in Souths’ history, Reynolds last weekend wore special one-off boots featuring small photos of Souths legends George Piggins, John Sattler and John Sutton.

Unbelievably, Clive Churchill – nicknamed The Little Master – played a direct role in nine of Souths’ 21 titles – five as a player, four as coach.

He has always been regarded as South Sydney’s greatest player.

“Clive will be up there at the Pearly Gates watching the game and waiting for me,” Joyce said.

“I will tell him all about the footy, all the news and gossip about Souths. He is looking down, saying, ‘I should be down there with you’.

“I said to (son) Rod that your father has been gone a long time now, but every football season his name comes up everywhere.

“Even the young ones when you go shopping, they talk about ‘Mrs Churchill, Clive and Souths’. It’s unbelievable.”

Joyce nominated several reasons why she thinks Souths will claim victory over grand final favourite Penrith.

“I’m thrilled Souths are in the grand final, I love seeing them there,” she said.

“The way they have been playing over the last three or four weeks, the way they have been tackling, they’ve been great.

“I like Wayne (Bennett), too. He keeps to himself and doesn’t have much to say to the press. He is very quiet, but must be proud of his team.

“I know he’s moving back to Brisbane, but I would love to see him stay with Souths. I think he’s a great coach.

“Most of the Souths side are quite young, so that’s a good thing. Good on Souths, I hope they win, I’d love to see them win. I said to Rod, these boys are going to make the grand final.”

Rod reminded Joyce that last Saturday was the 50th anniversary of Clive coaching South Sydney to the 1971 premiership.

“I was there, of course,” Joyce said.

“We were worried at the time that Elwyn Walters was hurt in the semi-final and he couldn’t play in the grand final.

“Clive said to us that we’ll be right because George Piggins was taking his place.

“George basically won the game for Souths because he was raking the ball back legally in the play-the-ball and getting possession for Souths.

“Bob McCarthy and Ronnie Coote played the best, but George was just about match of the match.

“I also remember ‘Satts’ (John Sattler) with his broken jaw (in the 1970 grand final).”

Souths saviour George Piggins
This is the grand final which proves South Sydney could never die.

Rabbitohs godfather George Piggins – who fought a life-threatening infection in April – says his club’s surge into this season’s NRL grand final made their heroic fight for reinstatement nearly 20 years ago all “worthwhile.”

“It makes me proud to know that we saved this club for all the right reasons, and our efforts have been worthwhile,” Piggins said.

“And it was the ordinary folk – the tens of thousands who marched and raised their voices and donated their money.

“Souths making the grand final is special but winning it would make surviving my recent illness even more worthwhile.”

And in an exclusive pre-grand final interview, Piggins also reveals:

- A thawing in his at-times frosty relationship with Souths co-owner, Russell Crowe.

- Wayne Bennett is the best coach in the NRL.

- A desire for Adam Reynolds to leave Redfern with a premiership despite labelling his departure to Brisbane a “shame.”

- Former Souths champion Kevin Longbottom would be “proud” of his great nephew, Rabbitohs fullback Blake Taaffe.

“As I sat and watched the win over Manly, I couldn’t help thinking about the massive fight by a whole lot of people to get Souths reinstated to the NRL,” said Piggins.

“To me, rugby league, like other team sports, is cyclic. If the criteria which was applied to Souths back then, was applied today, then it might be the Bulldogs or Tigers in the firing line.

“That aside, the reason we all fought so hard to save Souths was because this famous club is a community asset.

“It has always given young blokes from the district, as well as other aspiring footballers from country areas, a chance to make something of themselves. It makes me proud to know we saved this club for all the right reasons, and our efforts have been worthwhile.

“There are many people who made huge sacrifices and contributions to bring Souths to this point – far too many to rattle off. Souths Juniors deserve special mention for how they’ve fostered the game in our district.

“Also, my old board of directors who for so many years helped us survive on the smell of an oily rag. And there were celebrities like Alan Jones, Andrew Denton, Ray Martin, Nick Greiner and others who charged to the cause.

“But mainly it was the ordinary folk – the tens of thousands who marched and raised their voices and donated their money.”

Piggins has watched his club progress to the decider with pride and is now hoping for Souths’ 22nd premiership.

“It was fantastic to watch the Rabbitohs make the grand finals by beating one of our arch rivals Manly,” he said.

“And what made it even better was that we had so many Souths juniors in the team. Adam Reynolds deserves praise. A great Souths junior who plays with skill and courage.

“What a shame to see this bloke leave the club, but hopefully leave with a second grand final victory. And what about the bloke who I reckon is the best coach in the game. Wayne Bennett has done a fantastic job.

“I will also give credit to Russell Crowe and James Packer for bringing Souths to a point where the Red and Green is thriving and the CEO Blake Solly, a lovely bloke who is steering the ship in the right direction.

“I also want to make special mention of the young fullback Blake Taaffe whose ancestry has special meaning to me. His great uncle Kevin Longbottom was a great mate of mine. I played with him, and he was the most underrated player of his era. A great bloke and a great fullback and goal kicker. ‘Lummy’ would be very proud of young Blake. Good luck boys in the grand final.”

Solly added: “Souths wouldn’t be where they are today without the way George led the fightback.

“We’re celebrating that fightback this year throughout the club and, in some ways, what the players are doing on the field this year is a reflection of the courage and tenacity George showed during the fightback.

“It’s only fitting that the club’s highest playing honour – The George Piggins Medal – is named after one of its greatest people.”

Close friend and former Souths media director Norm Lipson, who marched with Piggins, heaped praise on his old mate.

“George Piggins is a true Souths hero,” Lipson said.

“We all know that George and Noelene Piggins mortgaged two properties for more than $3m to save the Rabbitohs and famously took on the NRL and inspired hundreds of thousands of people to back him in a fight he led, and we eventually won.

“I am reminded about the old saying about success having a thousand fathers and failure being an orphan. Yes, George had a lot of help from a lot of people but have no doubt, he was the father of Souths’ success.

“I was there and I know that without him, there would have been no fightback. Souths would have capitulated.

“It was his toughness, stubbornness, principles, courage and leadership which galvanised and rallied the public and motivated tens of thousands of people to twice march up George Street to support the fight.

“If you are ever in the trenches and you can pick only one person to be in there with you - the choice is easy - George Leslie Piggins. He is a bloody great bloke. There should be a statue of the man.”
THERE IS ONLY ONE ADAM REYNOLDS

ONE AAADDDDAAAMMMMM RRREEEYYYYYNNNNOOOOLLLDDDSSSS

Rabbits20

Immortal
NRL Premiership rings designed in Sydney: https://www.9news.com.au/national/n...n-sydney/d7aaea82-655c-499e-a5db-b609171be684

Get the tissues ready!! This next story will get the water works flowing!! Spine tingling stuff! What an honor for Bully. He bloody deserves it!

You’re still the prince of Redfern - Crowe anoints Luke as Grand Final bell ringer: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/yo...-grand-final-bell-ringer-20210929-p58vsq.html
Mate I’ve got shivers and tingling buzzing sensations all through my body how bloody good couldn’t have thought of anyone better. What a proud and emotional moment this will be. I will be on my feet for this moment for sure followed by the boys coming down the tunnel it’s such a STAND AND APPLAUD moment no way I can sit for it.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Graham ready to put body ‘through hell’ to taste grand final glory
SMH By Phil Lutton
September 29, 2021 — 4.03pm

They used to be the princes of the game, rugby league centres. Conjure up visions of the modern greats and you might see Steve Renouf striding out like an Olympian, or Mal Meninga leaving a trail of bodies as he tramples his way to the tryline.

These days, the threes and fours must be perfect 10s in defence and do more grunt work than a GI (not Greg Inglis). You only need to listen to Rabbitohs centre Campbell Graham’s mindset before the grand final for an insight into what he expects from the Penrith defence.

“I’ll put my body through hell to get the result,” Campbell said. “Everything hurts, especially at this time of year, but we’ve only got one game to get through.

“I know it’s going to be the toughest game I’ve ever played and that’s how I have to think going into it.”

Graham has been one of the unsung contributors for the Rabbitohs, adding 10 line breaks and nine tries to his courageous carries out of defence, where the towering 22-year-old is often met with stinging shots from rushing tacklers.

And he’s offered a big body in a key defensive position, saying he wasn’t happy with his effort on that front against Manly but feels he has grown immeasurably in that department with the guidance of Souths assistant and future head coach Jason Demetriou.

“I give that credit to Jason D. I’ve been trying to stay in that system as much as I can and I’m working with him every week,” Graham said. “I thought last week I was a bit disappointing, I have to be better this week. It’s a big focus for me.”

The running joke at Souths is that Graham is Wayne Bennett’s long lost son. His dad, Stewart, a Glaswegian sewing-machine mechanic, is apparently a dead ringer for the supercoach.

“They could be brothers,” Graham said. “But Wayne has been great for me. He’s made sure I’ve had a level-head and never get too far ahead of myself.”

Maybe Graham has been in Queensland for too long but he’s eager to latch on to the underdog tag that has been assigned to the Rabbitohs since their heavy losses to Melbourne and Penrith mid-year. Even after beating the Panthers in week one of the finals, they arrive in the decider as outsiders.

“It does sit well me me, yeah. We had some big losses to Penrith and Melbourne, so that’s where it stemmed from. Credit to them, they played great football all year,” Graham said. “But if we turn up on the day, we’re as tough to beat as anybody.”

Rabbits20

Immortal
Jim Wilson interview with Reyno.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
A second fear causing a loss of sleep, is that our most potent attack ploy is outmaneuvering the opposition flanks with Cody Walker using decoys to bamboozle opponents. In the first half Manly crowded him with straight-on pressure – twice forcing him to throw wild passes, and a third time causing him to drop the ball when he attempted to cut inside the defence. If that pressure is successfully repeated Sunday, Souths may be in tears. Yet, Cody showed his class in the second half by standing an extra metre back to give himself that little bit more time to set the outside on attacks. (Not to forget his two opportunists tries from two grubbers, plus his improving kicking game as the match progressed.)
I'm not worried about Campbell.
And Paulo has to trust his inside man to make the tackle, I'm sure that will be drummed into his head.

For me, your second point is the key. I definitely expect them to jump off their line early and rush Cody like Manly did. Hopefully Souths have worked a couple of counters, like step and run, or step and offload inside, or a short grubber behind their line leaving them exposed at the back. Edwards is injured, if he does manage to line up, he definitely needs to be tested with the short grubber, and our fellas charging hard on the ball.

Ikonic

Juniors
If our forwards can match the Riff forwards in the opening 20-25 and we can hold the ball it will go along way. You’d think after 3 hard games they’d be buggered

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
If our forwards can match the Riff forwards in the opening 20-25 and we can hold the ball it will go along way. You’d think after 3 hard games they’d be buggered
Cookie has got to nullify Api.

He did that very successfully the last matchup, and we won. Previous matchups he was MIA, and Api torched him.

Api is their fittest forward. In the Storm game, he didn't slow up much, and his play held Melbourne off.

Cook needs to run, run, run. Make Api tackle, tackle, tackle.