What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GRAND FINAL: Parramatta v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD at Accor 2/10/22

IFR33K

Coach
To think The disrespect that their players showed Parra before the game the whole childish “Daddy” comment and it wasn’t acted on by the team and coach shows that our players and coaches really are soft . Any great coach would have just rubbed his hands with glee using that as ammo. But nothing absolutely nothing. When Theres only one game left and it’s the final, you use whatever means you can to motivate to win that game. But we just played a normal game.

you really stuffed up BA.

sorry Jake, how do you not know he addressed it privately to the team. I don’t like Ba as much as you or anyone, but now you’re just guessing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How many Under age and reserve grade comps did we win while Brian Smith was here?? We also made made 5 prelims a GF and 2 minor premierships. Not bad for a little club with no resources. Or maybe it just wasn’t the money it was the way the man went about setting up our junior pathways??? Money has never been a problem for our club and to suggest otherwise is just classic Pou BS.
We have clearly had periods where our resourcing has been better and worse over the years. I pointed out how good our junior rep teams went in 2017 compared to the years since. The reasons for the change in resourcing come down to politics, including the desire for sustainability. You can sell the club into hock for a better chance at a premiership in a given period, but then you’ll pay for it later. This would’ve been what happened to us after 2005-2009. Obviously though some clubs are just bigger than others and will have more success over the long term. If the Tigers went from their current long term performance to what the Panthers are doing I wouldn’t just look at Benji Marshall as the cause. I’d be expecting that the club had found a whole bunch of money behind the scenes. Cleary got them into ninth place in his second year there, but in his second year back at Penrith they were minor premiers.

hindy111

Post Whore
I've never seen a team play with more desire than the eels team that beat the cowboys. Attitude is fine in the big games. We have weaknesses in our squad that the Panthers were able to exploit. Thats our biggest issue.

When I say attitude I mean get grubby. I told you my tactics. It involved hands in faces and grubby plays. We have no aggressor. No enforcer.
It's an issue attitude wise when play to clean.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Don’t look at the outcome of something and assume it was the game plan. You are smarter than that. They were comprehensively outplayed. Most teams would have struggled to hold them to 18 points in that first half.
I'm really not :( I just sat through the last episode of Rangs of Powah and i think i lost why little brain cells i have left.

Parra Pride

Coach
Gotta say I was disappointed with our early play. When we are on, the forwards play passes, switch the ball around and then offload. Today it seemed we were just going for the grind. We needed to be more enterprising from the start and weren’t.
The second we actually started playing like that we put points on the board, the problem was we only decided to do that down be 28 with five minutes left.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
i honestly think you’re being a little harsh on them. The Penrith players belted everyone last night. We struggled to make 30 metres in many sets. Their go forward was phenomenal, their size and strength are second to none. No nrl team was beating them last night. Not the 01 eels, not the 09 eels and no storm team. They have no weakness and play as thou they’re possessed.

How we never chased Phil Gould is beyond me.
I'd still chase Brian Smith to fix our pathways.

the phantom menace

First Grade
It probably hasn't been said/reflected on much in the past 24 hours... but Reed Mahoney tackled himself into a standstill for us last night.

We're going to miss that constant effort around the ruck next season, and his replacement - as well as our other forwards - will need to step up the tackling otherwise we'll be toast.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
To think The disrespect that their players showed Parra before the game the whole childish “Daddy” comment and it wasn’t acted on by the team and coach shows that our players and coaches really are soft . Any great coach would have just rubbed his hands with glee using that as ammo. But nothing absolutely nothing. When Theres only one game left and it’s the final, you use whatever means you can to motivate to win that game. But we just played a normal game.

We squibbed it and they played like Softcocks, this was the biggest game of their lives and they couldn't get up for it. They can all get farked as far as i'm concerned. Penrith played great but we made it all so easy for them.

We squibbed it and they played like Softcocks, this was the biggest game of their lives and they couldn't get up for it. They can all get farked as far as i'm concerned. Penrith played great but we made it all so easy for them.
Penrith were def awesome. Phenomenal. Their team on paper is good but we have good players too. We could have won if we had shown up with same damn passion as those guys. They wanted it more. You can’t buy that shit.

Eelementary

Post Whore
If this isn't enough motivation for us next year then we should all just pack up and play with Norths in the State Cup.

Is that sort of carry on necessary?

They are miles better than us, or anyone else. They've proved it time, and time again.

Why lay the boot in?

For all the likeability of Dylan Edwards, Brian To'o, Isaiah Yeoh, and Moses Leota, you've got dickheads like Jerome Luai, James Fisher-Harris, and Stephen Crichton.

I even find Nathan Cleary a bit on the nose.

It's fine to celebrate - they deserve it -, but laying the boot in is classless. I would expect better.

But on a side note - I hope Edwards gets a Kangaroos jersey. He's a class act.

Eelementary

Post Whore

I thought we belted them in the first 5 minutes - I've never seen us tackle that hard.

Problem is, we ran out of puff, Penrith weathered the storm, and rolled right through us.

Chipmunk

Coach
So I've just watched the first 27 minutes of the game. There was some seriously concerning signs from the outset.

From Panthers second set of the game, there was no line speed. They weren't neccessarily playing the ball any faster than us at this stage, we just sat there and waited for them to reach our defensive line.

Then, on the other side their line speed was relentless.

Were we seriously gassed after 2 minutes? I suspect not. We weren't ready to play a grand final. No way.

One thing I've thought for a while that we do far too often is run straight into the marker, and this was on show again last night. We were easy pickings for them.

The kick on the first tackle was a good play really, and we then had them 5 metres out from their tryline. But why wasnt this backed up with line speed and smash the shit out of them? We had them right where we wanted them - but no, Tackle 1 was 5 metres out, Tackle 2 15 metres out, Tackle 3 22 metres out, Tackle 4 30 metres out and Tackle 5, 41 metres out. All just from one out hit ups.

In contrast our responding set of six was
Tackle 1 16 metres out, Tackle 2 19 metres out, Tackle 3 23 metres out, Tackle 4 26 metres out, Tackle 5 34 metres out. We then kick inside their 20 metres and tackle 1 was 35 metres out. They score off this set of six on Tackle 5. Where was the kick chase to start? To start the set, it was non existent and again we waited for them to run into us. Just sat back and waited.

After we kick off they made 60 metres on 5 tackles and it literally became all too hard from there, the Panthers just took the easy metres on offer and we let them control the game.

Were they that great in this first 20 metres or were we just not up for the contest like we should've been?

I can't believe that a team who is ready to play in a grand final, basically stops moving up in defence after the first set of six in the match. It's not hard, it wasn't tactical brilliance, it was just laziness.

We were in no way ready and in the right frame of mind to play a grand final.

Disappointing really.

Last edited: