What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final vs Cowboys Discussion + Voting

Maroon4life

Juniors
Tough game. Really feeling for Ben hunt.

Has to go down as one of the biggest GF throws in history, shame were the club to do it.

Positive notes - Thought all our forwards were terrific, every one of them. Milford looked great and made alot of clutch plays.

Negatives - Our negative football in the 2nd half. The way Nikorima was used purely as a ball dispenser, Ben Hunt's kicking game.

inside_pass

Bench
Ben Hunt's attacking game:
Throw a dummy,throw a dummy and throw a dummy...........he's got nothing else!

Wildcard

Juniors
Ben Hunt's attacking game:
Throw a dummy,throw a dummy and throw a dummy...........he's got nothing else!

Sure he has, give away a penalty for a spear tackle and then knock on in golden point in front of the sticks. Should never get a game again and should go into exile in f*cking Siberia.

Dazzat

First Grade
Before everyone starts savaging Ben Hunt, let's remember, I doubt if we would have made the finals without him playing as well as he has all year.

In the end, he was just trying too hard. The spear tackle - came from trying too hard. Dropping the ball - a massive mistake in the context of a game, but he'll recover.

Hunt is the future of the Broncos, for many, many years, and when I see posts like from Wildcard, I wonder why some people even bother "supporting" a club, because you have no idea.

The Broncos lead for 79 minutes 59 seconds of the game. Should we heap blame on Corey Oates for coming in off his wing to tackle Morgan (who had two men on him already).

Rugby league is a team game, and the Broncos gave it a huge crack. At the start of the year I thought that making the eight would have been a bonus.

But now we have played in one of the greatest grand finals in history, and lost to a champion player in JT. I'm disappointed but happy. And looking forward to next year.

gUt

Coach
Don't crucify Hunt dudes, he's had an incredible season and he'll be better for this experience next year. The whole team will be. If Linnett catches that Thurston pass it's all over anyway. The 2015 Cows were just the expert last quarter footy side and showed it again. We just didn't have the extra level to go to and they did.

Last edited:

Nerd

Bench
First off congratulations to the Cowboys. They held their nerve and got us in the end.

For us Broncos supporters we had it won but just weren't good enough to finish them off. As we have a relatively young side and with McGuire back next year hopefully we're good enough to give the GF another crack next year.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Congrats cowboys, commiserations broncos fans. It's tough to lose a GF like that in the last moments of the game, us Dragons fans sure know the feeling!

I think that lost may steel bennett to coach on for a few more years now.

getsmarty

Immortal
Keep your heads up Broncos Fans. You should be proud of your teams efforts. Really feel for Ben Hunt but I think the future is bright for your team.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
When Hunt missed a game for us this year we saw how much we missed him. Without Hunt we would have come nowhere near the GF.

In saying that, it showed that Hunt isn't ready yet for the big stage. As much as it blows right now I think that game for Hunt will be good for his future.

On the other hand, when Milford is confident, I don't think it matters how big the game is. He was superb.

There were so many moments in this game we could have done better. It hurts too much to think about it. But I wasn't really happy with how we played so negative in the last 25-30 minutes. It was too long to hold out a lead.

gUt

Coach
Have to say, Hodges was pretty much invisible tonight. Did some good things in defense but was barely sighted.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Didn't think I could ever feel sorry for the Broncos but today I truly do. As much as I wanted the Cowboys to win, that's just a cruel way of going down. I couldn't imagine what would've happened had we lost last year.

Onwards and upwards I guess, you guys have a great squad for the future and I wouldn't be surprised if you took it out next year. To make the big one with the changes in the squad this year is a great feat. Be proud of your boys, they gave it their all, other than my team.

Ph1l

Juniors
Aaargh. Yet another season without a result. Albeit, mighty close. I'm surprised the Broncs closed up shop in the second half when playing attractive attacking football got them to the GF. That second penalty shot to go from 2 to 4 in front left me remembering the bad old days under Bennett. I feel sorry for Ben Hunt. Obviously the occasion got the better of him. He'll be a much better player for it. I'm sure.
Here's to next year.

Maroon4life

Juniors
I don't think anyone is blaming Ben Hunt, not legitimate Broncos fans anyway, other supporters trolling are just baiting.

He's human and made some unfortunate mistakes.

Go back and rewatch that last 15 seconds, 4 missed tackles on Thurston and Milfords delayed tackle on Morgan which dragged Oates in are why they got into the position to win.

Dazzat

First Grade
When Hunt missed a game for us this year we saw how much we missed him. Without Hunt we would have come nowhere near the GF.

In saying that, it showed that Hunt isn't ready yet for the big stage. As much as it blows right now I think that game for Hunt will be good for his future.

On the other hand, when Milford is confident, I don't think it matters how big the game is. He was superb.

There were so many moments in this game we could have done better. It hurts too much to think about it. But I wasn't really happy with how we played so negative in the last 25-30 minutes. It was too long to hold out a lead.

A bit too early making judgements whether Hunt will make it on the big stage.

How about the run in the second half! Probably the best individual run in the game for me.

Totally agree with you about the negative football. One wonders who was making those decisions for Hunt to kick to the line (with Alfie always hovering behind the line).

Yes, all year we won games on goal-line defence followed by attacking football, but second half was just bash and barge - and we don't have the forwards to win that one.

In the end, the Cowboys were the better team and their forwards dominated. Scott, Tamou, T'lolo were epic, and Jake Glanville only made me regret last year more than ever.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Great game the way 2 Qld sides like to battle it out. Playing unconventional like footy for us in the last 20 minutes did us in. Too safe just waiting for the shite to hit the fan.

Congrats JT and the Cowboys - good to see ya get one but we'll flog you next year:)

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Meh - I would much prefer we had been beaten like that than to not have been in the fight at all (40-0 I'm looking at you).

It was one of the all time finishes to a GF, but you can't be on the winning side of them every time.

So many 'could have' moments, but in retrospect the only thing that matters is that the team absolutely over-achieved this year.

How many people predicted the Broncos to either miss the 8 or finish last this year?

Maroon4life

Juniors
Meh - I would much prefer we had been beaten like that than to not have been in the fight at all (40-0 I'm looking at you).

It was one of the all time finishes to a GF, but you can't be on the winning side of them every time.

So many 'could have' moments, but in retrospect the only thing that matters is that the team absolutely over-achieved this year.

How many people predicted the Broncos to either miss the 8 or finish last this year?

After round 1 I had them missing the 8.

There were 4 crucial points that decided that game.

First, obviously Corey Oates comes off his wing to assist in tackling Morgan and fails to notice that Morgan had flick-passed the ball to Kyle Feldt. If Oates stays out and marks up on Feldt, more than likely no try and Broncos win.

The next crucial play is that Thurston misses the try conversion.

Hunt's knock-on and where he was on the field(ie right in front of the Broncos try line.)

The successful field goal.

Having said that; What High Drama it made for. With 10 seconds to go, the Broncos have it in the bag and nice person! It's anybody's game again. What a finish.

Absolutely shattering for the Broncos and those following them. An absolute miracle for the Cowboys. The unimaginable ending to regulation time couldn't have been scripted. Just f'ing incredible.

As for Wayne's comments about Golden Point wins in a Grand Final I'll say this:

Wayne, you've painted yourself into a corner with that comment and it was sour grapes. Don't be a sore loser. In future, if the Broncos win a Grand Final in extra time, I'll expect you to hand the Grand Final trophy back and say that you refuse to accept the win on principle and that you want a replay of the Grand Final next week. Anything less will make a mockery of your statement. Though we all know that you won't do that and that is why it was a really f**ked-up thing to say.

Broncos: hold your heads up high. You played a really great game and came withing a flea's hair of getting another GF.

Cowboys: Congratulations for fighting right up to the last second. Never saying 'Die'. You won that Grand Final fair and square. Well done.

All in all with two QLD teams playing, it was Queensland Rugby League which was the real winner along with the Cowboys. Well done QLD. Despite the chest beating by the NSW dopes after SOO Game 2, 2015 was QLD's year and it was the best year for QLD Rugby League ever. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts