What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final vs Cowboys Discussion + Voting

Dazzat

First Grade
Three of the top four teams were coached by either Wayne Bennett or those who served their apprenticeship under Mr Bennett.

The Ipswich Jets, who won the interstate championship, were coached by two ex-Broncos who were former players under Bennett.

Mal Meninga who has coached Queensland to amazing heights was also a player under Bennett, and later was mentored as a coach by Bennett.

Since Bennett assisted coached the Kiwis, they have won more games than Australia.

Bennett took our team from a non-finals team, a ramshackle group of half-arsed players, to the grand final in less than a year.

Sour grapes for a few comments after one of the most devastating losses in a grand final of all time, where a win was snatched from the a team in literally the 80th minute.

I think I'll cut him some slack.

Yeah.

typicalfan

Coach
Wayne is a smart guy. More people are talking about his rant than Ben Hunt right now. Obviously taking the heat off his men. Wayne was prepping for next year already with that presser.

Three of the top four teams were coached by either Wayne Bennett or those who served their apprenticeship under Mr Bennett.

The Ipswich Jets, who won the interstate championship, were coached by two ex-Broncos who were former players under Bennett.

Mal Meninga who has coached Queensland to amazing heights was also a player under Bennett, and later was mentored as a coach by Bennett.

Since Bennett assisted coached the Kiwis, they have won more games than Australia.

Bennett took our team from a non-finals team, a ramshackle group of half-arsed players, to the grand final in less than a year.

Sour grapes for a few comments after one of the most devastating losses in a grand final of all time, where a win was snatched from the a team in literally the 80th minute.

I think I'll cut him some slack.

Yeah.

I'm a major fan of the bloke. I'll concur with everything you said. The guy is a Wizard as a coach. However his comment about extra time and GFs was ill considered. Especially given that Wayne Bennett coached teams(plural) will be getting to GFs again in the future.

Rhyno

First Grade
you're a f**king idiot, at least make a troll account so you're not so easy to take the piss out of, supporting a club like Parraf**kingmatta :lol:

1.Gordon
6. Norman ( future Origin superstar)
7. Foran
9. Peats

Is the best spine in the nrl

Maroon4life

Juniors
I'm a major fan of the bloke. I'll concur with everything you said. The guy is a Wizard as a coach. However his comment about extra time and GFs was ill considered. Especially given that Wayne Bennett coached teams(plural) will be getting to GFs again in the future.

I agree with your first post. All said with too much emotion. I have seen Wayne happy after winning games through Golden Point so he is definitely able to enjoy and mourn the concept. Facing that presser would have been the last thing he wanted to do & he uncharacteristically vented, if it was Toovey/Bellamy/Hasler we wouldn't have batted an eye lid.

Maroon4life

Juniors
I'll also add that coming back next week for a rematch is a cop out, there needs to be a winner on the day, whether that is golden try for 10 minutes than leading into golden point if there is no try, who knows.

Dazzat

First Grade

Let's hope so RBM.

Facing the press is a job Bennett hates at the best of times, but after that loss, he must have been gutted.

All credit to the Cowboys though.

When I evaluate the pros and cons of a system like golden point, I go back to the beginning and ask, why?

When television is the driving force behind something, then ultimately I don't think it will be good for the game. Look a crowd numbers.

Our Channel Nine commentary team sometimes complain about crowd numbers, but let's face it, TV coverage is the reason less and less people are going to the game now - that and ticket prices. Take video reffing as well.

The more TV impose on the game, it isn't going to get any better.

League guru

Juniors
Let's hope so RBM.

Facing the press is a job Bennett hates at the best of times, but after that loss, he must have been gutted.

I don,t believe that Bennett does have a problem facing the press. He is only too happy to use them when he has an adgenda too promote.

Last edited:

chigurh

Can LU please update/remove the videos at the top of pages.

Seeing "Broncos confident Hodges will play" every time I log in is not helping me suppress the memories of last Sunday :lol:

Let's hope so RBM.

All credit to the Cowboys though.

When I evaluate the pros and cons of a system like golden point, I go back to the beginning and ask, why?

When television is the driving force behind something, then ultimately I don't think it will be good for the game. Look a crowd numbers.

Our Channel Nine commentary team sometimes complain about crowd numbers, but let's face it, TV coverage is the reason less and less people are going to the game now - that and ticket prices. Take video reffing as well.

The more TV impose on the game, it isn't going to get any better.

The number 1 problem in Aussie Rugby League at the moment is incompetent refereeing. I love watching the game but at the end of last year I was prepared to walk away forever due to disgust at refs who are utterly clueless. I have given up hope that things will improve.

League guru

Juniors
The number 1 problem in Aussie Rugby League at the moment is incompetent refereeing. I love watching the game but at the end of last year I was prepared to walk away forever due to disgust at refs who are utterly clueless. I have given up hope that things will improve.

I have to agree with you about the referees. It is one of the few games played where the rules mean nothing.
- uncontested scrums
- not playing the ball with your foot
- moving forward off the mark
- marker pushing the man playing the ball
- offside dawdlers in the ruck
- niggling facial massages and hand on the ball
- forward passes, the list goes on.
they seem obsessed with maintaining the speed of the game and minimising stoppages. maybe it's a TV thing. After all channel 9 runs the game.

I have to agree with you about the referees. It is one of the few games played where the rules mean nothing.
- uncontested scrums
- not playing the ball with your foot
- moving forward off the mark
- marker pushing the man playing the ball
- offside dawdlers in the ruck
- niggling facial massages and hand on the ball
- forward passes, the list goes on.
they seem obsessed with maintaining the speed of the game and minimising stoppages. maybe it's a TV thing. After all channel 9 runs the game.

What it really boils down to is that they have let things slide to the point where the above and many, many, many more infringements have been committed by the players for so many decades that now the players expect to get away with it. Therefore with the consent of the referees the rule book has been effectively bypassed in a way and it has become somewhat of a free for all.

It will be a very painful process taking a decade to undo, should they ever decide to undo the situation. As it stands, It appears that the League has no plan to rectify the situation. Rugby League as a game is the loser here. The fans are the secondary losers in this situation.

Green River Eel

Juniors
Looks like the Cowboys will always have one up against the broncos until the broncos beat them in a GF could take a very long time to get one up, and who knows, the cows might go on to make it 2-0...
The best OLD team will always be remembered as the Cowboys, must be a harsh realisation for Broncs fans. :)

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Looks like the Cowboys will always have one up against the broncos until the broncos beat them in a GF could take a very long time to get one up, and who knows, the cows might go on to make it 2-0...
The best OLD team will always be remembered as the Cowboys, must be a harsh realisation for Broncs fans. :)

Best OLD team indeed.

Nerd

Bench

6 premierships to Cows 1 :crazy:

gUt

Coach
Parra :lol:

As if anything Parra fans want to try to tell us has any relevance. What a complete basket case of a club. Their best player is a winger ffs