What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Finals We Didn't Get to See

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’d also add Brisbane vs Illawarra in 92
Glad someone has mentioned that..

I rate the Broncos in 1992 as one of the best teams in the modern era, but for whatever reason the Steelers had their measure that year & a GF between those two would have been awesome..

Would have meant 17 titles for St George Illawarra by now too...

Cogburn

Juniors
Glad someone has mentioned that..

I rate the Broncos in 1992 as one of the best teams in the modern era, but for whatever reason the Steelers had their measure that year & a GF between those two would have been awesome..

Would have meant 17 titles for St George Illawarra by now too...
Na St george-illawarra sox have only won one premiership.

One that was before my time but Manly/Norths in 96 stands out as another missed opportunity. If North Sydney were ever going to challenge for a title, it was '96 and Manly from 95-97 were one of the most dominant teams of the 90s. Manly still win, but it would have been nice to see Norths give it an honest crack.
I'm glad you mentioned '96.
I remember being excited about the the Prelim finals as there was a great possibility that either way it was going to be a local derby for the GF, Manly vs Cronulla, and St. George vs Norths.
I was hanging for a Sharks vs Dragons game but a Bears vs Sea Eagles would have been great too.
After a load of years of Brisbane and Canberra wins it was like a breath of fresh air.
Alas the two perrenial losers, Sharks and Bears, played their usual parts and choked.

BranVan3000

Coach
Fair points. The atmosphere at a Tigers/Eels/Dragons GF would have been immense.

Though I'd argue that Manly were a better side than Souths in 2013. They were a very good, seasoned side with class in key positions.

Also the 2013 GF is an underrated classic imo. Perhaps the best quality GF since 2003.
Yes the GF with my team was also the best/most underrated

mepelthwack

Juniors
A couple of times in the late 90s the North Sydney Bears narrowly missed out which may have saved them, who knows?

In 1999 wasn’t the Sharks the best team by a mile but upset by the Dragons a week out?

The most recent time in the early 20 teens when Warriors made the GF, it was so dull. Tigers really should of not choked to them and made it instead.

Diesel

Referee
Norths in 91 looked strong.

Norths vs Canberra/Penrith would’ve been a good game.

Norths knocking Brisbane out in 94 was one of my favourite finals games. It had a lot of emotion in that game.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
A couple of times in the late 90s the North Sydney Bears narrowly missed out which may have saved them, who knows?

In 1999 wasn’t the Sharks the best team by a mile but upset by the Dragons a week out?

Cronulla were minor premiers but only 2-4 points ahead of us. We both probably shouldve made the GF but choked it in the second half.

As for Norths 91 hurts them as they scored the same amount of tries as Penrith but Halligan had an off day with the boot. I wish his off day was in 98.

The Bears against Manly in 96 and 97 would've been a cracker.

Cronulla were minor premiers but only 2-4 points ahead of us. We both probably shouldve made the GF but choked it in the second half.

As for Norths 91 hurts them as they scored the same amount of tries as Penrith but Halligan had an off day with the boot. I wish his off day was in 98.

The Bears against Manly in 96 and 97 would've been a cracker.

Yeah, Halligan only kicked 1 from 5 in the Major Semi-Final between Penrith and Norths, whilst Greg Alexander kicked 4 from 5 for a 16-14 win to Penrith, even though Norths scored 3 tries to Penrith's 2. In the preliminary final Norths went down 30-14 to Canberra.

axl rose

Bench
Yeah, Halligan only kicked 1 from 5 in the Major Semi-Final between Penrith and Norths, whilst Greg Alexander kicked 4 from 5 for a 16-14 win to Penrith, even though Norths scored 3 tries to Penrith's 2. In the preliminary final Norths went down 30-14 to Canberra.
In 1997 finals Taylor kicked 2 from 5 vs Knights. Two of the better kickers there have ever been. Poor old Bears were just cursed.

Vic Mackey

Referee
In 1997 finals Taylor kicked 2 from 5 vs Knights. Two of the better kickers there have ever been. Poor old Bears were just cursed.

Wow I never realized all it needed was a decent bounce right at the end, Hall scores and the 91 GF has the Bears in it

Coleworld

Juniors
Poor North Sydney Bears, i felt like they were strong throughout the 90's, just really couldn't get over that hump into the GF. Norths vs Manly GF in 97 would have been epic, alas it still ended being a top 5 GF of all time.

As neutral, i would of loved to have seen a GF between the sides below.

Raiders vs Brisbane (90's), Brisbane vs Newcastle (98-00), Roosters vs Newcastle (02-03), Sharks vs Dragons (99) Dragons vs Tigers (10') Parramatta vs Tigers ('05) and of course Souths vs Easts (13-14)

Lambretta

First Grade
People have mentioned Norths v Manly in 97

That year could so easily have been the Roosters v Knights

We knocked Norths out in extra time and then Manly edged it in a drop goal kick off as the clock wound down on the Semi.

We were literally 30 seconds away from Joey v Freddie in that 97 GF. But f**king Craig f**king Field screwed it all up the merkin

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
remember watching a doco in the super league war and if it wasn't for a few weeks of horrendous weather the bears wouldn't have had a cross next to the their name for one of the criteria that went out due to construction being delayed and the merge cap could have been chucked to someone else.

Not sure if that is spot on but if it is then they were definitely cursed

Latest posts