What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grant Mayer Interview

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I was just listening to Grant Mayer being interviewed on the WT home site. I know he is a salesman but he was saying all the right things as far as I am concerned. He is clear on what will take this club forward. It was also interesting what he was saying about grounds, particularly Allianz and recognising supporters are looking for marquee signings.

gronkathon

First Grade
I am good with what he had to say.

I know the wrist slitters are out elsewhere on the interweb about the 2015 marquee thing. But reality is Mayer won't know where our financial situation is until mid year best case scenario. Last season was a unmitigated disaster for the club financially

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Fifita will be back on the market.....

Madunit, I'd love nothing more than to see Fifita return to the WT's while still at his peak. Money and lots of it can make anyone forget past indiscretions but do you think we have burnt Fifita forever?

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Ron's Mate, I hope Woods can get in Fifta's ear. Having Woods tied up for a few more years is great...getting Fifita back would be even better. Two guns props would be lovely.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Instead of spending huge $$$ on Fifita, we should be looking at some of the off-contract props at the Roosters.

DanOz

Juniors
Fifita would be worth every penny.. But if we don't get him, we need to sort out a quality back rower and 6

innsaneink

Referee
I am good with what he had to say.

I know the wrist slitters are out elsewhere on the interweb about the 2015 marquee thing. But reality is Mayer won't know where our financial situation is until mid year best case scenario. Last season was a unmitigated disaster for the club financially

Maybe Im just plain f**ken stupid....plenny say so...please explain how hes next years signing when it happened this year

Im missing something

gronkathon

First Grade
I believe it will be overtaken by another signing. However I would guess the extension kicks in in 2015 and that is why you could class it as such.

super_coach

First Grade
I get the feeling from the interview that the majority of what cap space we have available will be directed at the likes of Teddy and Nofo and any signings for 2015 would be low to mid range stuff like our usual targets.

The club is putting a lot of faith in its junior program and the talent that it has produced. Fingers crossed this works and we should have a good idea by mid season if we are on the right track

DanOz

Juniors
I get the feeling from the interview that the majority of what cap space we have available will be directed at the likes of Teddy and Nofo and any signings for 2015 would be low to mid range stuff like our usual targets.

The club is putting a lot of faith in its junior program and the talent that it has produced. Fingers crossed this works and we should have a good idea by mid season if we are on the right track

I am okay with it - just don't put them on 5 year deals like Lawrence.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Here is an article from SMH that covers some of Mayer's early career. My opinion is that he has been excellent for the Tigers so far. I was disgusted when I heard that some old Magpies dinosaurs abused him after the Cowboys game at Campbelltown.

Tigers and Eels bosses raise the steaks ahead of blockbuster

Adrian Proszenko
Published: April 19, 2014 - 6:00PM

At some point in the near future, Scott Seward and Grant Mayer will slip into the Hillside Hotel for a quiet meal and a drink, with the loser of Monday night's clash between Parramatta and Wests Tigers picking up the bill.

It will be one of many catch-ups between the pair which first started during their time together at Canterbury in 1999. Back then, Mayer, now the CEO of the Tigers, and Seward, his Eels counterpart, would head to Cafe D'or on Burwood to dissect life as employees of 'The Family Club'.

During their stints at Belmore they experienced the highs, including a premiership in 2004. But there were also the lowest of lows. The salary cap scandal. The Oasis debacle. Coffs Harbour.

It was during those rollercoaster days that a great bond was formed. Those setbacks also provided a great grounding to take the helm of clubs which face challenges of their own, but are on the up after finishing in the bottom two spots last year.

"Both of us could write a fair book on our days at Canterbury, very much so," said Seward, who holds an engineering degree.

"You learn from those experiences. I'll never forget the look on the faces of our fans, members and staff when those points were taken off. I wanted to make sure that if I ever got the opportunity [as CEO], I didn't want any members or fans to go through that.

"It showed what football clubs mean to people and the responsibility that administrators have to members and fans."

Another member of the Bulldogs office in those days was Todd Greenberg, who later became the club's CEO before taking on his executive role at Rugby League Central.

"We spent some good and bad times together," Mayer said.

"What it does is give you a stronger bond when you share the highs and the lows that sport can bring.

"Who would have thought that out of one little group of Bulldogs employees that three would become CEOs in the NRL?"

For Seward and Mayer, they have taken divergent paths to the top job but there have also been some parallels.

Both did stints at AFL clubs, Mayer with GWS and Seward with the Western Bulldogs. They leant on each other for advice then and remain close to this day.

"He's come from a fan's perspective to rise to one of the top sporting jobs in the game," Mayer said.

"He's the sort of person who would have had Bulldogs posters on his wall.

"Scott came to us [in 1999] when we needed some support staff and his first foray into the Bulldogs was as a receptionist.

"It was never his long-term goal but he saw an opportunity, grabbed it with both hands and started helping out in a merchandising and membership capability.

"We knew early on he had the potential to be much more than a receptionist. Before you know it he was running the Bulldogs merchandising in its entirety."

The friendship will be put aside for 80 minutes on Monday when two heartland teams aim to continue their resurgence. The stakes will be steaks at the Hillside Hotel.

"I look forward to eating, he can have a wine and I'll have a beer," Seward said.

"It will be his shout."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...eaks-ahead-of-blockbuster-20140419-zqwqp.html