What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grant Mayer quits Manly

Noa

First Grade
AFL radio was going ga-ga over it down here.

Gawd it was painful to listen too.

elbusto

Coach
Just taken from Fox Sports - puts a bit of perspective round Mayer?

Super 14

Queensland Reds appoint AFL man Jim Carmichael as chief executive

October 16, 2009
The Queensland Rugby Union have filled their leadership trifecta by appointing Jim Carmichael as chief executive.
Recruited from the AFL, Carmichael joins new coach Ewen McKenzie and QRU chairman Rod McCall as recent appointments to guide the fortunes of the Reds in the Super 14.

Currently seeing out his time as the head of new business and enterprise at the AFL, Carmichael replaces outgoing chief executive Ken Freer.

The 49-year-old will start in the role on November 2 while Freer, who announced his resignation three months ago, will finish his tenure immediately.

Carmichael admitted he had not grown up with rugby but was looking forward to learning more about the game.

"Coming from a rival sport I did spend a lot of time studying rugby and found much to admire in the ethos and tradition, along with the obvious passion of the rugby family for the sport they love," he said.

McCall believed Carmichael's skills set him apart from a quality field for the job.

"Jim stood out for us because he has a unique blend of outstanding business skills as well as a comprehensive understanding of how top level sport operates," he said.

elbusto

Coach
Waldron went from AFL to League, Mayer went from League to AFL and Carmichael goes from AFL to Union. These guys are paid administrators and I think we will see more such inter code movement.

The fact the AFL makes such a hullabaloo about Mayer is a further indication just how desperate they are for media attention for any reason.

And that is a further sign of their nervous arrogance in my view.

MsStorm

Bench
So Demittruou basically signs Grant Meyer, then goes to a press conference and says I have never heard of the bloke did he used to date Jennifer Anniston, etc etc...

Im Confused...

According to SEN, Mayer has been in talks with Union and afl for months now. AFL managed to snare him.

Ausguy

Coach
What is the name, home ground, mascot and colours of this new team??

am i the only person who thinks it is going to fail ?

When is it set to play in the AFL?

Goddo

Bench
Manly will be okay in the short term, but if I were a Manly fan, I would be suspecious of the property developers ofloading Manly to the Sunshine Coast.

I can see them getting a deal with the QLD Gov to build a Leagues club and upgrade the stadium at Kawana Waters for very cheap, then developing/selling off Manly's Sydney assets at a huge profit, pocketing the profit and leaving the club.

I really think that this is what Delmage's plan is, and unless there is some uproar at the club, they will keep inching towards that end. Especially if the North Sydney/Central Coast Bears come back, as that makes Manly even more fringe.

Clubs with niche markets and low apeal to people outside their area will have some big problems in future (examples being Manly and Cronulla). The writing has been on the wall since Wests shifted to Campbelltown and Newtown got the boot, expansion outside Sydney, Superleague, Criteria, Mergers. They have managed in their own ways to continue, but the nature of club sport these days will catch up with them.

Last edited:

ona2001

Juniors
Manly, Cronulla and to an extent Penrith are all hampered for support by Sydney's mercurial layout and rubbish transport system. Unfortunately they're going to have to make a choice between playing park football where they are or moving to stay relevant to a national competition and reap the rewards of that.

The figure the NRL want to look at hardest though is TV ratings and pay TV takeup per team supported. That's the figure that really shows a club's worth to the game.

Doug2234

First Grade
Mayer has got it all worked out.

He is going to go over to Perth, do a CEO job for 2 years - just long enough to make some solid business contacts and earn himself a reputation, then leave and become CEO of the WA Reds and use his business contacts for financial assistance.

Ausguy

Coach

He is going to go over to Perth, do a CEO job for 2 years - just long enough to make some solid business contacts and earn himself a reputation, then leave and become CEO of the WA Reds and use his business contacts for financial assistance.

Ah Doug..... its a Western Sydney AFL franchise not WA :sarcasm:

Perth Red

Post Whore

I wish!