What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grant, McKendry more fictions of previous administration

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Am I missing something here? Is Masoe seriously considering a move back here or is it more wishful thinking?

I would love the big cuddly Sully from Monsters Inc lookalike back at Penrith.

Wishful thinking, unfortunately. He is contracted to the end of 2015 in England, and who knows (a) what form he'll be in when that ends, (b) where he'll want to go, and (c) whether we will be able to fit him in.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Someone posted on here before the comp started this year that Tim hadn't had a particularly good preseason. Being told he is free to look elsewhere probably has something to do with that. How long before McKendry goes?

betcats

Referee
Yeah very good interview. Agree with what Tim said, this is the best thing for the club and for Tim, all the best to him.

franklin2323

Immortal
Someone posted on here before the comp started this year that Tim hadn't had a particularly good preseason. Being told he is free to look elsewhere probably has something to do with that. How long before McKendry goes?

The injuries didn't help but attitude had to be down given how passionate he speaks of the club

maple_69

Bench
Sounds similar to the Ben Ross scenario from a while back. Both guys will be lifelong fans of the team but it wasn't going to work out. Wouldnt mind him coming back down the track. I have a feeling in 3 years we won't be big in tye player market given ohr junior replacement plan should be in full effect..

If Grant plays every match, he will have 131 clocked up by the end of Round 26. I honestly thought he was the most likely to do it.

McKendry is 9 matches from 100 appearances, but given the cloudiness of his future, don't bank on it.

Simmons (67) and Plum (60) are next in the current ranks, but that ain't gonna happen.

There are a cluster of players around the 30 match mark, such as Mansour, Docker, Wallace, Whare and Segeyaro. And the rest, such as the 2014 recruits aren't worth mentioning.

You forgot one player.
Nathan Smith has played the most games for Penrith out of the current squad of players. Smith has 120 games in Penrith colours.
I don't expect him to add much more though.

roofromoz

First Grade
You forgot one player.
Nathan Smith has played the most games for Penrith out of the current squad of players. Smith has 120 games in Penrith colours.
I don't expect him to add much more though.

Yep, a blind spot there! Must admit I was working off a 2014 player list originally, so that would explain it.

Kilkenny

Coach
I thought Sam when he came back from injury towards the back end of last season was terrific and he would have a great 2014. Not so at this stage but it is still early.

I can understand the club shopping him to other clubs if he is on ridiculous money. I don't profess to know what he is on.

McKendry may stay now.
New NRL rules scupper Knights’ 11th-hour plans to sign Penrith prop Sam McKendry
THE NRL’s new veteran player allowance has already had an impact, destroying Newcastle’s plans of signing Penrith prop Sam McKendry at the 11th-hour this week.
In a fascinating subplot to Sunday’s clash between the two teams at Hunter Stadium, the Panthers were preparing to release McKendry from the final two years of his contract to take-up an offer from the Knights.
The Daily Telegraph can also reveal Canberra have been made aware of Joel Thompson’s desire to return home, just six months after joining St George Illawarra.
Negotiations surrounding McKendry were cruising toward completion until Wednesday, when the NRL announced the qualification for veteran allowance would be reduced from eight to six years. The allowance itself will also be raised from $200,000 to $250,000 next season, and $300,000 in 2016.The changes had a marked effect on McKendry’s worth to Penrith’s salary cap. Not only does McKendry now qualify for the allowance, having made his Panthers debut in 2008, the Kiwi international is also the only current player who has spent six unbroken years at the foot of the mountains.
That means he’s now worth $250,000 less under Penrith’s salary cap, thanks to the new allowance rules.
Had Penrith released McKendry they would not have been able to claim the exemption, putting the club at a significant disadvantage in the market place.
Panthers officials realised the impact McKendry’s departure and immediately severed talks to release him to Newcastle. General manager Phil Moss did not return calls on Friday night.
Both McKendry and front row partner Tim Grant were given permission to leave early in January, with the latter signing a four-year deal with South Sydney last month.
Both players were on back-ended deals that escalated their value in accordance with salary cap increases over the next two years. It’s believed McKendry’s salary stood to reach $550,000, but the new allowance regime means that almost half that amount will now be salary cap exempt.

The McKendry backflip came as a devastating blow for the Knights, who have endured a run of awful luck this year. The imprisonment of front row recruit Russell Packer in January prompted their hunt for a new prop, and there’s also been Alex McKinnon’s career-ending injury.
With a rapidly ageing forward roster on their hands, Newcastle saw 24-year-old McKendry as a long-term solution. They also extended a handsome offer to Roosters prop Sam Moa, who agreed to remain at Bondi Junction for a further two years on Thursday afternoon.
With the front row market drying up, Newcastle have turned its sights on out-of-favour Broncos prop Ben Hannant. The Maroons bookend has been dropped to QLD Cup this weekend, but sources close to Hannant maintain the demotion is related to a personality clash with Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rop-sam-mckendry/story-fni3gf5j-1226912282660

Kilkenny

Coach
Thought Sam stood up today. More like the sort of form he is capable off.

People tend to forget he is still young by first rower standards and while not worth $500K a season he will offer great value given the discounts now available to us under the new cap rules.

His best is still ahead of him.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I though he went very well today. I hope he kicks on from here. He's capable of being a huge player for us over the next few years.

Latest posts