What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grant, McKendry more fictions of previous administration

abpanther

Staff member
Why do people keep offering the reasoning that Souths and others offered a certain amount so we should've too?

I don't care what other teams offered, you establish a value and you stick with it

Randy81

Juniors
With respect Randy, "childcare centre" is a gross over simplification of team sport. if it was as simple as just getting the best players together, because they would knuckle down and manage themselves, then managers/coaches would have no impact on results. Yet somehow, teams with the same players suddenly change for the better or worse as soon as a new manager comes on board. You may well be a person who produces what is required regardless of who manages you, but you are in the minority. Most teams go to pot if the manager is poor and that is why massive amounts of money are spent changing managers and coaches. It is why managers get sacked 5 games into the season (Matt Elliot), or why clubs sack two managers in the same season (Fulham, google it). It is why in the EPL last year, there were only three managers out of 20 who had been at their clubs longer than 3 years.

Probably a bad choice of wording on my part. it was more a comment regarding how chilidish the dynamics of late have become.

Yes I agree managers play a big part in a team sport, however it is often used as an excuse for the players. There has to be accountability on both parts.

Randy81

Juniors
. Yet stats wise was one of the better performers.

Second to Kite in hitups & metres.
Only starting forward not to miss a tackle.
No one in the team made a linebreak.
No starting forward made an offload.
The only starting forward to not miss a tackle.
No handling errors.

So after his distrupted start seems to be going the right way. That's what people se in Grant.

Big emphasis on not missing a tackle there lol.
Also i don't know how not making a linebreak or an offload is accredited as a good stat- just because "no one" else did doesn't make it a good thing

franklin2323

Immortal
Why do people keep offering the reasoning that Souths and others offered a certain amount so we should've too?

Nope of course not but we can't say it's not worth the money if he's getting that. He wasn't worth the money for us & not being worth the money is too different things

darkbloom

Juniors
Probably a bad choice of wording on my part. it was more a comment regarding how chilidish the dynamics of late have become.

Yes I agree managers play a big part in a team sport, however it is often used as an excuse for the players. There has to be accountability on both parts.

How long have these antics been on show, in your opinion? And are there any common factors that might point to those accountable?

franklin2323

Immortal
Big emphasis on not missing a tackle there lol.
Also i don't know how not making a linebreak or an offload is accredited as a good stat- just because "no one" else did doesn't make it a good thing

I think our whole pack is a disgrace too basic & no impact. ALL of them yet Grant gets the shit. It's clear we don't want the offloading type of forward.

Not a good thing but no one else does what he can't do either. So he's lack of skills shouldn't put him behind others that can't do it either.

Randy81

Juniors
I think our whole pack is a disgrace too basic & no impact. ALL of them yet Grant gets the shit. It's clear we don't want the offloading type of forward.

Not a good thing but no one else does what he can't do either. So he's lack of skills shouldn't put him behind others that can't do it either.

Hence why I think we are bringing in someone who can.

MrAnonymous

Bench

I wouldn't say it is a disgrace. Only time we get dominated is when Kingston is on with Seg. We have won most the forward battles this year, Its just unbalanced to many similar players.. Easily fixed add Robinson and Cartwright, Unlikely to happen though.

The only problem we have is when we get in the opposition 20. It looks like no merkin has a clue what they are doing. We sought that out we are a top 4 side imo.

Pomoz

Bench

Fair enough, I get your point. To be fair, we don't know that Tim is being childish. It may be as simple as he really wants to maximise his earnings (especially after seeing Alex McKinnon's career end). South's offer the best deal and have a reasonable chance of winning a premiership. His getting dropped may be more to do with continually giving away penalties, a habit he acquired under Elliot and has carried on.

I agree with Franklin that he is no worse than any other player in regards to performance but it is all down to how much he has cost. Average is OK at $250K but not at $600K (if reports are correct).

As for comparing him to Clinton, he has never played as well as Clinton did in 2003 and 2004. Clinton always played with heart and passion even if he dropped the ball. I wish Tim showed a similar level of aggression.

darkbloom

Juniors
Fair enough, I get your point. To be fair, we don't know that Tim is being childish. It may be as simple as he really wants to maximise his earnings (especially after seeing Alex McKinnon's career end). South's offer the best deal and have a reasonable chance of winning a premiership. His getting dropped may be more to do with continually giving away penalties, a habit he acquired under Elliot and has carried on.

I agree with Franklin that he is no worse than any other player in regards to performance but it is all down to how much he has cost. Average is OK at $250K but not at $600K (if reports are correct).

As for comparing him to Clinton, he has never played as well as Clinton did in 2003 and 2004. Clinton always played with heart and passion even if he dropped the ball. I wish Tim showed a similar level of aggression.

Well said.

franklin2323

Immortal
Fair enough, I get your point. To be fair, we don't know that Tim is being childish. It may be as simple as he really wants to maximise his earnings (especially after seeing Alex McKinnon's career end).
Yeah we are talking a deal years in with 2 more left. Assume he signed a deal worth $2.5m over 5 years. Most of that would go into property & that knowing he will earn far less in retirement.

franklin2323

Immortal
Hence why I think we are bringing in someone who can.

Aside from Grant & McKendry the rest of the team Cleary signed. Including our 1 dimensional forward pack. So I don't hold much hope anyone different will come in. Push Manu forward & bring Masoe back will do.

murraymob

Coach
why does everyone want manu pushed forward he is getting about 40 meters a games spends all game standing in the centers and does very little defence .I will take any forward in the front row over manu

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
why does everyone want manu pushed forward he is getting about 40 meters a games spends all game standing in the centers and does very little defence .I will take any forward in the front row over manu

I think I wrote earlier, I'm okay with it if it fast-tracks Peachey/Robinson/Cartwright into the side, but I'll be pissed off if he is moved there just so we can continue with Taylor-Brown-Docker.

Kite-Plum-Latimore-McKendry for next season is pretty bad. Assuming we are getting someone else in but losing McKendry:

Starting Prop-Kite-Plum-Latimore-Manu.....still looks dodgy depending on who the new prop is.

Big Mick

Referee
You writing off Sam Anderson and Reagan Campbell-Gillard off so early?

RCG is going to be a great player and by next year will have had a full year in NSW Cup with some taste of FG.

I agree with Pomoz RE: Grant - Get what you can, where you can. I'll never begrudge a player getting his money.

End of the day everyone cries loyalty when a player wants to go but clubs rarely show loyalty to players these days anyway.

So what's the point? Get yours....screw everyone else.

franklin2323

Immortal
RCG looks good but won't be a regular next year a few games for sure. Smith looks even better but needs even longer.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Kite-Plum-Latimore-McKendry for next season is pretty bad. Assuming we are getting someone else in but losing McKendry:

Starting Prop-Kite-Plum-Latimore-Manu.....still looks dodgy depending on who the new prop is.

Is it that much worse than Brent Kite, Joe Galavao, Vic Mauro and George Rose or Jesse Bromwich, Bryan Norrie, Jaiman Lowe and Richie Fa'aoso. These rotations won comps.