What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grant Millington - How do we think he went

shintaro

Juniors
Not so.

Both millers and I both gave this guy inverse points in the 3,2,1 thread.

He didn't do much wrong but he certainly didn't do a lot to stand out. His tackling technique looked sound and he was willing but his claim to fame is his running/offloading game and I saw nothing resembling either of those skills. As I said. He looked over rawed and gunshy. Needs another half dozen/dozen games to get to the first level of the NRL.

He had 1 quality offload in the first half and tackled well and took the ball up in the middle of the field. In terrible conditions in his first top grade game I think he did remarkably well. He didn't look overawed to me. The new boy in the team is not going to come in and take over in his first game. He should feel well satisfied with his efforts.

I would be interested to know if you attended the game ?

lol, locked in. I'd have him ahead of Cooper, that's all. That said at full strength neither he, nor Cooper nor Steppa would be anywhere near our first grade side. But season ending injuries to Wombat and Thommo's retirement has forced us to scrape the barrel.

At full strength this year (without Thommo) our backrow would be

11. Ando/Williams
12. Gallen
13. Bird

15. Ando/Williams

Next year it will be

11. Ando/Williams
12. Tupou
13. Gallen

15. Ando/Williams

That is with Bird at 5/8. If he's playing in the pack, even less of a reason to keep Cooper.

And yes I know you need depth, but if we already have 5 high class backrowers in our top 25, should we need anymore I'd prefer the spot taken by a youngster with a chance to develop.

Well said inferno, with 5 high class backrowers, if the club cannot find someone to help cover a injury we are struggling, but with options of Millington/Bosden/Grubb i would think one of them would step up

Inferno

Coach
In retrospect though that could come back to haunt us. Hell at times we might be missing Tupou, Gallen, Bird and Ando for international duty.

At stages next year we will probably be missing all 3 at least, meaning we will need good depth in a position we are already very strong in.

The bane of having a position very well covered I suppose.

On a side not, has there ever been a time where 1 club has supplied all 3 backrowers at a representative level?

I'd say perhaps the Broncs at Origin time might be up there. But how about for Australia?

He was only given 35 minutes. Didn't stand out for having a shocker. His tackling was good, running metres pretty ordinary. Almost up there with Ando the magnificent! Snowden only made three tackles in his time on the field, get involved mate!

Inferno

Coach
*bump

Keeps getting better and better young Millington. He is basically everything we were waiting for Ciraldo to be!

carinashark

First Grade
Totaly agree Millington and Snowden are the guys of the future here at Sharks. They are ready, as Doug was a few years ago and so far advanced on Ciraldo. Shift Williams back out to center and sell Simmo.

Snorkleburger

Juniors
Totaly agree Millington and Snowden are the guys of the future here at Sharks. They are ready, as Doug was a few years ago and so far advanced on Ciraldo. Shift Williams back out to center and sell Simmo.
who would buy Simmo?? We would have to give him away with the freebie steak knives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sarcasm:

Inferno

Coach
Simmo is fine on the wing, that's where he was when he scored 22 trys in a season not too long ago. At this rate we'll be lucky if any of our backs get half that amount!

Master Baiter

Juniors
I think the Mcgoldrick issue had perpetuated enough now don't you think Sam Shark? If you don't remember what I wrote, then do a search rather than perpetuate lies like Dragon Slayer & Snoop.
I only ever highlighted McGoldricks talents & thought he deserved a chance.
My biggest gripe is that we afforded Paris another 40 games since mcgoldrick left & yet he is no better or no worse "& deserved the same shot" as others in the team.
I will admit that I was a Dumas fan. To this day he is the one who has made the most spectacualr first grade debut since preston. He single handedly tore brisbane to shreds.
I am undecided on Cooper, but at least I am maing my judgement on the games I have seen him play.
Unlike the Snoop twig who thinks he knows footballers because he waves to them & therefore he doesnt need to watch players to forge an opinion.

at the risk of been torn limb from limb i too was also a mcgoldrick fan as well as reick and franze. also i thought dumas did show alot of promise. i like what i see from milo, not sure where he will fit in next year though.

Last edited:

fatshark

Bench
Simmo is fine on the wing, that's where he was when he scored 22 trys in a season not too long ago. At this rate we'll be lucky if any of our backs get half that amount!

Sharks are having huge problems in defence out wide.
A change is needed.
Millington shows some glimpses and has a go.

cb4

First Grade
good young player, we somehow always come up with finding a nice forawrd....