What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Britain and England squads named

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Question, has Sinfield ever played against Australia or New Zealand? I saw him play a few games for Leeds he's a good player, I didnt see him in the Ashes or the Tri Nations last year.

JasonE

Bench
Phoney MX said:
What a sh*t squad no Cooke, Calderwood, Yeaman, Bailey, McGuire, Sykes, Crabtree and no second established hooker (unless Burrow can play there). I honestly don't know who is worse anymore Bennett or Noble.

Harris/Deacon is a laughable combo to put up against Lockyer/Johns.

Danny Mc is out injured, he's having a groin operation

bartman

Immortal
PARRA_FAN said:
Question, has Sinfield ever played against Australia or New Zealand? I saw him play a few games for Leeds he's a good player, I didnt see him in the Ashes or the Tri Nations last year.
He was not picked in the squad last year, but I believe he had represented before that.

I don't think this squad is laughable at all. Yes, there are some players missing through injury or surgery, same as was with New Zealand. A lot of the people laughing at this squad are the same people that were laughing at New Zealand's team before game one.... anyone still thinking Australia is a dead-set certainty in this Tri-Nations is having themselves on.

And just quietly, by the time the games are on v GB, I don't think Australia's halves will still be Lockyer-Johns... especially if they don't click together in the first half this week.

Charge

Juniors
Phoney MX said:
What a sh*t squad no Cooke, Calderwood, Yeaman, Bailey, McGuire, Sykes, Crabtree and no second established hooker (unless Burrow can play there). I honestly don't know who is worse anymore Bennett or Noble.

Harris/Deacon is a laughable combo to put up against Lockyer/Johns.

Noble is worse - the England squad looks stronger than the GB squad.

SFW

Juniors
Here's my take on the squad named, posted on RLFans yesterday:

Rob Burrow - I don't believe the hype about him and I certainly don't have confidence in him starting at 7 for us. Should compete with Higham for an 'impact' bench spot, I wouldn't have picked him though.

Paul Deacon - Gets about his business effectively enough but we need more than that at this level. In Long and McGuire's absence I think Thorman is a more realistic alternative than the above 2.

Brian Carney - A shoe-in in spite of his patchy season, he wasn't up to much in 2004 either but he still produced the goods for GB.

Keiron Cunningham - Shoe in.

Nick Fozzard - Others have been better than him (would have gone with Ward personally) but I can't say I'm overly upset at his inclusion. He's a tough character and he'll front up.

Gareth Ellis - Taken a lot of flak on this thread but defensively he is top class and his versatility is an asset. I'd give him a bench spot.

Stuart Fielden - Shoe in.

Lee Gilmour - Has always performed at this level in a variety of positions, solid and consistent and he's knocking on the door for a starting shirt.

Martin Gleeson - Shoe in.

Iestyn Harris - He's been superb from what little I've seen of him in 2005. He looks a step ahead of most other UK halves with ball in hand and I think he could be worth a run at 7 with Sinfield outside him.

Richard Horne - I'm a big fan and he provides options all across the backline and at hooker at a push. Deserves an opportunity at this level.

Mickey Higham - He impressed me on GB debut last year and he has played pretty well since he came back into the Saints side, but his selection is questionable. I'd have thought Godwin might have been in with a shout for this position.

Paul Johnson - Had a solid season all across the park and is another who has always performed well at this level. Could be a bolter in the back row.

Jamie Thackray - Fully deserved after a superb season, he'll be a big asset from the bench.

Adrian Morley - patchy form since he donned the Red, Amber and Black but he was magnificent in the GF and more often than not he performs on the big stage. Shoe in.

Jamie Peacock - Shoe in, he's been phenomenal in the playoffs and he's a big game player.

Leon Pryce - Has played himself into one of the wing spots IMO. Big, quick, agile, he's got all the attributes and that famous indiscipline of his seems to have been tempered over the last 3 months.

Gareth Raynor - Good player but you have to wonder why he has a place over Calderwood.

Keith Senior - Fitness permitting, a shoe in.

Kevin Sinfield - Fully deserved after a superb season as Leeds' main pivot. I have every confidence in him to do a good job, but only if he plays at 6.

Chev Walker - He's a talented player but I don't agree with how he was used last time out. Cover for the centres in all probability.

Paul Wellens - Shoe in.

Stephen Wild - I really have tried to think logically about this decision and I'm at a loss. I'll give most people a chance but apart from a lively start to his 1st grade career he's done absolutely nothing of any kind to justify this. I was baffled when he got picked last year but I'm typing these words and shaking my head in utter disbelief that we have to even discuss his inclusion.

Jon Wilkin - Another which i simply cannot understand, he's been shoved around the park at Saints and although he's never been particularly poor, he's never done enough to make a spot his own on a regular basis. I expect he'll take on Karl Pratt's role of being able to fit in a few positions in an injury crisis.

From that squad my curent line u would be something like:

Wellens
Carney
Gleeson
Senior
Pryce
Sinfield
Harris
Fielden
Cunningham
Morley
Gilmour
Peacock
Ellis

Higham/Horne
Johnson
Thackray
Fozzard

Ari Gold

Bench
the thing i don't like about the GB team this year, is that they have NO matchwinners in their team... last year they had long and mcguire, this year deacon and harris?

Wellens
Carney
Gleeson
Senior
Pryce
Sinfield
Horne
Fielden
Cunningham
Morley
Gilmour
Peacock
Ellis

Burrow
Johnson
Thackray
Wilkin

i guess it's not bad... it all depends on how the forwards go

Bailey should have been there, Calderwood should have been there, and what about Pat richards? Don't they realise that he aligned himself with Ireland?

anjado

Juniors
i think Great Britain are better off without Long
he has shown time and time again that he doesent perform at this level
its a shame McGuire is injured
but i think they need to pick a half back who actually has a kicking game
which is one of the main reasons they got flogged in the final
they need to pick Horne or Sinfield
Deacon would of been a good option if Mcguire was there
so Deacon could organise and McGuire provide the spark
i think Great Britain have a great forward pack
they just lack a bit in the backline
Especially at fullback also i think Wellens is a good player
but he is so slow and offers nothing in attack
you look at every fullback in the NRL and they are all quick
and great attacking players
i actually think Horne might make a good fullback or Price
they need a bit more spark from that position
rather then just solidness
and if one of those 2 were fullback it would give an extra ball playing option
im happy that Thackary was included he has been outstanding
in every game ive seen Hull in this season
i think Burrow has to be on the bench to rotate with Cunningham
and maybe Johnson or Gilmour and another prop
im shocked Calderwood isnt there he scores lots of tries
and has plenty of speed and gives the team a better look in attack
i hope Great Britain do well in this series
because its the first time ever without Farrell and Long and Sculthorpe
so i hope there young players step up to the plate

Ari Gold

Bench
anjado said:
i think Great Britain are better off without Long
he has shown time and time again that he doesent perform at this level
its a shame McGuire is injured
but i think they need to pick a half back who actually has a kicking game
which is one of the main reasons they got flogged in the final
they need to pick Horne or Sinfield
Deacon would of been a good option if Mcguire was there
so Deacon could organise and McGuire provide the spark
i think Great Britain have a great forward pack
they just lack a bit in the backline
Especially at fullback also i think Wellens is a good player
but he is so slow and offers nothing in attack
you look at every fullback in the NRL and they are all quick
and great attacking players
i actually think Horne might make a good fullback or Price
they need a bit more spark from that position
rather then just solidness
and if one of those 2 were fullback it would give an extra ball playing option
im happy that Thackary was included he has been outstanding
in every game ive seen Hull in this season
i think Burrow has to be on the bench to rotate with Cunningham
and maybe Johnson or Gilmour and another prop
im shocked Calderwood isnt there he scores lots of tries
and has plenty of speed and gives the team a better look in attack
i hope Great Britain do well in this series
because its the first time ever without Farrell and Long and Sculthorpe
so i hope there young players step up to the plate

Ever heard of commas and full stops lol?