What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

great dragon tries

gregstar

Referee
thinking of hymie's great effort, recall some of the dragon's tries that really stand out in your memory.

individual

team

STG 002

First Grade
My hero Ricky Walford at Kogarah vs Western Suburbs Magpies in 1989 or 1990 perhaps.

Commentary from Graeme Hughes goes something like this...

"Potter feeds the scrum 5 metres out from his own try line, gives it off to Wade, who passes dangerously to Beattie but they get away with it, now Walford, Walford stepping beautifully, Walford, Farrar last man.
Ricky Walford might've fumbled a few balls in the first half, they're going to go 90 metres under the posts. Oh they're all on the feet here at Kogarah"

Still gives me tingles. I still have that replay on VCR and watch it every so often. We were down 18 nill at half time and eventually won 20-18.

Anyone else remember that one?
Ricky Walford - my idol thus my name too and number plate.

Godz Illa

Coach
Individual-wise the usual suspects: Gasnier (that Dogs try in 2006, a couple against the Tigers in 2006, one against the Roosters in 2005 at WIN), Blacklock (99 GF, Tigers 2001) and Mundine (96 prelim v Norths, 99 prelim v Cronulla)... but in honour of Benny Creagh I've gotta go with a forward...

Wayne Bartrim v Canberra 1996 finals series. From dummy half, wrong-footed the defence, skipped through the hole, massive side-step on the fullback, out-paced the covering winger to score.

STG 002

First Grade
Individual-wise the usual suspects: Gasnier (that Dogs try in 2006, a couple against the Tigers in 2006, one against the Roosters in 2005 at WIN), Blacklock (99 GF, Tigers 2001) and Mundine (96 prelim v Norths, 99 prelim v Cronulla)... but in honour of Benny Creagh I've gotta go with a forward...

Wayne Bartrim v Canberra 1996 finals series. From dummy half, wrong-footed the defence, skipped through the hole, massive side-step on the fullback, out-paced the covering winger to score.

some great games and memories there. I was at all of those games. the 96 trilogy was one of the greatest few weeks of my life. brunker, bell, zisti, raper, a finished up mark coyne. choc carried us.

Cooper-Man

Bench
Blacklock vs tigers when he chipped and chased then re gathered and won the game for us. (still didnt get picked for SOO that night)

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Tingha vs Tigpies 2001 "Roooooom service bounce"
Tingha 1999 GF
Tallis vs Warriors at Mt Smart 1995
Bartrim vs Raiders 1996 semi

gregstar

Referee
My hero Ricky Walford at Kogarah vs Western Suburbs Magpies in 1989 or 1990 perhaps.

"Potter feeds the scrum 5 metres out from his own try line, gives it off to Wade, who passes dangerously to Beattie but they get away with it, now Walford, Walford stepping beautifully, Walford, Farrar last man.
Ricky Walford might've fumbled a few balls in the first half, they're going to go 90 metres under the posts. Oh they're all on the feet here at Kogarah"

Still gives me tingles. I still have that replay on VCR and watch it every so often. We were down 18 nill at half time and eventually won 20-18.

yep!

it was actually 1991.

it was a quick spread on our tryline.

good comeback win against a wests side containing a sh*tload of canterbury players who wok had previously coached.

boxa777

Coach

My dad took me to that game as a youngster. The only memories I have of that game was that Walford try. Unfortunately was too young to start the taping back then but I remember the try being scored away from the scoreboard end. I think it was 1990 or 91.

He's my favourite of all time also, closely followed by Tingha.

Tingha brought smiles to a lot of faces over the years and it's hard to single out one of his tries. Always enjoyed the try package that he and Choc put together against the Raiders at Kogarah in 99. The flips were everywhere. Great day.

Last edited:

silverex

Bench
I don't know how you guys remember all that stuff. I'm impressed. :D

You must have got great marks at school with such good memories!

I have trouble remembering last season. :lol:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Anything by Ricky Walford and Nathan Blacklock. Both are my equal favourite players and genuine nice guys.

morris_magic

Juniors
brett morris match winner against the broncos in 06, not the best try but it was classic, and then the kick by aaron gorrell that looked like going out.

BigNormProvan

Juniors

That was a fully blown snorter!! Got the pill in front of the scoreboard and went the distance to the sthn end. Yep, a fully blown snorter. 'They're all on their feet here at Kogarah' summed it to a tee. If I recall correctly Noely Goldthorpe was playing lock that day for Wests.

Another Walford ball-tearer was him going the distance against the Sharks at Jubilee. He blew ET away in a long distance race, possibly the same season. I remember sitting on the hill when he slipped over for 4 (was it 4??) against the dirty, filthy, sweatty Dog's who had led 2-0 before Ricky lifted the bar. I think we won 36-2.

Hail King Walford:D

Big Norm

BigNormProvan

Juniors
Mundine screaming thru a non-existant gap from a Bartrim short ball (I think it was Bartrim) against the Bears in the '96 Prelim Final. I think Rabbit's yell's 'Mundines away and I don't think the Bears will catch him'. That was a seriously 'clutch' try, we were under the pump at that point against an opposition that was meant to pump us. Probably the best game live I've ever seen. The Dragon Army was thunderous that afternoon. Best rendition of 'When the Saints' just before the fulltime hooter went, ever. And Noely Goldthorpe causing a stink as a scrum prepared to pack by asking the Bears front row what they'd be wearing on Mad Monday.

Big Norm

WTC

Juniors
Tallis against Auckland agreed, what a try, ran through half of those big boppers. In a word, awesome.