What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great News: Joey Agrees To Be The Messenger

Nook

Bench
I am firmly in Griff's corner on this one. Int'l RL is viewed by many, both within as well as outside of the game, as a bit of a joke and what do we do, propose a gimicky showcase like this!

I don't think this is gimmicky at all, as long as it is done in the right way. Its a nod to one of the defining moments in our game, and powerfully symbolic. As long as people know its a celebration of the 1907 All Golds tour, it won't be regarded as a joke.

6. Marshall
7. Johns
13. Sonny Bill

I'd pay good money to see that.

AliN

Live Update Team
isn't the SOO series more importsant to Aussies than International games?

I wonder if Messenger did the haka?

hutch

First Grade
i was under the impression that he isnt representing the nz national team, he is playing for the "all golds". with this in mind, the games wouldnt be test matches, they wouldnt be doing the haka or singing the kiwi anthem. it is basically a series to replicate the first ever rugby league tour to the uk. it can be advertised as a once in a 100 year event.

im still undecided over it. it will create a lot of publicity which is good, but what will happen if the aussies are playing tests at the same time.

and also, if this is a tour at the end of 2007, and it will be the end of joeys rep career, why wouldnt he stick around till march to play in the world cup, it is only another 3 or 4 months after?

ozbash

Referee
Sorry, but im not 100% understanding the article ? So this means Johns will play halfback for NZ and will verse AUS ? If so I think thats good, hopefully see who can be more dominating out of Lockyer and Johns . jono078

i,m pretty sure he wont play aussie, its a kiwi tour to the uk (13 games if i remember right) and one of them is the 1907 comemoration.

what greater honour could a national sporting team bestow on a person from another country than to invite that person to play with them.?

people have got a pretty good opinion of johns over here.

hutch

First Grade
they arent playing against australia. i wonder what australia are going to do though during this period. hopefully a 3 test series against france.

Sun_Down

Juniors
ozbash said:
i,m pretty sure he wont play aussie, its a kiwi tour to the uk (13 games if i remember right) and one of them is the 1907 comemoration.

Any idea what the 13 game agenda may be?

griff

Bench
Another powerful argument against Johns playing for NZ is that every single international interviewed about it on Sports Tonight last night was against it.

Australia should be playing test matches at the same time, and if he is available for selection, as one of the best Australian rugby league players he should play for the Australian national representative team.

griff said:
Another powerful argument against Johns playing for NZ is that every single international interviewed about it on Sports Tonight last night was against it.

Australia should be playing test matches at the same time, and if he is available for selection, as one of the best Australian rugby league players he should play for the Australian national representative team.

he's retiring from rep footy next year. so he wouldn't have been available anyway for anykind of aussie tour

griff

Bench
douglasallen91 said:
he's retiring from rep footy next year. so he wouldn't have been available anyway for anykind of aussie tour
If he is able to represent NZ you have to ask why he couldn't represent his own country.

AliN

Live Update Team
douglasallen91 said:

griff said:
If he is able to represent NZ you have to ask why he couldn't represent his own country.

hmm, speaks volumes I reckon.

shaggy

Juniors
from what i remembered the aussies aren't going anywhere or playing any 1 next off season their resting 4 the world cup

prob just have a camp or 2 & maybe do some promtions around the country 4 the wc

ozbash

Referee
Sun_Down said:
Any idea what the 13 game agenda may be?

the nzrl havnt released the itinary yet.
just looking at the games they played on the original tour and there was 49 games over a spell of 10 months, including australia,britain, ceylon, and a few more games in aussie on the way home.

a real tour !:D

griff

Bench
douglasallen91 said:
cause it's a 1 in a lifetime opportunity to play for the all golds
I'm sure representing New Zealand is something he dreamed of as a kid growing up in Cessnock.

Dakink

Bench
Man some people are thick. Johns is retiring from Rep footy after next years Origin series. He was invited to take part in the All Gold games to commemorate the history of RL. f**k me - I couldnt think of a greater honour for Johns and a bigger plus for the game than to embrace the rich tapestry of Messenger and co. He will have been RETIRED from rep footy, so wont be availabe for Aus selection even if they are playing! In our rush to develop and expand our game we shouldnt forget where it has come from.

griff

Bench
douglasallen91 said:
A L L G O L D S

They were not the All Golds, that was a derogatory nickname by the Sydney press. They were New Zealand, and unofficially the All Blacks or Colonials.

The fact remains if this silly idea goes ahead Andrew Johns will be playing for NZ - call it All Golds, Kiwis, All Blacks, Colonials, Sheep Shaggers or what you will.

Dakink

Bench
He wont be playing for NZ he will be playing with Kiwi's. Not to disimilar to the Barbarian idea except this is to HONOUR an important part of RL history.

That right what a silly idea - ask one of the greatest players ever (who has RETIRED from rep footy) to play in a game to commemorate perhaps the greatest and most important figure in League's history.

f**k me this is the exact sort of good publicity RL needs to push.

griff

Bench
1907 was a New Zealand test team. Commemorating 100 years since the first NZ test tour in 2007 will be a New Zealand test team.

If he has decided it is all too much for him to be expected to represent his country, then how is it that he is suddenly able to take part on a 13 match tour celebrating the 100th anniversary of the NZ RL side?

Dakink

Bench
Are you serious? You cant see the honour and relevance of Joey taking part. Name Messenger ring a bell?

Latest posts