What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great News: Joey Agrees To Be The Messenger

griff

Bench
Should they go by ship as well? Play a test in Cheltenham? Celebrating the fantastic history of 100 years of NZ tours of GB does not require Andrew Johns being there. The world does not revolve around Andrew Johns.

It will further muddy the waters and damage the credibility of international RL. NZ and GB play test series for the Baskiville Shield, commemorating that historic 1907 NZ tour. So in 2007 it will be 100 years of NZ v GB tests.

Either this NZ side + Johns won't be considered a test side and therefore the centenary test series between NZ v GB won't actually be a test series after all, or Andrew Johns will be representing a foreign country in tests.

What are the eligibility criteria for tests these days?
- born in that country
- have a parent or grandparent born in that country
- serve 3 year residency qualification
- be Andrew Johns and have it be 100 years since another Australian accepted a contract to go on a professional rugby tour

hutch

First Grade
they are not test matches. it is a series commemorationg the first international rugby league tour. it is NOT the kiwis, they are not test matches. it is a one off tour, they probably wont do it again for another 100 years.

griff

Bench
So the Baskiville Shield (commemorating the 1907 tour) won't be on offer to the winner of the 2007 centenary series?

Sun_Down

Juniors
griff said:
I'm sure representing New Zealand is something he dreamed of as a kid growing up in Cessnock.

No, but I gurantee you that he would have dreams of being compared to Messenger.

ULTIMATE HONOR IMO.

griff

Bench
Well yes being compared to Messenger is an honour for Joey. I'm sure it was also a wrap for Ricky Stuart when he was being compared to Messenger in 95. Or the countless other players down through the years that have been compared to Messenger.

But I don't see why honouring Joey is a good reason for the tour.

And what if he does his knee and can't go? Would someone else "represent" Messenger?

Woods99

Juniors
Dally Messenger was a Wallaby, something Andrew Johns is not and never will be.

It is a silly stunt. There was only one Dally Messenger, there can never been another.

shaggy

Juniors
their not honouring joey
their saying 100 yrs ago we picked up a guy from nsw who was playing union against us in a game of union & invited him 2 come along so 2 respect history well do it again by choosing the best player from australia which is johns so if johns does his knee or any other part then im guessing the next best player in australia will go @ this stage its lockyer but i cant cin lockyer playin @ 5/8 with benji in the team so either u pick locky @ full-back or play benji in the centers

Honestly....some of you people a w@nkers.

100 years on and its a chance to do something different to a series of games we've seen a million times over.

Stop your ****ing whinging.

Ari Gold

Bench
nospam49™ said:

100 years on and its a chance to do something different to a series of games we've seen a million times over.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

griff

Bench
Instead of responding to the reasons why it will damage the credibility of international RL All you can come up with is swearing and personal abuse. Well done.

1907 was a NZ test series, so 2007 should be a NZ test series. People should not be able to swap between playing for different test teams, particularly if they have no connection whatsoever with that team.

Do you think this would ever happen in any other game that purports to be a serious international sport? Of course not.

TooheysNew

Coach
Instead of responding to the reasons why it will damage the credibility of international RL All you can come up with is swearing and personal abuse. Well done.
You have your opinion - and are whinging about it. It's not my job to persuade you otherwise. In my opinion you are just looking for something to whine about.

griff

Bench
The point of these boards is we discuss issues in rugby league. We put forward arguments and counter-arguments about why each of us thinks their opinion is better.

I don't see how being passionate about the future of international RL is looking for something to whine about.

griff said:

1907 was a NZ test series, so 2007 should be a NZ test series. People should not be able to swap between playing for different test teams, particularly if they have no connection whatsoever with that team.

Do you think this would ever happen in any other game that purports to be a serious international sport? Of course not.

henry paul played for nz and england.

it is not a test series.

nospam49™ said:

what the.........

i am agreeing with nospam49 for the first time ever.

Dakink

Bench
douglasallen91 said:
what the.........

i am agreeing with nospam49 for the first time ever.

Hehe me too - though Im sure we will get a comment from LF saying something like I dont care what you f^&%$#s think.

yakstorm

First Grade
Correct me if I'm wrong....but since reading more into the proposed tour, and whats planned there is the plans for a 3 test tour for NZ, as well as at least one 100 year All Gold commentatrive match.

Johns wont play in the tests, but will play in the tour matches and of course the big commentatrive match which I believed is pencilled down for somewhere City of Manchester.

So out of the 13 matches planned, any Test ones which are included Johns wont play in, but the big 100 year celebration games he will. Things might change, but honestly if that goes to plan like that surely both sides of this arguement have to be reasonably happy.

hgfds

Juniors
Are the kiwis really going to play 3 tests in nov 07 and the rlwc in feb/mar 2008 ,have the nrl clubs been notified of this.

griff

Bench
I haven't heard that yakstorm. So you are saying there will be:

9 tour matches (with Johns for some but not all)
3 NZ v GB tests for the Baskiville Shield (sans Johns)
1 All Golds v GB commemorative game (with Johns)

Having a proper 3 test series between NZ and GB would be better and remove a lot of the concerns. But perhaps the commemorative game will overshadow the tests a little. And from GB's point of view presumably they will be awarding test caps for that game, although NZ wouldn't be, which makes test status a bit of nebulous concept.

The only good thing with having a World Cup in March 2008 is that it frees up the end of the season for a Centenary Kangaroo Tour, where if he still is going around Andrew Johns can represent Dally Messenger to his hearts content.

Latest posts