What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Sporting Venues

hrundi99

First Grade
greeneyed said:
It was complete capacity. Great day. I was lucky to get tickets not high up.... friend of a friend.... And the game was great, even though I didn't really understand the rules. The half time entertainment was great, and the girl behind us won a trip to Hawaii for two as a result. There were 6 original teams and 5 of them were in the USA.... New York being one of them.....

I stand corrected.

nb the original six teams are NY, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal.

greeneyed

First Grade
OK... I stand corrected :) The vast bulk of teams are from the USA however, and I don't think Canadians were deciding how the Rangers presented their game. :)

hrundi99

First Grade
greeneyed said:
OK... I stand corrected :) The vast bulk of teams are from the USA however, and I don't think Canadians were deciding how the Rangers presented their game. :)

Yes but hockey is a Canadian game. ;-) 8)

greeneyed

First Grade
hrundi99 said:
My non-NRL favourites...

1. SkyDome, Toronto - Final game of the 92/93 World Series, Blue Jays vs the Philadelphia Phillies. My Mum had to go back to Sydney as her sister was very ill with cancer. I was with my Dad in a company box (he basically gave his customers the finger so he and I could watch and enjoy the game together). The game was in the balance and I actually talked to the man upstairs and asked hm to let Joe Carter hit a homer for my Aunty. Next pitch he hit the series-winning homer and it landed about 10 metres under our box. I kid you not. I bawled my eyes out.

That's the first time I've ever told that story and now I'm :cry: :oops:

2. Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto - first NHL game after having moved to Canada, and it was the Western Conference finals game 5. The Leafs went down 2-0 early to the LA Kings but fought back to win the game 3-2 in overtime. I also saw about another 6 or 7 games there. You can't beat walking home from the hockey after a win and the beer coat in -30 temperatures.

3. Highbury, Arsenal - My in-laws are mad Arsenal supporters and we had tickets especially organised for us (a lot of grovelling by the family to Arsenal management) and we ended up with seats in the middle of a sea of red. Who were they playing? Newcastle of course, and Newcastle won. And I made it out alive. :)

4. Air Canada Centre, Toronto - The pinnacle of NHL stadiums (they played the recent World Cup final there) and an awesome place to see hockey. They have a great guided tour of the facilities and a phenomonal atmosphere (they sell out every game and there's a very long waiting list for season tickets; these things are handed down from generation to generation). I've seen 3 or 4 games there.

I would like to see the Patriots in the middle of a snow storm. 80,000 season ticket holders for American football with the stadium sold out for seasons and seasons to come ... same deal.....

raiders_boy

Juniors
My top 3 experiences in order:

1. Bruce Stadium during the Brumbies GF this year. Just amazing. I have never really been at Bruce when it has been capacity and been able to appreciate it like i did this night. I was there for Mal and Laurie's last games, but cant remeber them as well as this. Sitting there with my mates, and just going off when we went 33-0 up after about 17 mins. fun times.

2. Telstra Stadium for Origin III this year. What an atmosphere. The build up to the games was awesome, and I was there with the same group of mates, so we had an awesome time. The only reason its not ranked #1 is cos im a die-hard Queensland supporter, and it was kinda heart breaking, seeing as this was my first Origin.

3. Walking into an EMPTY SCG. I went for an AFL match, but was there to watch the Belconnen Magpies play the swans reserves, so we were there nice and early. The gates weren't open, but cos my dad is manager of the club (pokie club, not football club) we got to go in. Just walking in to a silent stadium is awe-inspiring. Empty stands, empty ground, and just thinking that there really have been some greats walk out there.

I know there not as exotic as some, and i plan on experiencing many others round the world, but these will be hard to beat.

greeneyed

First Grade
Number 1 is truly sad. Especially when you were there for real events. I can appreciate Number 3. This is why I think it was so special for me in 1986. We were among the first into the ground. What a feeling.

raiders_boy

Juniors
I knew some of you guys wouldnt like #1, but I am a brumbies fan, and it was the first time i have seen the stadium so packed that they had to bring in extra seating. The enormity of the occasion, coupled with the atmosphere just puts it over the top.

I was 8 for Mals ast game, so i cant remember that, And the only thing i remember about Laurie's last game is it pissing down right at the end of the match, and loz having the final kick... plus it wasn't really his last game, cos we were back for the home semi the next week and that wasnt as fun as beating the roosters

greeneyed

First Grade
It wasn't really an enormous occasion. "Super 12" is a manufactured pay TV game, produced by a minority sport. I give them credit that they have fooled soo many people. Most of the people who go have no idea about sport, let alone football in any form.

raiders_boy

Juniors
:lol:

Its just sad that some league supporters are so one eyed, and anti union.

Don't get me wrong, i dont enjoy union half as much as league, but i still go and support the brumbies with my mates and i enjoy it!

anyway... goodnight

greeneyed

First Grade
Raiders boy... I am just really sad for you that so far in your life, this is your number 1 sporting event... really I am ........

greeneyed

First Grade
Like for instance, how could it compare to the Raiders winning their first Premiership, in a real competition? 1989 SFS. Or any of our Premierships? I am truly sorry you haven't experienced a real victory of that sort.

brenno

Juniors
Best overseas venue i've been to:- I haven't been to many countries overseas or many stadiums for that matter but, nothing in life compares to being at a packed Giuseppe Meazza (the San Siro) Stadium in Milan, Italy for a derby game between the Inter V AC Milan. I'm not italian but i'm a mad inter fan and i'll never forget the atmosphere, the noise of the stadium, the passion of the fans (they love their fog horns over there) & also the security (it was nuts). I sat in the east stand which is considered to be more "mutual" and i just couldn't believe how loud the place was and also how much smoke & noise was generated by the crazy rossoneri & nerazzurri fans letting off flares and sounding fog horns, it was great though. Very hard to get tickets for Inter matches (especially for derby's ) but we managed to get them in advance and they were very expensive but it was worth it. Inter won also so it made the experience even more memorable.

Best in Australia:- Suncorp stadium for me. Been to telstra stadium, mcg, scg, sfs but nothing compares to a packed suncorp in terms of atmosphere. I

raiders_boy

Juniors
greeneyed said:
Like for instance, how could it compare to the Raiders winning their first Premiership, in a real competition? 1989 SFS. Or any of our Premierships? I am truly sorry you haven't experienced a real victory of that sort.

Dude, I was 3 in 1989, and as much as I'd like to, I don't remember anything abou it. In fact I had been living in Australia less than a month during the 1989 GF. I'm only 18, and haven't had the chance to travel like you have. I'll get there, but for now, those are my top 3. You'll get over it though mate.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Would love to go to the San Siro. One of my mates has been there and from his account it sounded like utter mayhem! Saying the Brumbies final was awesome is like trying to preach the 'values' of Islam to George Bush.

RaidersMalt

Juniors
I Haven't been to many overseas stadiums but have been to plenty in Australia including the MCG, SCG, SFS, Stadium Australia, Adelaide Oval, WACA and Lang Park.
I'd have to say my favourite is the MCG. Some of my favorite memories are of Dean Jones tearing apart the English "attack", also some great AFL preliminary finals and ANZAC games but for the sheer atmoshpere nothing has bettered the soccer blockbusters agianst Iran and more recently Uruguay. The tension and anticipation in those games was unbelievable, not to mention the near riots when we scored. The heartbreak after the Iran game was something that you can never erase from memory, no matter how hard you try.

Brimmer

Juniors
Not many of you guys would be happy with me for saying this... but...
Suncorp Stadium is awesome when it comes to view of the field and facilities.

Sure the turf sucked but they've corrected that now. But the bad turf is a positive IMO. We didn't have to see that knob hodges for all of 2003.

Freddo

Juniors
i have been to the scg energy australia canberra staduim aussie staduim and the best by far is the scg the day i was there was the last time australia played the west indies i was there the day steve waugh and adam gilchrist scored 100s nothing is better than watchin steve waugh get 100

raiders_boy

Juniors
my dad was there the day of waugh's last ball century.. damn him... he said it was just amazing and the noise level was astonishing. Even the barmy army were up