What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Sporting Venues

greeneyed

First Grade
raiders_boy said:
greeneyed said:
Like for instance, how could it compare to the Raiders winning their first Premiership, in a real competition? 1989 SFS. Or any of our Premierships? I am truly sorry you haven't experienced a real victory of that sort.

Dude, I was 3 in 1989, and as much as I'd like to, I don't remember anything abou it. In fact I had been living in Australia less than a month during the 1989 GF. I'm only 18, and haven't had the chance to travel like you have. I'll get there, but for now, those are my top 3. You'll get over it though mate.

I understand, and I'm genuinely sorry you haven't had a chance to experience a Raiders Grand Final win.....

Top 5 - NRL Grounds

1. Telstra Stadium
2. Suncorp Stadium (Havent been there but seems excellent)
3. SCG
4. Canberra Stadium
5. Dairy Farmers (For atmosphere)

woodgers

Bench
This went from great venues to morphing into a 'best atmosphere or game'.

I am with the Malt, I love the MCG. It is unreal to go to the qualifiers at the 'G'. The Victorian crowds will more often than not kill Sydney and Brisbane people for passion and atmosphere, but even those 'mexicans' said they hadn't seen anything like it. In 1997 standing on halfway in the Great Southern Stand listening to the anthem being bellowed out by 88,000 soccer fans was a real tear jerker. The very concrete beneath my feet rumbled and it was close to the most memorable moment I have experienced at a sporting ground. Most other games you are hard pressed to find 200 people in the ground singing the anthem, not football fans though.

If people want atmosphere get yourselves overseas quickly. Whether you like soccer (I still want to call it football!) or not, nothing gets close in terms of atmosphere. The singing is unbelievable and the passion second to none. Brenno, Ultra and Hrundi(still scratching my head how you got into highbury) will no doubt agree that it is awesome. I love hearing fans get behind their side so I loved nothing more than going to any random football match when I was in the U.K.

Without wanting to P anyone off, I couldn't give a rats for the American laser shows and random sound effects to make it sound like it is noisy in those stadiums. Give me 20,000+ behind the goals singing their hearts out for the lads and i'm in heaven.

Greeneyed, you made me jealous that you went to Wembley. I made it to the gates but couldn't get inside. It is a lifelong dream of mine to see an F.A cup final at Wembley. If I turned up a day later it was an open day so I would have had the chance to go into all areas of the stadium from the walk down the tunnel to the hallowed turf from 66. :cry:

Raidersboy, you will get there one day. Just never use the words: Brumbies & Atmosphere in the same sentance again. It doesn't make sense.

hrundi99

First Grade
woodgers said:
Hrundi(still scratching my head how you got into highbury).

The wife's family in London sent the club a sob story letter about our "life-long dedication" to the Gunners and the "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity to seethem play and sure enough we got the tickets.

Good thing I wasn't wearing a Newcastle shirt though.

woodgers

Bench
Someone might have thrown a prawn sandwich at you, if you did!
Ultra, that is the funniest thing I have read in ages. I agree with you though, the suits would have been so 'displeased' they would have considered not going back to the country club for an old fashioned lemonade after the encounter.

At least you can say you went to Highbury Hrundi. Anyone else from now on has to say they went to the Emirates Stadium. Talk about selling your soul.....What is next, telling your grandkids that you say Rooney score a memorable hatrick against Juve at Snap, Crackle and pop Stadium?