What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great thread on Redcliffe and Gold Coast Logo in NRL thread

DIEHARD

----
Yes come and see mindless and delusional Bears fans agree with anyone or anything that nit picks the Gold Coast bid.

Riveting stuff. :|

timmeah

Juniors
Diehard

No bad Karma for Gold Coast application but I think that they have screwed this logo situation up so far. Everything else they've tried to achieve is applauded I think by most South East Qld League supporters bar the logo business. Rugby League support is driven by emotion and I would have to say I support Redcliffe's line on this one. I just cannot understand why every new team has to be controversial in south east qld. It just comes across they have no idea about the league market up here. Are all the members on their board from Qld. I know they've invested money in the brand so far but the money they would make in the long term if they fixed this would totally outweigh the money they have made so far.

DIEHARD

----
Dolphins isn't my first choice for a name for the Gold Coast. But Dolphins is ideal for Australia's tourism capital and home of Sea World. And the only thing holding me back from making the Dolphins my top choice is Redcliffe, but ONLY if they had intentions to be part of the NRL in the near future.

Redcliffe have had years to make their aspirations known for the NRL. It also does not take Einstein to put two and two together and realise that an NRL side would soon return to the Gold Coast and Dolphins would be the obvious choice for a name.

Redcliffe should have seen this coming. As soon as the Gold Coast bid was sniffing around for a mascot they should have acted and declared the Dolphin theirs and declared their NRL ambitons.

They should have headed the Gold Coast off at the pass.

You can't trademark an animal. And the two teams would not be in the same market.

timmeah said:
I just cannot understand why every new team has to be controversial in south east qld.

I agree it is unfortunate and if I was in charge they would be the Gold Coast Gladiators.

But Dolphins is infinitely more marketable and I can see why the bid team choose it, well I can see why the public choose it. Not very many people realise the Redcliffe Dolphins even exist.

I just can't see any legal grounds for Redcliffe. Alot of other teams have dealt with similar naming problems without being reduced to legal pursuits.

Neither party will be backing out. And I think this will go to court. Win or lose for either party it is bad news RL doesn't need. The only thing I can see that would appease Redcliffe is a share in the franchise.

timmeah

Juniors
It's just a clear mistake Diehard

Even if they win the case it just creates a bad tast in peoples mouth. If they're confident they are doing the right thing they want to be confident that they are going to be successful straight away. I think a franchise that comes across as a bully will find it hard to support when times are tough in the first 5 years.

Everyone talks as if Redcliffe is a small club here. This is a big club and they're getting bigger each year. Even though they are not making any formal announcments it is clear they are getting their structures right before they rush into anything. And by the very fact they are contesting the name is a bit of a hint. The QRL does play the same sport as the NRL. NRL clubs in Queensland have to realise that they have a responsibility to look after the league community that they represent. Because it is here where new supporters and new players are developed for the future. Thats where profits and premierships are developed.

DIEHARD

----
The only way Redcliffe will get into the NRL is if they represent the Sunshine Coast. At least that is my belief.

Ideally I would like the Sunshine Coast Dolphins and Gold Coast Gladiators.

But things rarely go how you want.

timmeah

Juniors
I think they plan to get in as Redcliffe.

Gold Coast is not the only region growing quickly. Redcliffe is surrounded by massive subdivision developments such as Narangba, North lakes and Dep Bay Not including Pine Rivers and Caboolture.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
You can't trademark an animal. And the two teams would not be in the same market.

Both are Queensland teams playing in major Rugby League competitions.
Judging by viewing numbers for the ABC coverage, a vast number of people follow both competitions.

Isn't that the same market ?

mightybears

Bench
presumably XXXX cap
the key to the case is 'markets' as you say

gladiators would have worked, as would of chargers but its up the the barristers [and judge] now!

DIEHARD

----
XXXX Cap said:
DIEHARD said:

Both are Queensland teams playing in major Rugby League competitions.
Judging by viewing numbers for the ABC coverage, a vast number of people follow both competitions.

Isn't that the same market ?

How would the introduction of the Gold Coast affect the business of Redcliffe? The Gold Coast also aren't trying to trick anyone or ride on the repuatation of Recliffe.

Gladiators or Dolphins, they still deserve to be in the NRL before the bad luck Bears. Naming them the Chargers is one of the most ridiculous ideas I have ever heard.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
How would the introduction of the Gold Coast affect the business of Redcliffe? The Gold Coast also aren't trying to trick anyone or ride on the repuatation of Recliffe.

Well, it must just have been plain stupidity that they chose "Dolphins".

They've managed to alienate a large section of the Rugby League-loving, Broncos-hating fans that could have been their target market. They've demonstrated the same arrogance towards non-NRL Rugby League that the existing clubs and the media regularly show.

Sydney Carton

Juniors
[quote="XXXX Cap]They've managed to alienate a large section of the Rugby League-loving, Broncos-hating fans that could have been their target market. They've demonstrated the same arrogance towards non-NRL Rugby League that the existing clubs and the media regularly show.[/quote]

Here here!

mud n blood

Juniors
"The Gold Coast also aren't trying to trick anyone or ride on the reputation of Recliffe. "

I think this is exactly what they are trying to do.

Secondly, I don't think it matters whether Redcliffe have plans or not to join the NRL ... to push that barrow wreaks of NRL-club arrogance anyway!

Sydney Carton

Juniors
More bad press for the Coast bid today.

Time to admit they made a mistake and underestimated Redcliffe and local fans. That is, if they want to get into the NRL. They can still achieve a publicity coup out of this publicity nightmare. How?

CHANGE THE $#$%#@ NAME %$#%^#@S!

SP

Bench
they should just leave it as Gold Coast, whats the use of having some lameo yank nickname?

DIEHARD

----
A mascot is a very effective marketing tool.

Not to have one could be a liability.

And yes I know a lot of teams do not have one. Such as Halifax, Wigan (As it seems) and Hull. But tradition is also an effective marketing tool and Gold Coast being a new team do not have any.

Possibly the Gold Coast could call themselves Gold Coast RLFC and have a logo that features a Dolphin.