What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Rivalries

Tom Shines

First Grade
Southern Rooster said:
Arsene v Alex you mean. It was a nothing rivalry until just recently.

As for Arsenal v Tottenham please beating up on the same team time and time again is not a rivalry. The Arsenal v Spurs thing only means something to the Spurs fans now.

Liverpool v Everton is a good derby but there is no real hatred there.
Same with the Manchester Derby.

The only game in England that invokes the passion i reckon is Man Utd v Liverpool and even then not as much as it used too.
Like hell it doesn't. We despise the Rags with every fibre of our existence.

Macca_

Coach
Southern Rooster said:
All my mates that support Arsenal and there are quite a few. I also know a few of the Oz Spurs boys and it was the Arsenal boys that stated that beating Spurs and the derby did not mean as much these days as it used to. These Gunners from the 60's.
Well all those mates are pushing 50 years of age, they've lost their fire I'd suggest :D

Southern Rooster said:
On other forums (football dedicated) the Arsenal fans seem to get more fired up these days with Man Utd and Chelsea.
The only reason those games fire up the fans is because of recent history. Add to that the fans of those clubs who have only joined recently and it creates that extra fire amongst the fans.

I go back to what I said re the email list I'm on. It's a small one (1500 odd), but there's a good chunk of season ticket holders (who have been for some time) and nothing gets it going more then a game against the Spuds.

Sure, some may joke or say it tongue in cheek that the Derby means less nowadays, but by no means is that right. It's very much a Derby which both set of fans still want to win and still look at the fixture list to see when they are each season.

Sure, I get great enjoyment out of beating one of the title contenders, but I get just as much out of beating Spurs.

Latest posts