What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Side/Era put together!

MugaB

Coach
He is but there a few positions stacked, So until a winger beats him

Wesser
Lewis
Girdler
Fittler
Mansour
Brandy
Gower
Geyer
Royce
Fish
Puletua
Waterhouse
Yeo

Cleary
Cartwright
Kikau
Waterhouse
Mansour over To'o.... seriously
Geyer in front row? A bit disgeniuos to other front rows weve had....he'd be my 2nd row over waterhouse, and id have one less waterhouse and add a Scotty Sattler and Dylan
Edwards for me need to nail a spots on yhe bench

Iamback

Coach
Mansour over To'o.... seriously
Geyer in front row? A bit disgeniuos to other front rows weve had....he'd be my 2nd row over waterhouse, and id have one less waterhouse and add a Scotty Sattler and Dylan
Edwards for me need to nail a spots on yhe bench

Hard to put current players in as their achievements are still going but for me wingers score tries.

I had guys that played 100 games
Played for state and country

So my list was smaller then most on here

Pomoz

Bench
I can't believe no one has mentioned Michael Jennings a brilliant footballer and sensational try scorer. Pity he was a DS off the field
John, I was picking from our GF/Minor premier teams. Jennings won nothing with us. Likewise other good players like Gordon, Civoniceva, Roberts etc In any case it would be a cold day in hell before I would pick Jennings in front of Girdler of Fittler.

Iamback

Coach
John, I was picking from our GF/Minor premier teams. Jennings won nothing with us. Likewise other good players like Gordon, Civoniceva, Roberts etc In any case it would be a cold day in hell before I would pick Jennings in front of Girdler of Fittler.

That is it. Needs to be some sort of way to qualify the players

Pomoz

Bench
Wesser from dummy-half against Parramatta was a great moment. He also scored a similar one against the Bulldogs and completely blitzed Luke Patten. Its at 54 seconds:

Thanks Fangs, I forgot just how good he was. Breathtaking to watch, especially in 2003. Nobody in our current team, or any team in our history, have got close to the speed, balance and acceleration that Wesser had. Jennings was the closest, but he was slow over 100m and got run down quite often. It was very rare to see Wesser run down. That clip showed him burning Brett Stewart on the outside. Stewart was no slouch, but I saw Wesser slice past him several times when we played Mankly.

Fangs

Coach
Thanks Fangs, I forgot just how good he was. Breathtaking to watch, especially in 2003. Nobody in our current team, or any team in our history, have got close to the speed, balance and acceleration that Wesser had. Jennings was the closest, but he was slow over 100m and got run down quite often. It was very rare to see Wesser run down. That clip showed him burning Brett Stewart on the outside. Stewart was no slouch, but I saw Wesser slice past him several times when we played Mankly.

Yes it is easy to forget. Close to 20 years since we saw him at the peak of his powers. He was absolutely devastating at his best.

Fangs

Coach
I can't find the footage but I do recall Wesser getting run down with a good head start. The fact he was caught was made even more impressive as he was blatantly offside from a Gower chip kick. We ended up scoring off the next play and stole the game in the dying minutes.

I can't recall the year. It might have been this one. Darren Albert played that night and he had plenty of toe so you could imagine him keeping him:

Iamback

Coach
I can't find the footage but I do recall Wesser getting run down with a good head start. The fact he was caught was made even more impressive as he was blatantly offside from a Gower chip kick. We ended up scoring off the next play and stole the game in the dying minutes.

I can't recall the year. It might have been this one. Darren Albert played that night and he had plenty of toe so you could imagine him keeping him:

Head gear Wesser was ordinary so very likely those years

Fangs

Coach
Head gear Wesser was ordinary so very likely those years

No I think it was later. It was a last minute victory at Shark Park, no head gear that night.

The only other match that was similar was decided by a Sammut field goal and I know he didn't play the game I am thinking about.

Iamback

Coach
No I think it was later. It was a last minute victory at Shark Park, no head gear that night.

The only other match that was similar was decided by a Sammut field goal and I know he didn't play the game I am thinking about.

That timing matches Darren Albert

Kilkenny

Coach
But those 18 months were glorious. The Parra try out of dummy half when we needed to win to take the MP is still my favourite ever Panther moment.
The thing about Rhys around this notion he was only good for 2 seasons is the fact he scored 113 tries in a 178 games for us. We as a team may have only been good for two seasons, but Rhys scored 113 tries. Given decent, very good players tend to do well if they score 20 tries a season in a good season what does that say about Rhys. Even his average of 13 tries a season across 10 seas is is fair given we were shithouse for most of his time at the club.

You can’t compare era’s, different sides , all I can say is in my 50 years of supporting this club, other than Brandy, Gowie (maybe), I’ve never seen a more explosive, faster, better player at his best than Rhys Wesser. Not just two seAsia’s,but over his entire time at our club. IMO the guy was a freak, at his best he was capable of doing the things now everyone bangs on about Tommy T, Trell and James T.

If Rhys had played for one of the competition heavyweights at his best he would have scored twice as many tries than he did with us.

Iamback

Coach
The thing about Rhys around this notion he was only good for 2 seasons is the fact he scored 113 tries in a 178 games for us. We as a team may have only been good for two seasons, but Rhys scored 113 tries. Given decent, very good players tend to do well if they score 20 tries a season in a good season what does that say about Rhys. Even his average of 13 tries a season across 10 seas is is fair given we were shithouse for most of his time at the club.

You can’t compare era’s, different sides , all I can say is in my 50 years of supporting this club, other than Brandy, Gowie (maybe), I’ve never seen a more explosive, faster, better player at his best than Rhys Wesser. Not just two seAsia’s,but over his entire time at our club. IMO the guy was a freak, at his best he was capable of doing the things now everyone bangs on about Tommy T, Trell and James T.

If Rhys had played for one of the competition heavyweights at his best he would have scored twice as many tries than he did with us.

Yeah he is my clear fullback

For that very reason

Our version of David Nofoluma really, would score tries despite the side struggling

Kilkenny

Coach
Rhys copped a lot of flack on the back of his sin binning in the prelim army final in the first minute of the 2nd half against the Bulldogs in 2004.

We led at half time as I recall but gave up 12 or more points while he was of the field and we never recovered.

I think a lot of our fans still hold him responsible for that loss and he is somewhat tainted by that moment.

Very unfortunate, we would have beaten the Bulldogs that day but for his sin binning , that day was saw the emergence of a player by the name of Jonathon Thurston who as I recall scored a try under the posts while Rhys was in the bin.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’ll never forget the try against the Eels, where he picked the ball up from dummy half and scooted thru the line to run 60 and score. I took my parents to that game, panthers tragics but despite there love for the club rarely have gone to games live. They still talk about being there the day Rhys scored that special try. It was a truly special moment.

Latest posts