What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green throws down gauntlet to Mundine

Valheru

Coach
Rubbish...

I just watched it and at best the ref was late in calling the break...

And the ref didn't actually call the break correctly as he's supposed to touch both fighters when calling the break so they know the break is happening...

The ref clearly didn't touch Mundine at all...

Then there's the fact that Green had his hands down... one of the very last instructions a referee gives a fighter before a fight is protect yourself at ALL times...
not some times... and he doesn't say except for when I call break,,. He says at ALL times...

The fact the point got taken off proves nothing... it just looked like the ref was covering his own ass after realising he f**ked up when he didn't break them properly...

As for the decision... lmfao... I'm not sure of how the boxing commissions work in Australia... but I'm pretty sure if it was in Nevada there would be pretty strong grounds to get the fight result changed to a NC.

I haven't seen that since Pacquiao v Bradley... and this was worse than that IMO...

It is beyond me how you and apparently others have convinced yourself a break wasn't called.

It was an obvious and clear cheap shot. Had he have been knocked out mundine would have been DQ'd no doubt.

alien

Referee
Foxtel to sue illegal boxing broadcasters
AAP - Christopher Talbot - 1 hour ago

A man has started a crowdfunding page in case Foxtel carries out its threat to sue him for live streaming the boxing bout between Anthony Mundine and Danny Green on Facebook.

Foxtel says it will take legal action against a number of people who live steamed the fight to hundreds-of-thousands of people through the social media site on Friday night.

One of the men streaming the match, Brett Hevers, recorded a video of a Foxtel representative calling him to tell him to cease the broadcast.

"I think I've got the right to do it, I paid for it," Mr Hevers told Foxtel in the video.

AAmC1k6.img

Brett Hevers streamed the fight on his Facebook page to thousands of viewers.

He said he did it because he had friends that couldn't afford the $60 it cost to watch the fight on Foxtel's Main Event channel.

Foxtel said in a statement that the Facebook broadcast was stealing and legal action would be taken against the people involved.

Mr Hevers is raising money through his Paypal account in case he gets sued by the cable TV company.

"If Foxtel decide to get their panties in a bunch it will (the money) cover all that nonsense," Mr Havers wrote on Facebook.

AAmBYwq.img

Danny Green and Anthony Mundine during the Boxing fight night between Anthony Mundine and Danny Green at the Adelaide Oval in Adelaide, Friday, Feb. 3, 2017.

Another man, Darren Sharpe from Queensland, also broadcast the fight and has started a crowdfunding page to raise money for his possible legal fees.

It's so far raised almost $2000.

Both men say they will donate the money to the Cancer Council if Foxtel doesn't follow through with legal action.

There is also talk that Facebook may have to answer to the pay TV company but that's yet to be confirmed.

Facebook has been contacted by AAP for comment.

AAmC1li.img

Darren Sharpe has set up a crowdfunding page to raise money for possible legal fees.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...casters/ar-AAmBztL?li=AAabC8j&ocid=spartanntp

shiznit

Coach
It is beyond me how you and apparently others have convinced yourself a break wasn't called.

It was an obvious and clear cheap shot. Had he have been knocked out mundine would have been DQ'd no doubt.
There's MASSIVE doubt whether he would have been DQ'd.

Because of the timing of the incident and the type of incident... the odds are far, far higher that it would have been called a NC if they couldn't continue the fight.

A DQ???

its very rare for a fighter to be DQ'd off a break... Infact, I can't recall ever seeing it in my 30 years of watching fights...

Mainly because refs are usually blamed when a fighter gets hit on the break... As it's usually a sign of a ref lacking control...

Maybe for repeated shots on the break where the fighte has been warned... But not first time that early...

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Most people hate Mundine, most people don't know the exact rules and nuances of boxing and most importantly people see what they want to see.

I think you're points are spot on Shiz but it just doesn't suit the narrative unfortunately

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Green-Mundine fight doctor Lou Lewis quit when overruled about concussion danger
By Loukas Founten
Posted 27 minutes ago

One of the doctors involved in the highly anticipated rematch between boxers Anthony Mundine and Danny Green has slammed the decision to continue the fight after Green was concussed in the first round.

Ringside doctor Lou Lewis said he quit his role mid-fight last Friday night because his opinion was ignored.

In a fight within a fight, the two doctors present disagreed about whether Green was fit to continue after being caught off guard by a Mundine blow.

GIF: Mundine hits Green before breaking the clinch

Despite four decades of ringside experience, Dr Lewis was overruled by Dr John O'Neill and the referee.

"I was saying ... the fight should be stopped, I don't want it to go on ... [but] I didn't want to have a fight in the ring with another doctor," Dr Lewis said.

"I said to the referee: 'Are you stopping the fight?' The referee said 'No' ... [and] I said: 'I'm having nothing more to do with this fight'."

Another blow 'could have been fatal'
Other medical experts also have expressed a view the injured boxer was in danger.

"Another serious blow when he's already concussed, it is no exaggeration to say, could have been fatal," Dr Michael Gannon of the Australian Medical Association said.

Green admitted he was concussed after one round but said he had wanted to fight on.

"I'm just going 'let's fight, let's fight, I'm good to go' because that's what you do if you're a warrior," he told the media this week.

"You just do that. You wanna fight, you don't know what the rules are — mate I didn't know if I was Arthur or Martha."

Dr Peter Lewis of the Australasian Ringside Medicine Association also backed the view that the fight should have ended early.

"I'll give you a straight answer, I think I would have called the fight off," he said.

"When you've suffered a blow like that you're concussed so you're not really able to make rational decisions in your own self interest."

Green fought on for nine more rounds and won the bout and a multi-million-dollar prize for his efforts.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-...-warned-boxer-concussed/8249132?section=sport

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Anthony Mundine to appeal fight loss to Danny Green: report

Anthony Mundine has reportedly lodged an official appeal against his controversial points decision loss to Danny Green in last week's fight in Adelaide.

News Corp Australia says Mundine filed the appeal on Wednesday, wanting the result of the bout changed to "no decision" instead.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/...ss-to-danny-green-report-20170208-gu8nqh.html

God I hope this doesn't get re-judged or reversed purely on the basis that we will then see a heap of boxers who dont want to accept the judge's decision and these events will be decided in a court.

As if boxing doesn't have enough problems.

shiznit

Coach
Anthony Mundine to appeal fight loss to Danny Green: report

Anthony Mundine has reportedly lodged an official appeal against his controversial points decision loss to Danny Green in last week's fight in Adelaide.

News Corp Australia says Mundine filed the appeal on Wednesday, wanting the result of the bout changed to "no decision" instead.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/...ss-to-danny-green-report-20170208-gu8nqh.html

God I hope this doesn't get re-judged or reversed purely on the basis that we will then see a heap of boxers who dont want to accept the judge's decision and these events will be decided in a court.

As if boxing doesn't have enough problems.
Er..... changing the fight result to a no contest is nothing new in boxing.

Boxers have been able to do that and have actually appealed in the past.

It just doesn't happen too often as it's usually an expensive process and they normally wont change the result unless it's a egregiously terrible decision.

I remember not that long ago Pacquiao v Bradley 1 was changed to a no contest.

And as I said when it first happened... there's a HUGE chance it gets changed to a NC as this was IMO even worse than Pacquiao v Bradley.

2 weeks

Coach
It was a shit fight IMO

2 over the hill pugs trying to relive their glory days

But Mundine was a clear winner on my card

T-Boon

Coach
I've looked at the replay footage of the "late shot" frame by frame...the only issue is whether the ref actually called break - and if he did when. You can't tell from the highlights footage I've seen because there is music and commentary. Green only responds and looks at the ref when the ref has his arm pined. Mundine can't see that Greens arm is pined by the ref because Greens body is in the road.
I think it is a fair punch but the ref stuffed up by pining Greens arm before getting between the fighters.
After that Mundine won pretty comfortably.
Whats the deal with the 10/10 round that should be 10/8?
I tip no contest.

Wizardman

First Grade
Mundine looks punch drunk to me. Medicos need to have a good look at him before clearing him to fight again. I think he is unfit to box again.