What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg cleared over Tandy betting allegations

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yes I do think he should stand down while these allegations are investigated given the serious nature of them. Gambling by insiders in sport is a potential cancer that needs to be dealt with openly, immediately and thoroughly, not swept under the carpet or carried out in a half arsed manner. By Todd standing down and letting the integrity unit investigate it quickly would be the best outcome.

Swept what under the carpet?

The allegations about Tandy came to light within days of the NQ/CBY match in question and was major news for weeks following.

If that's swept under the carpet I'm stunned.

Dutchy

Immortal
So "lets not make him out to be guilty", but you start a thread suggesting he should stand down?

Make your mind up idiot.

Either way, IN the broadcast, it clearly said via a spokesperson that he denied any knowledge.

If the NRL integrity unit chooses to investigate it so be it but I have a feeling it'd be a waste of time...

The NRL has stood players down after alleged instances.

MarkC

Juniors
The evidence in this case seems to be the word of one bloke, that can't be confirmed by anyone else that we know of.

As well, there is no transcript on the actual conversation.

For example:-
Shell - "Tandy owes me some money for gambling debts"
Greenburg - "Talk to his manager"

To investigate the minimum you would need is some evidence that the meeting in the cafe actually took place.

So the NRL integrity unit should ask Greenburg 3 questions:-
1) Do you remember meeting in the cafe?
2) Do you remember a discussion on gambling debts?
3) Do you remember any mention of Tandy gambling on NRL matches?

If the integrity unit is not satisfied with Greenburg's answers, it can then ask him to step down.

Otherwise, it just needs to check his statements against other sources until it reach a conclusion one way or another.

carcharias

Immortal
yes.

Get somebody that has no official tie to any club.

It is an absolute farce he was given the job to start with.

yes.

Get somebody that has no official tie to any club.

It is an absolute farce he was given the job to start with.

Carcharias knows.

Also, the parallels to Arko are spot on.

What, we can't find someone impartial for this most important role? Fmd!

Mind you, Luke Patten is video reffing his old team this weekend so what do I know.

I love this game, but it is embarrassing sometimes.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
The way he stood Barba down until the smoke had cleared then rushed him back into the squad once the coast was clear changed my opinion of Greenberg . Before then I saw him as the benchmark where all CEOs needed to be and as an Eels fan I was envious of the dogs for having him , after that affair I saw him as a cunning win at all costs bullshit artist . I'm not saying the latter is bad as a NRL club CEO but it surely isn't what you want as a supposedly neutral administrator .

Same. My opinion of him as a reputable club executive changed with that Barba incident.

ek999

First Grade
Carcharias knows.

Mind you, Luke Patten is video reffing his old team this weekend so what do I know.

Luke Patten is video ref for both of his old teams this weekend, he also isn't the decision maker in the box.

If you could find someone who could be head of football who does not have any ties to any NRL clubs I would like to hear who

Wizard Sleeve

Juniors
Geez if there is any truth to this then if you were TG you'd be thinking , if I only did my job then Tandy would still be here .

Packy

Bench
Carcharias knows.

How dumb are you? Patten also played for the Dragons... derp.

Refs and video refs are reffing their olds teams all over the shop. Get used to it imo.

I know Patten played for us you f**ktards.

I also know he got let go and is on the record as a bulldog man.

Oh we can't get anyone impartial? Which club is the new boss from?

It was the right step to get a professional from outside the game. Let's get another one to replace Greenberg.

And yes, let's get officials with no allegiance to a club. You clowns are kidding yourself.

Wizard Sleeve

Juniors
How dumb are you? Patten also played for the Dragons... derp.

Refs and video refs are reffing their olds teams all over the shop. Get used to it imo.

Yeah and so did Gorden Tallis but do you think of him as a dragon ? Pattern video reffing Canterbury games is like Hindmarsh doing an Eels match or Steve Menzies a Manly . Plus Patterns eyes are looking at each other so how can his judgment be trusted when he's looking at both try lines at the same time. ?

Fat Krion

Juniors
The evidence in this case seems to be the word of one bloke, that can't be confirmed by anyone else that we know of.

As well, there is no transcript on the actual conversation.

For example:-
Shell - "Tandy owes me some money for gambling debts"
Greenburg - "Talk to his manager"

To investigate the minimum you would need is some evidence that the meeting in the cafe actually took place.

So the NRL integrity unit should ask Greenburg 3 questions:-
1) Do you remember meeting in the cafe?
2) Do you remember a discussion on gambling debts?
3) Do you remember any mention of Tandy gambling on NRL matches?

If the integrity unit is not satisfied with Greenburg's answers, it can then ask him to step down.

Otherwise, it just needs to check his statements against other sources until it reach a conclusion one way or another.

The great Gonzo used the word Toxic...

MarkC

Juniors
I think the whole idea of using Ex-Players as video refs is that they are supposed to have a feel for the game.

If they are ex-players they had to play for some club or else we could use netballers as long as we are sure they have never watched a game of NRL :sarcasm:

MarkC

Juniors
With Greenburg the Bulldogs was just a stepping stone to his next career move .... if it becomes apparent that he is biased towards a particular club and that is unfairly influencing his decisions then he is not suitable for the role.

But what real evidence of bias exists can you cite a specific example?

I think the whole idea of using Ex-Players as video refs is that they are supposed to have a feel for the game.

If they are ex-players they had to play for some club or else we could use netballers as long as we are sure they have never watched a game of NRL :sarcasm:

Agreed. There are 7 other games going on though.

Put him on one of those. This can not be explained away.

MarkC

Juniors
Agreed. There are 7 other games going on though.

Put him on one of those. This can not be explained away.

I guess they are saying they trust the ex-players to be unbiased.

But if fans are worried about it, they could use to use "neutral" ex-players, if they have enough of them on the books.

They might be saving travel costs, but if there was a Sydney based "neutral" he would be preferable, even if the difference is just perception.