What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenshields is a keeper

Azkatro

First Grade
I hate to bring up again an issue that's been flogged to death for the last week or so, but I wanted to mention this. In the Dragons/Eels game when the stoush was on, obviously Barrett and Marsh are locked together. Greenshields is nearby. Parramatta's Cayless comes running in first, and incredibly, where Barrett braces himself for the impact of Cayless' arrival, Greenshields throws himself right in his path and takes him face on!!

Regardless of the outcome of the incident, that shows to me that Greenshields is clearly the kind of player you want on your side. I would suggest that he'll earn plenty of respect from his teammates with that kind of attitude. Anyone would appreciate having players like that in their team!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
He definitely stood his ground with the intention of shielding.

Cayless, as the third man coming in, hit first with a forearm / elbow to Greenshields' head.

2005_18_10fight.jpg

I said it before that Cayless could have easily been cited as well.

Dragons2005

Juniors
Marsh shouldnt have hit high and late!
Ref should have stopped play when the touch judges ran on field.
Should i go on?

Greenshields has shown he has what it takes to get a run every week and for a little fella he has a big heart thats what we need in our team.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
parra pete said:
Greenshields should have tackled the man with the ball!!!
He was too busy being taken out of play by the Parramatta captain at the time.

The Colonel

Immortal
PJ Marsh + Barrett + Greenshield + Cayless=4

Shouldn't Greenshields be in trouble as third man in as he was there before Cayless arrived? If he hadn't have been Cayless would have got to Barrett.....

*No offence meant, just being a smartarse.... ;-)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I thought you were one of the sane ones Colonel.
lol.

Greenshields got in the way of Cayless who had the definite intention to escalate the fight by thumping someone. He took exception to Greenshields being there so he delivered a forearm to his head.

And it was more than 4 as other Parra players were following their captain into the fray and joined in in thumping Greenshields, who as far as I can tell, never threw a punch himself.

Other Saints players arrived afterwards. It was Cayless who escalated it.

Its an interesting long shot if you ever get a chance to look at it. I'm still trying to work out who was the Saints player who jogged over from left centre position and actually ran across the ball carrier, McKinnon's path, ignoring him and electing instead to pull a Parra player off a Saints player.
The 'dumb idiot' was trying to protect one of his team mates.
Whistle should have been blown... the game was obviously disrupted.

The Colonel

Immortal
Did he elect to pull a player off or was he yelling at the referee? Someone was blowing up big time from the Dragons - that was just an observation BTW.

Personally, third, fourth, fifth man in - I don't really care. The Dragons were sticking up for theirs, the Eels the same. Should have been left on the field but it wasn't. It's so six days ago its not funny. ;-)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That might be someone else.
I don't know who it was and I would have preferred that he tried to tackle McKinnon - he was in a position to do so.

And Cayless was first to join in.

The Colonel

Immortal
Willow said:
I don't know who it was and I would have preferred that he tried to tackle McKinnon - he was in a position to do so.

And Cayless was first to join in.

I'm almost certain it was Bailey that was blowing up. Not sure as I haven't watched it again this week.

But if Cayless was first to join in he would have got to Barrett..... ;-)

Anyway. Work to do - we can argue about this for days and you've got Manwee to beat..... :D

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Colonel said:
I'm almost certain it was Bailey that was blowing up. Not sure as I haven't watched it again this week.
I'm pretty sure Bailey was one of two players who actually attempted to chase McKinnon. If he was blowing up, it could have been for that. Or it could have been at the ref for not stopping play.

The match was a shambles at that point. The concept of 'playing to the whistle' usually applies to normal play situations such as when a player is held or not held in a tackle.
Having said that, it would have easier if Saints played to the whistle in this case. But by then, it was a brawl and hardly a football game - all that was secondary to most players, from both sides.

If 25 players are fighting, does the ball carrier still have the right to play on? Apparently so.

Quite clearly, the brawl created the opportunity for McKinnon to score. The contest was disrupted.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion the next time a referee stops a match after a brawl erupts.

The Colonel said:
But if Cayless was first to join in he would have got to Barrett..... ;-)
Greenshields stood in his way as a shield, so Cayless thumped him instead. Was Cayless protecting his team mate when he hit Greenshields? Offcourse not.
Greenshields standing his ground was possibly what saved Cayless from being cited.

parra pete

Referee
are we going to re sign him???

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ah the echo game. I play that with my 9-year-old. He thinks its real funny too. lol

Dragons_#1, he is still on the free agents list and if the rumours are true, might go to the Gold Coast in 2007. That being the case, he is looking for a one year contract which no doubt will limit his options. Other clubs are looking but he could end up staying another year with Saints.
Again, keeping mind these are just rumours.

Dragons_#1

Bench
Willow said:
Ah the echo game. I play that with my 9-year-old. He thinks its real funny too. lol

Dragons_#1, he is still on the free agents list and if the rumours are true, might go to the Gold Coast in 2007. That being the case, he is looking for a one year contract which no doubt will limit his options. Other clubs are looking but he could end up staying another year with Saints.
Again, keeping mind these are just rumours.

Yeh i heard he was linked to the gold coast thats why i was wondering if he had re signed for a year yet?? obviously not!
he is a good solid defender and hard working fullback, would be great for another year we need the backup