What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from Tampa Bay, Florida

unforgiven

Bench
I have a few questions about some things:

Why do the referees call a knock on when a player fumbles the ball backwards or it clearly bounces backwards? Is it just the simple fact that the refs punish the error?

Why do some teams play at neutral stadiums? And do they play the same amount of matches home and away? Is there anything that I need to know about the schedule?

What the hell is going on with bye points? And how are the byes scheduled?

Why even scrum?
The knock on is to punish the error, I quite like that we are hard on the knock on rule! Bouncing backwards has nothing to do with a knock on, its the initial direction of the error that counts until it comes into contact with the ground or another player.

On the neutral stadiums issue, some bigger Sydney stadiums pay teams to play at them to allow them to generate content to sell their memberships and own sponsorships. So it's mostly financial but some of the Sydney clubs old home grounds are completely outdated!

Each team plays 24 matches, 12 at home and 12 away and 1 bye. Some clubs sell away games to other venues for financial gain.

Byes are scheduled before the 1 st and 3rd State of Origin games to lessen the impact of teams missing players. Half the teams have a bye before Origin 1 and the other half before Origin 3.

Ballgame59

Juniors
The knock on is to punish the error, I quite like that we are hard on the knock on rule! Bouncing backwards has nothing to do with a knock on, its the initial direction of the error that counts until it comes into contact with the ground or another player.

On the neutral stadiums issue, some bigger Sydney stadiums pay teams to play at them to allow them to generate content to sell their memberships and own sponsorships. So it's mostly financial but some of the Sydney clubs old home grounds are completely outdated!

Each team plays 24 matches, 12 at home and 12 away and 1 bye. Some clubs sell away games to other venues for financial gain.

Byes are scheduled before the 1 st and 3rd State of Origin games to lessen the impact of teams missing players. Half the teams have a bye before Origin 1 and the other half before Origin 3.

Thanks so much for the explanations!
I actually think it's cool that they play at neutral sites. College Football does this too. Some small schools that are not so good will sell their home game to a large venue to generate even more revenue. . Now they just need to bring a Magic round to North America! I would like to think that would be successful to the league but I fear that there is just not enough interest.

One question that I forgot to ask is - what's up with bye points?

unforgiven

Bench
Thanks so much for the explanations!
I actually think it's cool that they play at neutral sites. College Football does this too. Some small schools that are not so good will sell their home game to a large venue to generate even more revenue. . Now they just need to bring a Magic round to North America! I would like to think that would be successful to the league but I fear that there is just not enough interest.

One question that I forgot to ask is - what's up with bye points?
When you have byes in any competition that uses a points based table instead of percentages that most American sports use, it skews the competition table while the byes are occurring if you give points for bye or if you don't. If you give points it skews the points table in favour of teams that have already had a bye, if you don't give points it skews the competition in the favour of the teams that haven't had the bye!

I prefer the system of giving points as it makes it incredibly unlikely that a team will fall out of their current position by not playing.

jaseg

Juniors
lol no, After the Browns shafted Paul Brown they deserved it. Even though those Browns are now the Ravens the new Browns can suffer the consequences too!

Hey hey hey that was all Modell. The Browns hate him more than anyone.

To give the Ravens their due, at least they insisted that the name, colours and historical records for the Browns remained with Cleveland. After what the colts did, anything else would be unacceptable.

No.. they absolutely didn't insist on that - it was the end result of the city of Cleveland suing the NFL & Modell. Modell actually initially tried to take the name, colours, history etc with him, and had to cut a three way deal with the NFL & Cleveland which involved (for his part) leaving all of that behind for the eventual replacement franchise.

Ballgame59

Juniors
I prefer the system of giving points as it makes it incredibly unlikely that a team will fall out of their current position by not playing.

So if everyone gets the same amount of points from byes, what's the - um - point?

good stuff mate, please report back and let us know how it all goes!

I just sent the team a message and they said that the match is off. It was an exhibition match against touring UK Flag Military Side and they've not been able to get a hold of the other team all week.

unforgiven

Bench

Did you see the posts where I placed the blame on Art Modell? ;) The hatred for the Browns is the friendly hatred of divisional rivals, made especially worse after being swept by the Browns last season. My one and only NFL game was in Cleveland and I enjoyed it immensely, most Browns fans could not understand why someone from Australia would choose and travel to a Browns and Bengals game when there were other big market teams to go watch!

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

No.. they absolutely didn't insist on that - it was the end result of the city of Cleveland suing the NFL & Modell. Modell actually initially tried to take the name, colours, history etc with him, and had to cut a three way deal with the NFL & Cleveland which involved (for his part) leaving all of that behind for the eventual replacement franchise.
The people of Baltimore insisted. The city officials who wanted to get re elected for another term knew that taking the Browns name and records was electoral suicide.

Grapple

Bench
This thread brought to you by WATCHNRL.COM, the new NISSAN Altima - innovation that excites, and Budweiser, where there's life, there's Bud.

411full.jpg

Dogs Of War

Coach
They are already a team that I look to watch! As Unforgiven mentioned the synergy between his Tigers and Bengals, I can see some with the Browns and Dogs. Plus I'm a big fan of dogs. My 4 dogs are pretty much my life. I actually have also been lurking their forum, The Kennel for a couple of weeks now. IS there really any chance of them signing Latrell? Or is that just smoke and mirrors?

Just need a big name to sign that encourages others. As we can't talk to him till Nov officially, it is all smoke and mirrors currently.

Love the Manly boys though if I was to choose.

Ballgame59

Juniors
Just need a big name to sign that encourages others. As we can't talk to him till Nov officially, it is all smoke and mirrors currently.

Love the Manly boys though if I was to choose.

I do like watching the Manly boys. I watched that match twice yesterday. I'm just soaking it all in right now. I do enjoy watching Manly and Canberra the most though.

I'm about to watch last nights matches in a few minutes.

Yesterday I signed up for The Kennel Forum and it says my IP is banned. I've never posted anything there ever . Do you have any idea why? I've joined their Facebook page and their Twitter. Their Twitter doesn't accept messages however I did PM them on Facebook.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
I do like watching the Manly boys. I watched that match twice yesterday. I'm just soaking it all in right now. I do enjoy watching Manly and Canberra the most though.

I'm about to watch last nights matches in a few minutes.

Yesterday I signed up for The Kennel Forum and it says my IP is banned. I've never posted anything there ever . Do you have any idea why? I've joined their Facebook page and their Twitter. Their Twitter doesn't accept messages however I did PM them on Facebook.

No idea.

Latest posts