What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Hello Gentlemen and others;-)
The usual story I have been meaning to register for ages, I guess I was waiting for a trigger
which came yesterday at Dymocks and the magical discovery of "St George 11 Golden Years".
Good on you Father Ted you beat me to it!

An avid Dragons follower from listening to the 64 Grand Final as a kid couldn't quite understand Tiger Black's mumbles so switched to "Its long enough its high enough" Mr Hyde.

Sat behind the goal posts and suffered the 75 Grand Final loss. I know the highs and lows
of following a team.
Frankly, I believe we should have won 3 premierships between 2005 and 2012.
I also think that there should be a plaque in the Dragons dressing room.

"Be ruthless give em the ball for the first 20 min and belt them"

That's how we won 11 in a row and we need the Dean Young's of this world to instil that killer instinct and then we will win again.
Great forum
Cheers

SAP58

Juniors
The usual story I have been meaning to register for ages, I guess I was waiting for a trigger
which came yesterday at Dymocks and the magical discovery of "St George 11 Golden Years".

An avid Dragons follower from listening to the 64 Grand Final as a kid couldn't quite understand Tiger Black's mumbles so switched to "Its long enough its high enough" Mr Hyde.

Sat behind the goal posts and suffered the 75 Grand Final loss. I know the highs and lows
of following a team.

That's how we won 11 in a row and we need the Dean Young's of this world to instil that killer jinstinct and then we will win again.
Great forum
Cheers

Love the passion, welcome ruthless from another Dragons tragic and also a long term reader of this forum but only a recent member. :D

TruSaint

Referee

of following a team.

That's how we won 11 in a row and we need the Dean Young's of this world to instil that killer instinct and then we will win again.
Great forum
Cheers

Nice opening message... welcome to the forum.

Minh

First Grade
No pun intended but yes we should be more ruthless, ruthless dragon. I think we have too many good humble players in the team who should get in the trenches a bit more and play it a bit more rough and tough. Welcome to the forum.

Father Ted

First Grade

Cheers

Strange you said that. I picked up R2K and Kevin Ryan in my car a while back to visit a dying Dragon player at Calvary hospital and while in route of course we listened rapt to everything Kandos said ..And that above was pretty much word for word what he said his game plan was every game. BTW welcome

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Strange you said that. I picked up R2K and Kevin Ryan in my car a while back to visit a dying Dragon player at Calvary hospital and while in route of course we listened rapt to everything Kandos said ..And that above was pretty much word for word what he said his game plan was every game. BTW welcome

Welcome Ruthless.

Who was the player Father Ted?

64 Dragon

Coach
Onya, Ruthless. The 64 Grand Final was my 1st sight of the Saints. I came to live in Cronulla from Scotland in Sept 1964 and the place was covered in red and white. The rest, for me, is history.

Welcome to the forum. Lotsa fun and a great bunch of guys. (Mostly).

FundyDragon

Bench
Onya, Ruthless. The 64 Grand Final was my 1st sight of the Saints. I came to live in Cronulla from Scotland in Sept 1964 and the place was covered in red and white. The rest, for me, is history.

Welcome to the forum. Lotsa fun and a great bunch of guys. (Mostly).

ah the good old days

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Welcome aboard ruthless.

"Give 'em the ball." It's the way they played before limited tackles.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]...the opposing team would sometimes be given the ball by hooker Kearney in the scrum.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The opposing pack would find themselves in rare possession only to beaten into submission by an uncompromising St George 'brick wall' of defence.

http://dragons.leagueunlimited.com/history/1956-1959.php
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
A big welcome to you Ruthless...glad to have you onboard......like 64 been a long time supporter of the Red and White and started following the mighty Dragons from around 1960 when I also lived in The Shire...and started playing league for Cronulla/Caringbah....this is a great forum with great people....we don't always agree but that's half the fun.....I especially like some of the one liners that appear on here and they always bring a smile to my face (well most of the time)....as you can appreciate we are not having the best of years ...BUT we will be back up there soon.

Last edited:

Father Ted

First Grade
Welcome Ruthless.

Who was the player Father Ted?

Ross Kite .. Died in 2004 RIP.. Seems not that long to me but nine years.. Ryan and Kite were talking , we were listening and they had a lot in common they both went to Canterbury because the Berries were willing to pay big to get a winning culture. But before that happened they played a game against each other and Ryan admitted Kite put a shot on him that really put him into dream land for a while . One of the very few to ever do it..

inside_pass

Bench
We might be having a shocking season but the mighty Saints will always have a strong tradition and very passionate supporters!
Love the great stories and nostalgia of our great club!!!!!!

Welcome Ruthless.

Is your Name really Ruth ?

MY first view of Saints - Attended my first game Sants v Wests at Lidcombe Oval in 1975. We lost 21-14. I love the highs and lows ...but this one is too low for my liking.

No pun intended but yes we should be more ruthless, ruthless dragon. I think we have too many good humble players in the team who should get in the trenches a bit more and play it a bit more rough and tough. Welcome to the forum.

...and that's coming from our Mr Nice Guy Minh ...so must be true.

(BTW ...I agree !! )

jenninga

First Grade
A big welcome to you Ruthless...glad to have you onboard......like 64 been a long time supporter of the Red and White and started following the mighty Dragons from around 1960 when I also lived in The Shire...and started playing league for Cronulla/Caringbah....this is a great forum with great people....we don't always agree but that's half the fun.....I especially like some of the one liners that appear on here and they always bring a smile to my face (well most of the time)....as you can appreciate we are not having the best of years ...BUT we will be back up there soon.

Gee there are some old farts on here,oh hang on i'm in my fifties.
Gee there are some top people on here,welcome ruthless.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Thanks all and sundry and no bandwagoner here:).
Correct me if I am wrong didn't the Broncos also believe in giving the opposition the ball and belting them?

I don't think it matters whether unlimited, 4 tackle or the current format.
Its about intimidation like Reddy in 77;-)
I thought Folkes was the tough nut?
Let us hope next year is a beauty.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Welcome aboard Ruthless
I think we're going to need a draw on a few memories from the past as this year draws on.
We are luckier than most in that department
Absolutely agree with your ruthless philosophy too
Try to be a little more controversial in the future ;-)
Cheers

Thanks all and sundry and no bandwagoner here:).
Correct me if I am wrong didn't the Broncos also believe in giving the opposition the ball and belting them?

I don't think it matters whether unlimited, 4 tackle or the current format.
Its about intimidation like Reddy in 77;-)
I thought Folkes was the tough nut?
Let us hope next year is a beauty.

Welcome ruthless.
IMO the biggest problem with the using the old "give 'em the ball" philosophy these days is the ten metre rule as opposed to the old 5 yard/5 metres.