What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird Signs with Dragons

Apey

Staff member
Lol..

I don't think BF is capable of creating intentional humour but if he could, Timmah wouldn't recognise or have a bar of it. Rather than a joke it seems it was more intended to stir Timmah... mission accomplished, title dilemma solved :cool:

Anyway, who gives a sh*t? Bye bye birdy :nwave:

IanG

Coach
I'm confused. The way I see it is it'd be a kin to a player from the UK wanting to play in the NRL but Australian Imigration don't grant him a work permit cuz he has a record and he goes and signed with the New Zealand Warriors

Phillips

Referee
"Bird gets sent off for kneeing South's Shane Martene in 2004. One of the most disgusting pieces of violent and illegal play ever witnessed in the NRL. "

i think the only thing more disgusting was Martene's team mates.. who let Bird go untouched.

The Tank

Bench
I'm glad he's found a club to continue whats left of his career and hopefully we don't hear much more about him now. Hope Carney goes awell. I don't know why Carney didn't look at Catalans or Toulouse for a contract TBH.

Hindyscrack

Bench
I'm confused. The way I see it is it'd be a kin to a player from the UK wanting to play in the NRL but Australian Imigration don't grant him a work permit cuz he has a record and he goes and signed with the New Zealand Warriors

Slightly different situation.... Welcome to the world of the EU

Basically Bird will be free to play at home in France, he will have to declare that he has been charged while crossing the border to play in England. From here, it will be up to the individual customs officer to allow him entry to play.

However, seeing as he has a french work permit (EU) and in most cases is only in the counrty a few days to compete in a proffesional sport, I cant see him being denied entry.

He was only denied a work permit for the UK (in which there has been a massive tightening recently) I am sure if he was to visit the UK, even as a tourist he wouldnt be denied a VISA.

Canard

Immortal
Has he been granted his French visa yet?

I get the feeling that this isn't all over yet, and that he may be rejected entry also.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Has he been granted his French visa yet?

I get the feeling that this isn't all over yet, and that he may be rejected entry also.
I don't think that they'll have any reason to deny his visa - sure he has a criminal record but I don't think that in France that's enough to deny someone a visa. If this is true, then he'll be able to play games in England too.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
why is that unfair? suck it up i say. if thats the governmnets criteria for letting people in the country then then sign someone else.

the NRL has taken a very tough stance (I think its silly considering he hasnt been convicted of a thing yet), why does another league need to follow. if the NRL has taken to deregistering bird because he has brought the game into disrepute then it shouldnt affect another league in another country. i mean their papers werent filled with greg birds facebook photos.

let the kid play - if he's guilty then i agree with everything you've posted, but until then i think he should be able to earn a living

OK fair enough, he hasn't been convicted of anything yet so let the kid play in another comp. He is innocent until proven guilty.

But I still reckon Catalans have gained an unfair advantage over the other British Super League clubs. There's one rule for them and another for the rest. Could you imagine something like that happened in the NRL where the Warriors could sign players that weren't allowed in Australia? And isn't it in the RFL's best interests to ensure their competition is conducted in a fair manner for all clubs?

And I still reckon that if Catalans and the RFL were fair dinkum about their import quotas they shouldn't have signed him. Admittedly that's a seperate issue entirely from the Greg Bird case. It just shows of their poor attitude to developing local players and the high dependancy and worrying 'quick-fix' mentality that still hasn't gone away.

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
Slightly different situation.... Welcome to the world of the EU

Basically Bird will be free to play at home in France, he will have to declare that he has been charged while crossing the border to play in England. From here, it will be up to the individual customs officer to allow him entry to play.

Have they re-installed the Customs Department then?

As far as I was aware - as long as you were in England - you could travel to France and back without ever seeing a Border or Customs Official.

Just get on the Chunnel and you're there.

bartman

Immortal
I think Catalans have advanced to the point where they travel by plane to games, and come through airports ;-)

Canard

Immortal
Have they re-installed the Customs Department then?

As far as I was aware - as long as you were in England - you could travel to France and back without ever seeing a Border or Customs Official.

Just get on the Chunnel and you're there.

Its not Customs, its Immigration, and yes on the Eurostar you still have to clear immigration to travel to and from England and France.

Customs in the UK and Europe is virtually non-existent for "within EU" travel it exists, but they either are not staffed or do very random spot checks on about 1 in 1000.

Anyone entering or leaving the UK has to clear immigration, once you are inside "mainland" Europe you can pretty much travel quite freely between countries and across borders.