What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird Signs with Dragons

Bulldog Force

Referee
What a sh*tty thread title. He signed with the Catalan Dragons. First glance, anyone would think Saints, being the NRL forum.
I thought he got banned from playing NRL in Australia? If this is true it really only leaves 1 other big named 'Dragons' team, correct.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm sure it would've been so difficult for the initial poster to type "Catalan" ;-)

Bluebags1908

Juniors
If the UK Rugby Football League had any balls, they would not register Greg Bird's contract with Catalans.

Firstly, it would be unfiar for Hull who were denied the oportunity to sign him, which leaves the Catalans with the unfair advantage of being allowed to sign some players that the rest of the English team's competing in the same competition can't.

And secondly, they should be fair dinkum about promoting the game with role models and protecting the game's image and 'drawing a moral line in the sand' for other players to take heed of, and show support to the NRL and their very own British Government which have torn up his contract and denied him a visa.

And Thirdly, if they were serious about reducing the amount of imports and show that they are serious about their new mickey-mouse import quotas they currently have in place, they should have not registered his contract.

Timmah

Staff member
Nope, the clause is he can't live in England on a working VISA. Says nothing about France and holidaying I imagine is fine - which is what each match would be, a holiday.

warren

Juniors
If the UK Rugby Football League had any balls, they would not register Greg Bird's contract with Catalans.

Firstly, it would be unfiar for Hull who were denied the oportunity to sign him, which leaves the Catalans with the unfair advantage of being allowed to sign some players that the rest of the English team's competing in the same competition can't..

why is that unfair? suck it up i say. if thats the governmnets criteria for letting people in the country then then sign someone else.

And secondly, they should be fair dinkum about promoting the game with role models and protecting the game's image and 'drawing a moral line in the sand' for other players to take heed of, and show support to the NRL and their very own British Government which have torn up his contract and denied him a visa

the NRL has taken a very tough stance (I think its silly considering he hasnt been convicted of a thing yet), why does another league need to follow. if the NRL has taken to deregistering bird because he has brought the game into disrepute then it shouldnt affect another league in another country. i mean their papers werent filled with greg birds facebook photos.

let the kid play - if he's guilty then i agree with everything you've posted, but until then i think he should be able to earn a living

adamkungl

Immortal
This isn't the first i've heard of Bird signing with Catalans...it has been talked about for a week or two now. So St George Illawarra did not enter my head when i saw the thread title...

Timmah

Staff member
Again, originally posted by Bulldog Force, he's the one behind the time, f*kka :)

bartman

Immortal
Well I guess Catalans will get a couple of games out of the turd before his court date in Oz, after which he may not be allowed the freedom to go back ;-)

Hope they haven't paid him in advance...

Iafeta

Referee
What joke? Just looks like BF misleading people to me :?

Misleading people? 'Sif you see the massive line up of posts deploring the title. You need to adopt a more Officer Barbrady-ish style to your forum copping, nothing to see here, move along.

Dave Q

Coach
Bird should read this:

Crime

There is a high incidence of petty crime, especially bag snatching and pickpocketing, throughout France particularly on the streets of larger cities such as Paris, Marseilles and Nice. Airports, public transport, tourist areas, hotel lobbies, restaurants and cafes, and beaches are prime targets for thieves who frequently work in gangs using a variety of methods to distract potential victims. Increasingly, such crime is being accompanied by acts or threats of violence. There are frequent reports of crime, including robbery and muggings, on the train system servicing Roissy-Charles-de-Gaulle and Orly Airports. Travellers are advised to consider other means of transport from the airports to Paris, such as bus or taxi, particularly late at night and early in the morning.
There is a growing incidence of violent attacks against tourists by groups of young people, usually occurring late at night around major tourist attractions such as the Champs-Elysees, the Les Halles district, the Latin Quarter in central Paris and the environs of the Gare du Nord train station, or in the vicinity of main train stations in the provinces.
There have been increasing reports of crimes targeting vehicles, such as purse snatching from cars stopped in traffic, particularly in the south of France between the cities of Perpignan (near the Spanish border) and Menton (near the Italian border). You should be particularly vigilant at isolated automated service stations and avoid sleeping in rest areas beside autoroutes (motorways) and major roads, or in makeshift or unauthorised camp grounds on the outskirts of cities.
Credit card and ATM fraud involving 'skimming' machines which can store card data is rising, particularly at automated service stations and in tourist areas.
You should be wary of strangers that invite you for a complimentary drink or show at a private club. Some foreigners who have accepted such offers have had large sums debited from their credit cards before they have been permitted to leave the venue.

courstesy: smarttraveller.gov.au

0,,6218072,00.jpg

Bird gets sent off for kneeing South's Shane Martene in 2004. One of the most disgusting pieces of violent and illegal play ever witnessed in the NRL.

0,,6218077,00.jpg

He got ten weeks for it. Some say he should never have been allowed to play another game of football.

pic: news ltd

The crooks in France would want to be careful mugging Birdy.

pic; news ltd.

Last edited: