What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

greg bird!

Since 73

First Grade
redbacks back:

You've probably only seen Gavin Miller on your footy card retro collection.

Interesting comment.

100% of football fans would actually say you were the guy who hadn't seen GM play - simply due to the fact you compare Greg Bird to him.

One is a team captain who had a gift that you see every...well I don't know know how long between players, because there have only been 2. Miller and Beetson.
To consistently conjure tries from nothing and put guys thru holes that aren't there in the middle of the ruck. To take out almost every major award in his sport. To pull of 50 tackles per week....

The other is a guy who has been playing first grade for 2 years because of the fact that each coach has his favourites, and he is lucky enough to be Raper's.

Actually Redbacks, forget card collections. - I question if you even know who the hell Gavin Miller is.
I think you may be thinking of someone else and have him mixed up with Gavin Orr.

Gavin Orr = Greg Bird.
Now I see where you're coming from.

Sharkie™

Juniors
i hope birds sudden form explosion wasnt a ploy to get a new contract and once he is resigned he returns to his old ways.

redbacks back

Juniors
Since 73 said:
Interesting comment.

Actually Redbacks, forget card collections. - I question if you even know who the hell Gavin Miller is.
I think you may be thinking of someone else and have him mixed up with Gavin Orr.

Gavin Orr = Greg Bird.
Now I see where you're coming from.

Maybe you are thinking of the playstation version of Greg Bird???

Personally I see some similarities in Greg Bird and a young Gavin Miller. Now surely you know someone who can explain that to you!

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Gavin Miller at Bird's age was a very ordinary centre actually. He was no where near as big as Bird is at the same age and never got anywhere near as big as Bird in his whole career. He did have big shoulder pads though. :)

redbacks back

Juniors
Frenzy. said:
Gavin Miller at Bird's age was a very ordinary centre actually. He was no where near as big as Bird is at the same age and never got anywhere near as big as Bird in his whole career. He did have big shoulder pads though. :)

Good point frenzy. Alot of people seem to think that Miller was turning it on when he was 18. It took him a few years to hit his straps. He was a far better player at 30 that he was at 20.

Since 73

First Grade
redbacks back:

Personally I see some similarities in Greg Bird and a young Gavin Miller. Now surely you know someone who can explain that to you!

OK RB, I just got someone to explain it to me.
Now I understand what you are talking about.

When you said Bird was similiar to GM, you didn't mean the Sharks legend with the wonderful sleight of hand.
You meant the young 17/18 year old Western Suburbs and Eastern Suburbs centre struggling to make an impression in first grade.

Yeah, I guess that's about right. Although Miller did see less of the bench than Bird even at that age.

Isurus

Juniors
carinashark said:
I think he should be let go . He dose nothing in offloads ( compare Thommo and Gal) . Cannot break the line/tackle and lacks the footwork to put defenders in two minds. In defence he hits sorta hard and is usefull in the two man tackle but dosent seem to trouble the ball carrier. Look for somthing better .

There is plenty of rubbish spoken on this forum, but that just about takes the cake!!...."cannot break the line/tackle"....surely you jest??

Jo Ryan

Juniors
Glad to see that Birdy is staying. His had his ups and downs, but deserves his spot. Afterall he has been part of the team for some time. Good Luck to Birdy.

:)

Chondricthyes

Juniors
It takes everyone different times to mature, it looks as tho he is getting there.

Backrow is DEFINITELY for him, building himself up ,his game just seems to be made for it.

He ain't what I'd call a consistantly good player- yet- but he has certainly made some strides towards that.

Good luck to him. If he continues his improvemnt I'II back him.

For some on this forum it doesn't make one jot of difference if a young player improves- but as I said- It takes everyone different times to mature.

i_Luv_Birdie

Juniors
when will we get a press announcement or whatever they call it confirming it..
sorry if it has already been posted but how long is the contract for
thanks

Bundy

Juniors
was on the back page of todays Leader. Perhaps someone with a scanner can scan it for you. Sorry, don't have access to one.

Special K

Coach
yeah can someone scan it puh-lease.

Any details yet? I'm assuming its the standard cronulla 2 year deal?

i_Luv_Birdie

Juniors
Special K said:
yeah can someone scan it puh-lease.

Any details yet? I'm assuming its the standard cronulla 2 year deal?

yehh well his last contract was a 2 year deal so i suppose so
how long is thommos contract for?

fatshark

Bench
Yeah lets hope he continues the good form and hasnt just stepped up because of the contract issue. Seems to happen a lot to the club with players stepping up during the resign time.

Foz

Bench
From Todays Telegraph
Column Hush Hush by James Hooper

Big Deal For Bird

Look for rugged Cronulla back rower Greg Bird to ink a new 3-year $500,000 deal with the Sharks by Monday.
Pound for pound one of the NRL's toughest customers,we hear Bird holds aspirations of captaining the Sharks in the future.

Breadman

Juniors
I can handle $500,000 over 3 years. If he keeps up his current form he would've earned every cent.