What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis to play for Essendon?

beads6

First Grade
The Storm will have to release one of the big 4 or lose a hell of a lot of mid tier players,

beads6

First Grade
I reckon he will go to NFL if he can get a contract, way more money and the chance of a lifetime IMO.

Noa

First Grade
contrated till 2012, next contract is due when salary cap will get a big jump.

GI aint going nowhere

El Diablo

Post Whore
it's amusing that no one wants to go to Union :lol:

i think it's scare tactics from his manager to get the NRL to change their mind on players taking pay cuts to stay

you never know with Inglis though. the guy from Bowraville NSW who wanted to play for Queensland now doesn't want to leave Victoria

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
I reckon he will go to NFL if he can get a contract, way more money and the chance of a lifetime IMO.

Like the Pro-Kick (or whatever they are called) guy posted here a while back, If anything he would have to a pay cut to play NFL. Because NFL teams would only take him on a minimum salary intially.

beads6

First Grade
Like the Pro-Kick (or whatever they are called) guy posted here a while back, If anything he would have to a pay cut to play NFL. Because NFL teams would only take him on a minimum salary intially.

Yes but if he makes it heis looking at well over 1 million a year... He should have a crack and if he doesn't make it the NRL will take him back.

Canard

Immortal
But could he be arsed to spend 2 to 3 years on less money, with no guarantee of making it?

I rate him at 1000's of doing that.

If you ask me I reckon Inglis is spewing "f**k that should have been me not Izzy!".

That sort of dosh just isn't available from any AFL clubs basically ever again.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
i think it's scare tactics from his manager to get the NRL to change their mind on players taking pay cuts to stay

Has anyone got a direct quote from the NRL to that effect? I've seen it once or twice in articles but its never been a direct quote. It would be really interesting if that was challenged.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Has anyone got a direct quote from the NRL to that effect? I've seen it once or twice in articles but its never been a direct quote. It would be really interesting if that was challenged.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-demands-storm-player-sale-20100427-tq7k.html

''What we have said thus far is that pay cuts don't solve their 2010 problems and may not solve their 2011 problems,'' Gallop said.

He added that altering contracts to enable the players to remain at the Storm under the salary cap was also unfair to other clubs who had been unable to compete fairly for their services.

''The problem with pay cuts is that they ignore the amount that was used to take that player out of the market,'' Gallop said. RLPA boss David Garnsey and some player agents contacted by the Herald suggested the players with third-party guarantees could remove them from their contracts to help the club.

But Gallop said: ''That is tantamount to a pay cut.''

RL1908

Bench
While Essendon is playing the Swans at the SCG tomorrow, Bombers boss Ian Robson yesterday flew into Sydney a day earlier than his team for a meeting with Inglis' agent Al Gainey at a Sydney cafe.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/greg-inglis-in-talks-with-bombers/story-e6frf9jf-1225875720478

For those who may not recall the name Ian Robson...

Prior to that I worked in Leeds, England as general manager of marketing - and then chief executive - of the SuperLeague rugby league competition. Prior to that I spent a year in Sydney as the general manager of marketing of the Superleague competition and prior to that I had four years in Auckland as the inaugural chief executive of the Auckland Warriors
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=7058

Stormcap

Juniors

the NFL has different contracts players arent always guaranteed to get money if they get injured they dont get paid and an untried player like Inglis would be on a contract where he can get cut at anytime, with no pay. So while there is potentially alot of money if he does well if he fails he would get very little.

Seems to me like he just wants to stay in Melbourne and is doing this to put off any NRl pressure to make him leave the storm.

chrisD

Coach
Considering how often GI goes missing in League, you'd be hard pressed to find him on an AFL field where he can just hide in no mans land for the 5 hours a week.

E.T.D

Juniors
Robson was just interviewed on SEN and said talks with Inglis's manager were just exploratory and it didn't get as far as talking dollars. When asked what his chances were of playing for Essendon in preference to NRL, NFL or Union, he said they were miniscule.

My opinion is that if he is determined to stay in Melbourne and switch codes, only three clubs are cashed up enough to obtain his services. They are Essendon, Collingwood and Hawthorn. On what he earns now, I really don't see how he could earn anymore playing AFL, because the marketing component of any contract would be negligible.

little_aza

Juniors
Essendon haven't confirmed this yet, I think it could be BS

My guess is that it is indeed garbage. Defecting to AFL seems to be flavour of the month, too. And the Storm aren't hosing this down, because it appears that defections are a key point in their legal case against the NRL.

This is good publicity for the Storm here in Melbourne: it generates more interest in our game, something we're starved of.

Greenbits

Juniors
it's amusing that no one wants to go to Union :lol:

you never know with Inglis though. the guy from Bowraville NSW who wanted to play for Queensland now doesn't want to leave Victoria

Would make him the perfect marketing tool in Western Sydney IMO :sarcasm:

Latest posts