What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grey "cited" for racism

Copa

Bench
http://www.themercury.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12561791%5E23209,00.html

If proven he should be hung out to dry as RU in South Africa are doing a lot of work to get black kids involved in the sport.... racist comments have no place.

Cats wing Chumani Booi has claimed Grey, the veteran midfielder who is heading offshore at the end of the season, referred to him as a "black c---".

Cats team manager Mac Hendricks confirmed to The Daily Telegraph last night the franchise had lodged a protest with the regional tournament director in South Africa, Johan Botes.

"There is an allegation and it needs to be investigated," Hendricks said from Johannesburg.

"We were told about it by the player himself after the game and by another player who claims to have witnessed it.

"At the time Chumani was definitely upset. We have sent a letter of complaint (to Botes) for whatever needs to be done. I'm not sure if it is dealt with by the South African Rugby Union or the (tournament controlling body) SANZAR. At this stage we're also waiting on written statements from our two players."

Hendricks said he had not raised the issue, officially or otherwise, with the Waratahs at this stage.

"According to the SANZAR regulations, there is a process to work through and that's what we are doing," he said.

"I have not spoken to anyone at NSW because it is a bit delicate.

"I did not want to speak to them directly in case it jeopardised the process."

Hendricks declined to comment on the specifics of the alleged racial taunt. But Cats full back Conrad Jantjes was quoted yesterday in the Afrikaans daily newspaper Beeld saying: "Even if we think it's not so bad, what must a guy like Lote Tuqiri think if a teammate of his speaks like that?"

ThrashViking

Juniors
What happened to the South African world cup squad member who was kicked out for refusing to sleep in the same room as a black squad member? Havent heard his name since that incident.
I'll say Grey will cop a long suspension and a large fine if found guilty, racism should not be tolerated in any sport.

dimitri

First Grade
in cricket something similar happened

when one of the sri lankan players allegedly called one of the aussies a white merkin

i dont think anything happened there either???

Matt M

Juniors
Its too hard to prove if something happened, the SA player will say he called me a rascist name, and Grey will say he didn't. They can't do anything about it really unless the referee heard it or it was caught on a microphone.

Thomas

First Grade
I think its a bit of a beat up really. The South African media aren't the most liberal of thinkers.

Even so, if it is proven true, Grey should be heavily fined.

girvie

Staff member
Second rower Justin Harrison has admitted he was the player who made that remark not Nathan Grey. Heard that on the radio.
Harrison has been named in the team for this weekends match.

Copa

Bench
girvie said:
Second rower Justin Harrison has admitted he was the player who made that remark not Nathan Grey. Heard that on the radio.
Harrison has been named in the team for this weekends match.

Should be massively punished.

taipan

Referee
Thomas said:
I think its a bit of a beat up really. The South African media aren't the most liberal of thinkers.

Even so, if it is proven true, Grey should be heavily fined.

Hardly a beatup. Harrison needs to be hung and quartered,there is no place for racism anywhere including sport.The South African rugby union decades ago was a perfect example of ignporance in human dignity.
They learnt the lesson the hard way,and so should Harrison the boofhead.

Thomas

First Grade
So what would have happened if Harrison had called a Saffa player a white c#$t?

Nothing.

He'll be punished and rightly so, but at least he had the balls to come forward.

I see the Saffa media is thinking its all a conspiracy theory and that Harrison is taking the fall for Grey. I mean come on.....

At least we all know it was Harrison on the grassy knoll.

Copa

Bench
Thomas said:
So what would have happened if Harrison had called a Saffa player a white c#$t?

Nothing.

He'll be punished and rightly so, but at least he had the balls to come forward.

You don't know what would happen if he called a player a "white merkin".

Are you suggesting what he did isn't as bad as portrayed or that there are different standards depending upon the victim of such abuse???

He had no choice but to come forward... many of his team mates had question marks over their heads as it was confirmed the comment was made... but nobody knew by whom.

Minority groups remember this sort of stuff and take note of what the punishments are. At various times overseas I've been spat at, assaulted and abused because of who I am ....

Mongrels like Harrison should be removed from the game....and families should not put their kids into sports with governing bodies that don't treat this sort of stuff extremely harshly.

I'd like to know what the punishment will be.

skeepe

Immortal
Harrison should be sacked with immediate effect. No other punishment will be sever enough.

Thomas

First Grade
There was a similar case in the NRL a few years ago when a player was called a black c#$t. Anyone remember the case and the outcome?

bayrep

Juniors
Its going through the SANZA process at the moment which is the reason NSWRU hasnt acted as they dont want to disrupt the process. The SA player that wouldnt sleep in the same room as a dark player I think was banned for 6 months from mem. But I havent seen him in the bulls team since. I cant see them ending Harrisons contract I think he will be fined and sidelined for maybe the rest of the season.

bayrep

Juniors
Thomas said:
There was a similar case in the NRL a few years ago when a player was called a black c#$t. Anyone remember the case and the outcome?

Wasnt that agaisnt a St George player ?? cant remember what happened.

Copa

Bench
Thomas said:
I don't remember this case.... but judging by the way some players are punished in the NRL nowadays he would be in deep sh$t.

Thomas

First Grade
Thats right it was the Barry Ward saga. Apparently Ward made a racist remark to Anthony Mundine and was fined $10,000 which was later reduced to $5,000.

Not sure if he was suspended though

skeepe

Immortal
bayrep said:
Its going through the SANZA process at the moment which is the reason NSWRU hasnt acted as they dont want to disrupt the process.

Fair enough, but how would standing him down from matches until the enquiry is complete have an effect on the process? The inquiry is not into guilt - that has already been established by Harrison himself.

bayrep

Juniors
skeepe said:
bayrep said:
Its going through the SANZA process at the moment which is the reason NSWRU hasnt acted as they dont want to disrupt the process.

Fair enough, but how would standing him down from matches until the enquiry is complete have an effect on the process? The inquiry is not into guilt - that has already been established by Harrison himself.

The way the NSWRU see it is that if they stood him down then its as good as a suspension which may effect what punishment that SANZA would dish out. SANZA have admitted that after investigating it that they may just hand it over to the NSWRU to dish out punishment after its internal investigation. I think you and I would more see it as an act of good faith if Harrison was stood down until the investigation was completed.

Latest posts